How many real fans do you think Randy Rhoads really has?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Exactly! I do very much enjoy what Ed did on the original six for sure, but, I am biased, as I truly believe in my heart of hearts, that Randy would have gone further musically than Ed.
In losing Randy, the scene he had a hand in creating had stagnated, and became a parody of itself.
Perhaps what he still had yet to offer could have somehow expanded upon the genre and changed it so history wouldn't look upon it as a fad.
Sorry I hi-jacked your thread , man! :)

T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The question is, how much farther would Ed have gone if Randy were still there pushing him?

I was thinking about all these people who talk about how huge an impact Randy had and why he isn't more well known and why he doesn't have his own wing at the R'n'R Hall of Fame... It made me think about Bo Jackson. Remember him?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The question is, how much farther would Ed have gone if Randy were still there pushing him?
I think Ed would do his own thing anyways.
And Randy would still be still accused from copying Ed unless he would change his whole guitarstyle......(maybe unfair but it would be very hard for him to get rid of that completely) I don't think Ed saw Randy as a threat. Even when guys like Malmsteen arrived it didn't do much to Ed either. He always kept doing his own thing. Ed created the biggest earthshake in hardrock guitarplaying and probably nobody will ever take that away from him. Maybe that made him 'lazy'. Because Ed is Ed! :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

But Yngwie was never compared to Ed.

In the early 80's Ed and Randy were always mentioned in the same breath. Look at Ed's comments about Randy in that phone interview. He says how good the guy was, then goes off on how he was an imitation. Ed knew Randy was his main competition. He was very innovative until Diver Down which came out the year Randy died. Ed was an Ozzy fan. Ed wanted to name Van Halen 'Rat Salad' because he loved Sabbath. He knew what Randy was doing, even if he won't admit it.

Even if it was subconsciously, Ed was pushed by Randy, in my opinion. Once Randy was gone, Ed stopped being so innovative and started coasting.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Randy Rhoads never had the chance to peak as a musician/guitarist and that makes comparing any "what if's" meaningless. Randy and Eddie come from two completely different ways of looking at the instrument. Randy was much more structured in his writing. Ed is a feel player more than he is a learned player. Both technically marvelous. I think Randy would have gone quite a bit farther into the music side of his playing, in with guys like Satch and DiMeola. I feel Eddie has always been Eddie from day one and hasn't expanded his playing very much at all. I agree with Dutchman, Eddie was comfortable enough in his own shoes that he wasn't going to be threatened by any of his peers. IMO, Eddie's tone has always been KING, hands down.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Mike,

Eddie's rhythm guitar skills are always over looked in my opinion. He has a groove and swing in his playing much like a jazz performer. That part of Eddie left quite an imprint on me.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So anyway, back to my Bo Jackson reference.

Between about 1987 and 1990 Bo Jackson was everywhere in the American media. Bo played American football for the Los Angeles Raiders and pro baseball for the Kansas City Royals. He excelled at both. NIKE created an ad campaign called: Bo Knows, which couldn't be escaped. It showed Bo excelling in everything from sports to guitar playing.

In 1991 he injured his hip in a football game. People gave up on him. He was traded from the Kansas City Royals to the Chicago White Sox for one dollar. His football career ended and his baseball career would only last until 1994.

What's my point? Bo Jackson was one of the most phenomenal athletes of the last 25 years, but he faded away after his injury. He was no longer in the spotlight and the general public lost interest. Randy Rhoads died in 1982 and hadn't even made it to the bright glare of the spotlight yet. We remember him and his accomplishments, but the general public never knew him or has simply forgotten.

This film might introduce people to him, but a dramatic film could give him the spotlight he deserved.

So, as Romeo originally asked, how many fans does Randy really have? Not as many as he deserves.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Brilliant, Paul!
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I agree with that Paul, definitely.

Matt, Yes Ed has a very unorthadox approach to his rythym structure. Being so into metal as an early player (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax etc.) I was blown away when I delved into Eddie's songwriting too! It really should be part of any guitar player's study, IMO.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
-blizzard80-

Post by -blizzard80- »

Good ole randy has alot more fans than one might think, ive mentioned his name to many folks over 40 that ive worked with and people still remember him as a shining guitarist. And these people arent even metalheads. I heard a great story from a fella that seen him in 81 and he told me he will never forget randys playing. But what im saying is theres alot of fans that dont use the internet....
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

-blizzard80- wrote:Good ole randy has alot more fans than one might think, ive mentioned his name to many folks over 40 that ive worked with and people still remember him as a shining guitarist. And these people arent even metalheads. I heard a great story from a fella that seen him in 81 and he told me he will never forget randys playing. But what im saying is theres alot of fans that dont use the internet....
Well Said I totaly agree. I know tons of people who dont play guitar that are Randy fans. Just not Obsesed Like I am.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

-blizzard80- wrote:Good ole randy has alot more fans than one might think, ive mentioned his name to many folks over 40 that ive worked with and people still remember him as a shining guitarist. And these people arent even metalheads. I heard a great story from a fella that seen him in 81 and he told me he will never forget randys playing. But what im saying is theres alot of fans that dont use the internet....
Great point :)
Also there are a lot of fans who he has affected musically, that are just not into collecting all the albums.cd, let alone all the paraphernalia!

