Pics of Randy's picks..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Lespauly
Cool Member

Re: Pics of Randy's picks..

Post by Lespauly »

I got one of Randys and its just a regular Fender medium--off the Diary tour in B-ham AL..Anybody see that show and take any pics??I would love to have just one..I also got Randys autograph..
Attachments
P1010257.JPG
Last edited by Lespauly on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

amazing man, yea that's the thing, at that point he didn't have custom pics. Just the generic Fenders, but least you know it was from him!. That's worth more than anything.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Lespauly wrote:I got one of Randys and its just a regular Fender medium--off the Diary tour in B-ham AL..Anybody see that show and take any pics??I would love to have just one..I also got Randys autograph..
Thats a couple of very sort after items you have there. Did you get the pick from Randy when he was on stage or was it the same time you got the pass signed ?.

Thats such a coincidence that i've got a GUEST ACT pass from the support band UFO and it is from the USA 1982 Diary of a Madman tour.
It's from the same show 6th March Boutwell Auditorium Birmingham Al concert and it's signed by 3 members of UFO Phil Mogg,Pete Way and Paul Chapman. It's a pity its not signed by Randy but never mind its a nice little piece for my collection..

Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Randy never threw a pic at the show if I remember correctly-I tried to get him to as I was on the front row right in front of him-I got it from a roadie-who was coming and going from the bus..I said "hey man can ya get me a Randy guitar pic" and He said something like "Yea but give me a few minutes".. Ive collected guitar pics for years and tried to get some at ever show..Anybody got any pics from this show in B-ham AL??
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

The pass/sigs is not legit for the DOAM tour era. Pete Way and Phil Mogg sigs may have been from that actual date, but the Paul Raymond one definitely was not as Paul was not in UFO during the 81-82 period of DOAM tour. Paul was in MSG and Neil Carter was the touring/studio rhythm guitarist/keyboardist for UFO during that entire time (The "Mechanix" tour) and from 1981-1983. If all three sigs are in the same ink then the pass was signed way after 1982 as those three didn't play together again till the UFO reunion with Schenker starting in 1995.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

TAB wrote:The pass/sigs is not legit for the DOAM tour era. Pete Way and Phil Mogg sigs may have been from that actual date, but the Paul Raymond one definitely was not as Paul was not in UFO during the 81-82 period of DOAM tour. Paul was in MSG and Neil Carter was the touring/studio rhythm guitarist/keyboardist for UFO during that entire time (The "Mechanix" tour) and from 1981-1983. If all three sigs are in the same ink then the pass was signed way after 1982 as those three didn't play together again till the UFO reunion with Schenker starting in 1995.
My mistake Tom, the signature is of the other Paul in the band Paul 'Tonka' Chapman the same guy who organised the dentist for Randy. He lived in Florida and had organised an appointment for his arrival at the International Hilton hotel. Sadly Randy never made that trip as it was the next day after the accident. Randy became very close friends with Paul during the tour and was a big fan of Michael Schenker and UFO. This is mentioned in Garry Sharpe Young's book Ozzy Osbourne a very good read for any RR or Ozzy fan.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Lespauly wrote:Randy never threw a pic at the show if I remember correctly-I tried to get him to as I was on the front row right in front of him-I got it from a roadie-who was coming and going from the bus..I said "hey man can ya get me a Randy guitar pic" and He said something like "Yea but give me a few minutes".. Ive collected guitar pics for years and tried to get some at ever show..Anybody got any pics from this show in B-ham AL??
I noticed your other post on how you met the bus driver, Randy & Tommy. Very interesting, i'm into collecting memorabilia from bands etc. Do you have a big collection of guitar pics ?. I have a good collection leading back to the late 70's but sadly the picks didn't start to get personalised with signatures and band names until well into the 80's. As you'll know with Randy's pick being a standard generic Fender pick throughout his career. I don't think he ever had any named picks made for him. The one's that have been seen on the web are more then likely fakes.
It's strange as Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi used the very same kind of pick as Randy's. I managed to get one from a guy in Newcastle (my home town) this was stuck to his concert ticket from the 1978 tour.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Yea Ive got alot of pics over the yrs-most where off the floor after the concerts-some where handed or thrown out-and yes the early ones where usually the stock fender mediums.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Pauly would you make another thread and show us some of the other picks you've collected. I'd like to see what one's you have. I'll show you some of the one's ive collected over the years. Cheers :wink: