How many real fans do you think Randy Rhoads really has?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose
Cool Member

How many real fans do you think Randy Rhoads really has?

Post by romeorose »

I know fans of Randy Rhoads probably like to imagine him as having millions & millions of fans, but I'm wondering how many real fans does he have right at this moment?

I mean, TK & UR are the only substantial groups of people on the internet when it comes to Randy Rhoads.

TK only has about 1,502 members

UR has about 836 members

I think it's safe to say that the majority of members of UR are probably also members at TK

And also, there's quite a few inactive accounts on both TK & UR

As well as some people using multiple nicknames on the boards.

I've been looking at the boards every day for a couple years now, and it always seems like the same small group of people that do most of the posting, I would probably go as far as to say there's less than 200 members on both boards combined that post at least once a month.

Now my mind is thinking, if someone is a real fan of randy in this day and time, they have a computer and know how to type in randy rhoads in google, and doing so would easily bring them to these two groups.

But yet, there's not a HUGE amount of members on the two groups combined, let alone active members.

I mean I remember when I first found these groups I was SHOCKED when I seen how few members there were. I was expecting there to be 20 or 30 thousand at least.

So what do you think the deal with all this is?

Why dosen't Randy have more fans?

I mean it seems like the majority of Randys fans are fellow guitar players, or at least some type of musician themselves.

There's alot of people who are crazy about Ozzy, but yet still don't have a clue to who Randy Rhoads is.

Randy was with Ozzy such a short time, alot of people just think of Zakk Wylde or Jake E Lee or Tony Iommi when they think of Ozzy.

Also Marshall only made like 100 or 150 of those Marshall 1959RR stacks, and they didn't make more, perhaps that's because they don't feel like they could easily sell more than the 150 or so they made and sold?

I think it's safe to say that Eddie Van Halen is sort of a household name, whereas Randy Rhoads isn't.

Same thing can be said for Steve Vai, most only people that know him are other musicians and guitar nuts like myself.

It just seems like outside of the boards, and excluding musicians, there's not alot of people that know of or are really into Randy Rhoads.

At least Steve Vai is still alive and is still touring and being promoted etc., so of course he has a advantage over Randy in popularity, but even then Steve Vai is till just for a relatively small niche market of fellow guitarists mostly.

It just makes me wonder how big Randy Rhoads really truly is in fame & popularity right now.

I don't even know how one would really go about measuring this. But I am curious. It wouldn't make any difference to me if I was the only person in the world left that liked Randy Rhoads, so I don't mean this thread to offend anyone, it's just a matter of curiosity.

Makes me wonder if maybe that's why they are packaging the Blizzard Pro shot concert WITH the documentary? Because then they can use Ozzy and the pro shot blizzard to reach a huger audience by saying yeah buy this OZZY OSBOURNE blizzard show, and oh yeah there's a documentary with it about his guitarist Randy Rhoads.

I mean believe it or not, just because someones your idol or hero and you think they are the most awesome thing, dosen't mean that the rest of the world even knows them.

I mean even the March 19th memorials, I've seen the clips on youtube, and i wouldn't describe them as HUGE gatherings of fans.

It's just like when I was in Austin, TX, you know they have a statue of Stevie Ray Vaughan there, he grew up there when he moved there from Dallas. Well I went to this restaurant just a few blocks from his statue, they had his pictures on the wall, and I asked some of the waitresses what they thought of Stevie Ray Vaughan, and they were completely clueless as to who he was, yet they had his pictures on thier walls of the restaurant and his statue was only a block away. And that wasn't the only time I quizzed people there, there were othrs there too who were just as clueless.

And then you've got your casual fans, who I don't even consider fans. Like yeah they hear crazy train when it comes on the radio, and they like it, but that's about as far as it goes. You know people that may know a little, but are passive, and really only listen to it when it happens to come on the radio.

I expect lots & lots of people will buy the pro shot blizzard footage just because it's Ozzy Osbourne.

But the documentary, I'm wondering how many people will really, truly buy it.

I think there's more people that are aware of who Stevie Ray Vaughan is than there is Randy Rhoads, and that isn't saying a whole lot for SRV either, but I'm just making the point.

I mean I know a guy that wrote a good book on SRV, and I was even in the book myself with some lyrics of a song I wrote, and as good as the book is and as popular as SRV is, the books only sold about 3,000 copies in 3 years time.

I also highly, highly, highly doubt this documentary is going to make it to the big screen theaters in most major cities. I mean this isn't some sort of Woodstock.

I'm not trying to be negative or rain on anyones parade, just trying to be realistic and see things realistically. Again I mean no offense in this thread, cause I know some people can get kinda sensitive and take it the wrong way when you discuss Randy Rhoads popularity otr lack thereof.

It makes me wonder, how man copies of the documentary does Dakota pictures really expect to sell? What's the minium they have to sell for them to consider this a success?

I know we can only speculate, but I find it interesting.
qwaszxv

Re: How many real fans do you think Randy Rhoads really has?

Post by qwaszxv »

Well, when I regained my interest for Randy late 2007, I was suprised that there still was so much activity about Randy, with the forums and all, and now the Documentary on the way and all the buzz about that..

I honestly think and hope that the Documentary will open many peoples eyes for Randy, and I do believe Randy´s personality, how he was as a person and all that was happening in his short life will make it interesting for people in general, not just his music....
Randy´s life is like a perfect movie, but with a sad ending, perhaps the documentary will lead to just that...
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

hopefully it will spark a bigger interest somehow. it'd be awesome if randy could get his own guitar hero game dedicated to him.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

To be honest, I was saying this to Ian yesterday, but I am grateful for all there is of Randy, already! 2 decent studio albums and a live recording is fantastic!!

It has already left it's mark on me as a musician, and as a listener.

It is of course exciting, the idea of seeing new footage of Randy, but it will be playing the same songs I already love, so if there is nothing else, oh well life goes on :)
That kind of thing is a treat but not life or death for me. I wouldn't offer up members of family for it Romeo Rose! :)

I remember Peter saying he wanted the film not be a specific film about Randy the musician, ie for 'musos'; But then some many other things have been said and changed so is that still the case?? who knows...

Someone on the film forum asked about the legendary 'chip pan,' and were there going to be sections in the film about it. Peter replied, quite directly, that the film wasn't going to be made for those kind of fans, but to more of a general audience.

I took that to mean he was trying to aim his documentary at people that may have not heard of Randy, so to us fans, there will be a lot of stuff that isn't of interest, but to someone new to it, it will be fascinating.

So the positive of the documentary is a lot of ordinary people, when/if it goes to TV will be introduced to RR.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I think that the real hard core fans are in the hundreds with a few thousand that admire him. I think the film could make his reputation glow for a while but it will fade again, I think within a few months or years.
I myself have organized something to preserve his memory but though this sounds harsh I hope he is forgotten soon. I think he will be re-discovered and coveted as a composer of music and not a short lived rock star; this can only be achieved decades perhaps a century or more hence. I said before as soon as Randy Rhoads is forgotten and Randal William Rhoads is found his legacy will be a waste.
This ‘them and us’ thing that is promoted by some is a diversion, a way to fool the foolish into falling for ‘divide and rule’, or is a mask for somebody’s failings.
Nobody really cares about it and nobody truly involved on the forums thinks it’s anything other than a joke. The only people who believe it or pray on it are those with something to hide, Some who feel that our site can be damaged by adopting an approach that displays tribal mentality, then we have the easily fooled and or feebly minded who will blindly follow without weighing up things for themselves.
I however feel that most people neither sit on the fence or lower their own standards and don't participate in the politics, as an admin I have to steer this place along with my fellow admin and mods on a tortuous path somewhere between all the factions.
This latest outpouring of emotions is less about Romeo' and more about seeing and understanding why Kelly Garni has become weary of events that he knows have been manipulated, thus causing unfair damage to individuals and the sites, AND those closest to Randal.

Again, enjoy and support the film and the footage but don't be fooled or suckered into the threats. They are only thinly veiling somebody else’s politics. The film will come out it always was the threats several weeks ago following our premiering the trailer were groundless. It has been stated that the trailer had nothing that would halt its production. The threats were issued after it was viewed and the director already knew it contained nothing damaging to production, it was all in his statement.

Stop worrying.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

This is what i believe about the # of fans or popularity, when randy was alive the only people here who knew who he was were the dedicated guitarists(at my music school where i took lessons) and the teenage girls who thought he was cute/hot a babe wahtever you call it. when I was listening to Ozzy everyone else was listening to duran Duran,human league,flock of seagulls or def leppard. Hard core "Headbangers" had Judas Priest,Iron maiden whitesnake and some ozzy.Out of that who 30 years later would even remember who he was ,truthfully the guitar player in Ozzys back up band. When ozzy came here with Joe Holmes the place was packed12000+ I was the only one who seemed to care that the back up band was none of the classic members.........as long as it was ozzy up there and played Crazy train..happy crowd!
As for comparisons with randy and steve Vai heres a story :
1986-david lee roth plays here in Jan.-freezind cold outside.Band members Greg bissonette,Billy Sheehan and STEVE VAI.I was a huge VAI fan and he was getting a ton of press for filling EVH shoes.After the show i go to the hotel they are staying in waiting to meet the band. there is a group of @20 people with me Limo pulls up and out come 2 hot chicks almost naked and DLR comes out full hollywood act and then the rest of the band without Steve. 2 min. later a black van pulls up couple guys jump out and then a guy with a guitar case then a tall skinny guy in a long coat jumps out and i walk up to him and say Steve? he answered yes,I drooled and babbled something he said lets go inside too cold,we talked for @5 mins and he said i was the first person to know who he was on theentire tour and talk to him about him not david lee roth or eddie van halen. I must have impressed him with my knowledge of his work with Alcatrazz flexable and zappa,or drooled on his shoes.
so back to randy- with all the press vai was getting and the DLR -VH -hagar drama and still few knew about Vai how popular could RR be with no prior "known" work behind him in the shadow of a big star like OZZY very few people cared who was playing guitar,the diary tour went on and speak of the devil with no original members and Ozzy just got HUGE.I thought about how similar the circumstances were with Vai and Randy backing a solo artist. I have remained a hardcore fan since 1980 8) and as for the amp popularity I preordered one as soon a sNamm announced it as with 1 other local fan,the dealer managed to get 2 more and they have been sitting on the floor for over a year :?:
Another thing I will point out there is a photo of the diary tour shot from behind RR and Ozzy while randy is playing his les paul(was in one of the tab books opening pages possibly tribute) you can see the crowds faces and NOBODY in front of RR is even looking at him alleyes on OZZY.It didn't help that most of the metal kids thought he looked like a girl/gay. and my last point to reflect on the day listen to the death announce ment tapes posted on youtube when they talk to jet records about who will replace randy on the tour the answer was "someone professional who is between tours,we don't want to have to break in another kid " Nice touch hey :cry:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Romeo, I've been saying this for years. There is not a huge fan base. The RR 'community' is, as you mentioned probably only a couple hundred people outside of Japan. He was an obscure guitarist in a relatively unknown band at the time of his death. His body of work is tiny and his following is at cult level.

The documentary Petey is making will be seen by a few people who don't already know much about Randy, but not many. Barring someone like Oprah seeing the film and raving about it on her show, it won't ever make it into the mainstream.

In addition to Randy's obscurity, there hasn't been much of anything released about him over the years geared towards anyone but guitarists. MTV never did much discussion of him. No Biography channel show. Only 1 minute clips in shows about Quiet Riot or Ozzy. Randy Rhoads is a footnote in rock and roll history. Sad but true.

Romeo, you seem to know quite a bit more than I do about this documentary, so I'll pose this question to you. Back when Peter first mentioned his intention to make this film, he said he'd like to do the doc to drum up interest in making a feature film about Randy. Do you think (know?) if this is still a plan?

When La Bamba was released, it was a smash hit, regardless of the fact that the general public was unaware of who Ritchie Valens was. A well-done dramatic film about Randy the person could put him in the limelight, finally. However, it'd also lead to cheap copies of his guitars being produced. Cheap little action figures and lots of knock off stuff. Such is the commercial world when popularity strikes.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Well said, Paul. I find it unfortunate that the film seems to be catering to an audience that wouldn't care about Randy. Why not have a section in there about the chip pan? 99% of the people who will see this film will wanna know about it. The mainstream audience will not care about Randy's girlfriends or his favorite sushi place (nor will some hardcore fans, perhaps!) They will want to know why they should care about someone like Randy. It is wonderful that Randy was so loved by everyone that knew him...but so are a lot of people that have passed on. What sets Randy apart from others is that he was in fact a spectacular musician and it's too bad that the documentary, it seems, will not really get into that.

Bottom line...why should the film cater to the 1% of the audience? The mainstream?

Anyway, that was a massive tangent! My apologies...

I think that Randy probably has a few thousand fans. Just cause they don't register on a messageboard doesn't mean they are not fans. I'm a huge fan of Iommi and Zakk Wylde and Skynyrd, but I'm not on any of their message boards. I just have their posters on my wall and their CDs stacked on my desk. No, I don't obsess over them and wonder about every little minute detail of their lives, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan.
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

To Matt:

I agree with what you are saying about the stuff about being happy with some of the RR stuff we have, my favorite things are the After Hours footage & the Tribute CD so far.