I have met quite a few Guitarists who cite him as an influence, but just don't know all the geeky stuff us lunatics know on the RR Boards LOL, they may just have a copy of the Tribute

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
krandall

Post by krandall »

I remember Peter saying that too about the chip pan. At least he did photograph the chip pan and all the effects and everything as I wa told by the film crew. And it may possibly be shown in a bonus disc or in the coffee table book. I'm most curious about the chip pan because I'd like to have a replica built. I'm also curious as to what year his wah pedal was.

** i would love to see the chip pan,chances are that Randy's wah most likely was a standard 70's crybaby with the red square TDK 5103 inductor in it but then it could have been modified.

I just think sometimes of other documentaries or movies, like the VH1 movies Hendrix, or the one made about Def Leppard, both of those pretty much dropped off into obscurity.

**yeah they were like b-rated movies like the movie of the week kinda deal, not very good like generic.

The thing about Randy is he makes me feel like all things are possible with music and he inspires me to always keep learning the instrument and never give up.

** this is what makes Randy's legacy last besides the music.

That is true about La Bamba, I always loved that movie and don't think I knew who he was till I saw that, same thing with the buddy holly story movie. And I think The Doors was very successful too.

**yes a dramatic movie about Randy would really put him in the limelight,the only fear i have about that though is that it'd probably be too sensationalized and make Randy out like he had a halo on his head like some have tried to make jimi out to be like. but i believe they were really just odinary down to earth individuals who lived what they did and were extrodinary in what they did.

To me one of the things that seperates Randy from most other guitarists, is he was so original, and so dedicated to his instrument & continuing to learn it, he was truly a musicians musician.
**I agree ,like jimi before him Randy was an original.

As far as how many fans Randy has or how popular he is,how does one really know,i mean if he was fllm star like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe then more would know about him,but I believe ,thanks to the internet and you tubejust think of how many out there who have discovered Randy in the past 15 years,sure maybe the genernal public doesn't know who he is but you can bet there's maybe thousands out there who are guitar players or fans who do not know about randy fans site and websites out there, since he is passed on the average person out there or even many fans may just assume that there isn't any websites out ther because he is passed on,it's like i have this friend who is a big Brian Jones fans,she was blown away to find out there were a few Brian website out there because she just assumed that ther would not be any since it's been 40 years since Brian died. so what i'm thinking that there could be many more fans out ther who don't know about any Randy websites and i have met a few Randy fans who were blown away I told them about how a film was being made about Randy,I think that there could be lots of Randy fans out there who don't even think that there's afew websites like this one dedicated to him but i do believe that because of why randy is remembered and that is because of his playing and his inspiration to believe in yourself that you can do anything,that this will ensure Randy's legacy for many generations to come, and with the web and you tube-heck look at just how moved young people are about him-it's amazing and how many say how he was one of the best if not the best and weren't even born when Randy was alive !
www.krmusicalproducts.com
moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

I really liked this thread and it asked an important question. In fact I liked it so much I created an account just so I could reply. I am a recently new fan of Randy, as I knew who he was befrore, but had not listened to him in detail. A guitar playing friend of mine reccomended the Tribute album and I purchased and listened to it and listened to it, and am still continuing to listen to it two months later! I just love how dynmaic his playing is and how I keep finding new things in the music. The first solo in Mr. Crowley is just beautiful. It will bring tears to your eyes lol.

As for the size of the fan base as related to the membership of forums? I personally love forums, but the problem is I'm in four now (counting this one) and that's a lot of material to keep up with lol. Not to mention a lot of fans may not even have internet access. I think the fan base of guitar players for Randy Rhoads is pretty sizeable, in fact I've never met a guitarist who wasn't a fan.

However, the one thing I'm glad about is most of the Randy fans are genuine fans, not posers that things such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band have created. I'm not saying that everybody who plays the games is a poser, but I hope you get my meaning. Sorry for rambling lol.
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I think Randy has tons of fans. Any serious guitar player is well aware of who and what Randy was. No, he doesn't have the name "Eddie Van Halen" or "Kirk Hammet"(poor comparison but fitting) or "Steve Vai" because he wasn'taround long enough.

To this day kids are still learning his licks though. My buddy teaches guitar and teaches a few randy licks a week and has been for many years. Somone mentioned something about a Guitar Hero for Randy, that would be awesome...