Seven Ages Of Rock

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Seven Ages Of Rock

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I have run into past documentaries on Heavy Metal but never saw coverage of Randy's plane crash like this. There is actual video footage of the accident with the cops climbing over the debris in the garage after the plane struck. I've always seen the flyby with the helicopter from above but nothing like this. It's only for a few seconds but it is cool to see it. Has anyone here posted this before? I'd like to see more of this in the upcoming documentary. It is very powerful stuff. (2:44 mark)

Seven Ages Of Rock "Never Say Die" (Heavy Metal) (Part 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbk68vwOz0
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

They broadcasted this a few weeks ago on tv there.
I was very suprised when I switched on my tv to see suddenly Randy playing Crazy Train. :shock: After that the accident came.....
(but some of inaccuracies in the comments there)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: (but some of inaccuracies in the comments there)
Pat what i cannot understand is how the narrator (Mick Wall) fucks up on some very known facts about the crash. The same guy wrote a very precise and detailed account of Ozzy's career in his book 'Diary of a Madman' which was authorized and forwarded by Ozzy and later on he comes out with all these made up accounts ?. I know that Mick Wall had a very weird life style being a junkie and a heroin addict. While actively being a muso journalist. So he may of made a few mistakes during editing this programme. When was that programme made ?. I think the Madman book was wrote in 1985 -86.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

That particular episode, (#4 Never Say Die), originally aired 6/9/07.
Apparently it was co-produced by the BBC and VH1 Classic.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
The Flying Dutchman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote: (but some of inaccuracies in the comments there)
Pat what i cannot understand is how the narrator (Mick Wall) fucks up on some very known facts about the crash. The same guy wrote a very precise and detailed account of Ozzy's career in his book 'Diary of a Madman' which was authorized and forwarded by Ozzy and later on he comes out with all these made up account
What about this one: "Sharon discovered Randy"?
Somehow all his inaccuracies seems to be in favor of the Osbournes.....
Is he close to them or something?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

it sounds like hes an osbourne hound...instead of saying that dana strum recommended randy to ozzy, now its oh sharon discovered randy?please!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Maybe what they meant was Dana Strum brought Randy to the attention to Sharon, who then organized the audition.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

good point nic..
The Flying Dutchman

NicDots wrote:Maybe what they meant was Dana Strum brought Randy to the attention to Sharon, who then organized the audition.
Then I would sooner say that Ozzy discovered Randy......
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I would agree with you. But "discovered" means different things to different people. Columbus "discovered" the Americas although Leif Erricson and the Vikings actually got to North America 300-400 years earlier, although not many would say he "discovered" it.
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

I guess you can go back and read and listen to all of the interviews Randy gave on the subject of who brought Randy to Ozzy's attention. Or history can be re-written as it often is. :roll: I guess it all depends on what you think "it" means ? :fish:
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Tito and I both thought my point was somewhat valid. No need to roll the eyes.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I can honestly say I have never seen a quote attributed to Randy with Dana Strum's name in it. In every quote I remember, Randy simply said that apparently Ozzy had auditioned every guitarist in L.A. and he'd not heard a thing because he was busy teaching and gigging with Quiet Riot.

So, I agree with Nic, it is possible that Strum brought Randy to Sharon's attention and she set up the audition. Remember, Ozzy was a drunk living in a hotel room when sharon came to him.
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

NicDots, not rolling eyes at you at all, and actually had nothing to do with your post. It often happens that people re-write history to benefit themselves. That is where the rolling eyes come in. Rashomon is a perfect example. Sorry if you took it that way, not my intent at all. I guess I would rather hear the facts from Randy's interviews/articles and his family, then the people who continue to profit from his incredible talent. From what I understand Sharon was not even there that night, and Ozzy told her about Randy after, Randy did his audition. But I heard this from friends and family back in 79', so I could be wrong! :fish:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

whoa i was only posting what i read over and over about how randy was introduced/recommended by dana strum...if im wrong then i apologize for relaying the obvious misinformation that i have read..rrfish no disrespect intended on my post at all..