I remember Peter saying that too about the chip pan. At least he did photograph the chip pan and all the effects and everything as I wa told by the film crew. And it may possibly be shown in a bonus disc or in the coffee table book. I'm most curious about the chip pan because I'd like to have a replica built. I'm also curious as to what year his wah pedal was.

I just think sometimes of other documentaries or movies, like the VH1 movies Hendrix, or the one made about Def Leppard, both of those pretty much dropped off into obscurity.

I think that most likely the most exposure this film will see is if like them it gets picked up by MTV or VH1, but I am hoping for the best.

The thing about Randy is he makes me feel like all things are possible with music and he inspires me to always keep learning the instrument and never give up.

--------------------

To Jay:

I think you have a good point about it being so long ago, when alot of people weren't even into that heavy music in the first place and most of the ones who were were cluless about the guitarist in Ozzys band, they just wanted to hear Crazy Train, see him bite the head off something, and get drunk and high and party. It's easy to lose sight of that.

Wow that's a crazy story about Vai, haha, but believable when you think about it. Even now a days I think he only appeals to a small niche, I think that's why the do the G3 tours with Eric Jonson, Satriani & Vai & Malmsteen, so they'll draw a bigger crowd than they would if they were solo. I imagine if Randy were here he'd be a part of that G3 lineup at some point.

Wow I had never heard that news report before, that's insightful to know the way some just shrugged him off so easily.

Maybe it's the economy with the amps, I don't know, I am suprised. I will eventually get one, I could have had one by now but I've been getting other Randy stuff first, I can't afford to just get everything all at once, haha. But it makes me wonder how the 1959RR has done in comparison to the EVH 5150 iii's in terms of sales? I've always thought the main difference between Randys amps & EVH amps are probably the Altecs, the cleaner sound. I know the clips I heard of the 5150 iii on youtube sounded really good to me. I know Kevin Kyle on youtube has gotten some good tones from his 5150 combo. If there wasn't such a thing as a 1959RR, I guess to me it seems the next best thing would be one of the 5150's, so maybe some Randy fans were also EVH fans and didn't buy the 1959RR cause they bought the 5150iii, just speculation of course.

-----------------------------------------

To Paul,

I wish I would have asked him if there were any plans for a dramatic movie when I had the chance!

That is true about La Bamba, I always loved that movie and don't think I knew who he was till I saw that, same thing with the buddy holly story movie. And I think The Doors was very successful too.

I remember when this whole documentray started and I remember at first I misunderstood it to be a dramatic film about Randy, and then when I found out it was just interviews I was a little disappointed. I mean I seen interviews in the Japan documentary, I read the book Off The Rails, I read the other book the polka dot one called A Life, I think, I've read every post in both of these groups, alot of important people have already answered so many questions in these groups. I would be just as happy if this documentary were a book instead with text transcripts of the interviews. Which is another reason it makes me mad that Peter is taking so long, it's just interviews, if it's going to take 5 years to get this out in video form, than I'd much rather he just used the print medium instead and had it out in 6 months or so. But I hope there is a dramatic movie made about him at some point.

-------------------------------------------

To NicDots:

I'm the same way when it comes to other musicians, I love Zakk Wylde too, I love Guns N Roses, The Black Crowes, Poison, etc. But I don't join any groups about them either, or buy magazines just cause they are in them or put their poster on my wall or obsess over their equipment.

For some reason I may have peaks and valleys of the level of intensity & interest I have in Randy, but I always keep going back to Randy. There was a couple years where I pretty much only listened to Stevie Ray Vaughan all the time every day for a couple years. Then there was a time where I didn't listen to SRV at all for a couple other years, instead I listened to all the other Blues Greats. During those times I hardly listened to rock/metal. I used to listen to lots of metal bands, lots of the time, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Exodus, etc. I mean I used to be a complete metalhead 24/7.

But now most of the music I write is Blues, and Randy Rhoads is about the only metal I listen to anymore. I'm probably more into Randy now more than ever before. But I think it's a healthy obsession because it's motivating & inspiring me to become a better muscian in every way. Sometimes I hit a wall musically & I get discouraged, but something about Rndy always gives me that push forward I need.

To me one of the things that seperates Randy from most other guitarists, is he was so original, and so dedicated to his instrument & continuing to learn it, he was truly a musicians musician.

But yeah I realize you don't have to register here to be a fan, but I was just using the numbers here to try to gauge his fanbase online & offline, and I think you guys all seem to be pretty much in agreement that it's really kinda small when you look at the big picture.

Sometimes fame is funny though, I mean I love GNR & I love Slash, he's one of my favorites, but I don't understand how he has managed to become so famous? I mean it seems like he's EVERYWHERE! haha, on a&e shows about pinball machines, on E about snakes. On VW commercials, in movies & tv shows, I mean the guy is just all over the place, I would have never thought back in the 80's GNR would get that mainstream. I mean good for him, I love Slash & GNR, but it'd be kool if Randy could get a little of that too. But I realize Randy has been dead 30 years and Slash hasn't, so it's all a matter of perspective.
For Sale, cream w gold hardware 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar just like Randy Rhoads with case $1,800 obo. 1976 MXR Dist+ $150 70's MXR Stereo Chorus $150 call me if interested Romeo Rose 304-633-6734
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

romeorose wrote::

it's motivating & inspiring me to become a better muscian in every way. Sometimes I hit a wall musically & I get discouraged, but something about Randy always gives me that push forward I need.
... he was so original, and so dedicated to his instrument & continuing to learn it, he was truly a musicians musician.
Romeo,
I completely relate to that. I don't own Jackson Rhoads guitars or own any RR gear for that matter, the music I write and play is quite different to Randy, yet something about his passion for self improvement, his discipline as a musician, and his original thought that makes me want to get better... He makes me want to reach into myself and be the best I can be!
His playing still astounds me.

Godbless you RR, we all love youxxx

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

There are bound to be many fans, casual admirers and even some cultists out there. I dont think the diminitive size of the message board reflects the overal fanbase.

Having said that of my metal loving friends from 6th form i was the only true fan and only 3/4 people were even slightly interested in his music or appreciated it, and only because i kept talking about the marvel that is BOO :lol:

Out of 20-30 metallers thats not good. :?

When i first found .TK and UR i was a little bummed out by the membership, but looking back i see how lucky we are to have these sites and the great contribution of the memebrs VIP's and "noobs" alike.

I think that most fans may be older and not be on the internet. I know a radio producer in his 40s who is into randy and despite not being a big fan would probably watch the documentary.

But what makes a fan? When i look at some people's avid interest on this board it makes me think im not much of a fan, but he's still my no.1 guitarist and his story still captivates me to this day.

Silence is golden :idea:

Rob
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Romeo,
You got me thinking about this one....if you ponder how many fans there are that don't post at either site, (unless they're posting incognito), I went back through my magazines from '82 on. Circus, Creem, Hit Parader and the big three guitar mags from then.
There are quotes from so many....people like Gary Moore, Angus Young, Vinnie Vincent....these are people that will see the film if/when it goes to theaters, and they will more than likely own the dvd.
Why? Because they were musicians. They were also Randy's peers and colleagues, so to speak. Some knew him well...other, not so much, but I'd be willing to bet they would very much want to see a film about a friend they knew, or a fellow rival from the strip.
Look at someone like Joe Don Rooney, I know nothing of Rascal Flatts, but his comments bowled me over. It shows Randy is respected by many genres, not just hard rock/metal.
Just recently, I read a piece on Frank Hannon from Tesla on Paul & Ed's Facebook page where I discovered he considered Randy an inspiration.
So if you go back and look through all of the history on this gifted musician who continues to inspire, you may find there's a lot of people who are waiting for this film.
Lastly, it's been my understanding that Eddie Trunk is aware of the doc, and may have spoken about it on his radio show...if that were ever to become a topic on "That Metal Show", that could draw lot's more attention...in fact, TMS should do some kind of segment just on Randy.
If you asked the crowd in any of those shows if they wanted a special on Randy Rhoads, what do you suppose their response would be?
Exactly! :D
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

I wonder if Eddie Van Halen will watch the documentary when it comes out
For Sale, cream w gold hardware 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar just like Randy Rhoads with case $1,800 obo. 1976 MXR Dist+ $150 70's MXR Stereo Chorus $150 call me if interested Romeo Rose 304-633-6734
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Not looking for any trouble with this reply, but I believe he will. Why?
Randy was his nemesis, an adversary, the competition. Each were doing things the other wasn't with the guitar. Exploring ideas and possibilities.
In my own theory, Eddie lost his drive when Randy was lost. There was no one there forcing him to push back and do better. I don't believe there was any honest hatred toward eachother there. More a rivalry thing.
I am sure it may have hit home for Ed somehow, as this is a fellow axe-slinger that he knew, who had also acheived success and made it out of LA.
I'd like to think there's a part of Ed that was sad when he learned of Randy's passing.
His audio comments from back then are nothing more than bravado and beer perhaps serving as a front for something deeper.

T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

yeah i agree with that. i liked eddie van halen when he was with david lee roth. it's like muddy waters & howlin wolf, they were never enemies, they were friends that were very very competitive with each other.