The Latest on Randy's Zeus Pedal Board?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cyranobob

The Latest on Randy's Zeus Pedal Board?

Post by Cyranobob »

Not being one to let sleeping dogs....sleep, I wanted to update you all on what I currently know regarding the Great Zeus Pedal Board story. I have spoken to a fellow who apparently purchased it, the details of which I know nothing. However, I have verified via a YouTube video that it is the real thing and it sounds' f'in great - even though I myself have not seen it for roughly 28 years. As some have wanted to know the veracity of my connection with Zeus and the Pedal Board itself, I will post some scans of items recently retrieved from stacks of stuff down in my studio. Will post more later but enjoy these for now. Any questions?
Attachments
ZeusCatalog.jpg
ZeusCatalogPg1.jpg
ZeusPoster.jpg
Sometimes I'm glad just to be standing here.
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

Thanks for posting that advert, that's cool. I have the Zeus 8401 like Randys, it sounds pretty good for a little practice amp that is portable and runs on batteries. It can't really compare to a real amp or a Marshall, but yet I can hear what people mean though when others say it has that Marshall flavor to it. It's certainly not bad for a 2 inch speaker. It's kinda like a PigNose, but tone for Metal instead of Blues, haha. It's real cool to see that advertisement, it's a trip how this seemed to be a hot popular little thing back then, but now it's disappeared into extreme obscurity.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

romeorose wrote:Thanks for posting that advert, that's cool. I have the Zeus 8401 like Randys, it sounds pretty good for a little practice amp that is portable and runs on batteries. It can't really compare to a real amp or a Marshall, but yet I can hear what people mean though when others say it has that Marshall flavor to it. It's certainly not bad for a 2 inch speaker. It's kinda like a PigNose, but tone for Metal instead of Blues, haha. It's real cool to see that advertisement, it's a trip how this seemed to be a hot popular little thing back then, but now it's disappeared into extreme obscurity.
Dude we thought you were in jail!!! :lol:
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

haha, nope. :P

should be getting my new Jackal PDV though in the next week or two.

Romeo
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halorising

Post by halorising »

Hey Bob, Im back from Jersey and we can meet up. Do you still have my cell no.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

romeorose wrote:haha, nope. :P

should be getting my new Jackal PDV though in the next week or two.

Romeo
Are you sure about that?? I have been waiting for over 2 years for my order,i am in no rush at all but i am surprised yours will be done so soon 8)
Cyranobob

Post by Cyranobob »

halorising wrote:Hey Bob, Im back from Jersey and we can meet up. Do you still have my cell no.
Give me a call/email/rosetta stone transcription/whatever. have been thnking it might be cool to get the 'mini-amp' designer in on it. he now works for QBC. truth be told, RR did not have to be sold too much on the little practice amp. It was apparently just what he was looking for. And Ozzy did complain at one point about not getting sleep in hotels cause he could hear RR up all night practicing on that bleedin' thing. did you like the 'vintage' pix?
Attachments
ZeusCatalog_Back.jpg
Sometimes I'm glad just to be standing here.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

sorry for my ignorance, i get confused in my... er, young age :D

Is this about randys pdeal board he had set up for practice or his proper "chip pan"?

Rob
romeorose
Cool Member

Post by romeorose »

It's about his pedalboard he used for practice. the only thing really special in the pedal board is the zeus 8401, as that was the main thing used, the other pedals were just the first drum machine boss ever made a boss dr-55 and some other pedals like a mxr micro chorus and mxr 6 band eq. all that stuff can be easily found on ebay. i have one of the zeus 8401 amp pedals, it's ok for what it is. i wouldn't ever use it for anything other than practice though. but still sound isn't bad for a little ol 2 inch speaker. it's really just a casio keyboard case, and this semi-rare zeus 8401 mini practice amp and a few other pedals, nothing really special about the setup. besides the hitorical significance that randy used it. if you wanna build your own pedal board like this it's easy to find this stuff on ebay if you check for it every day.

the chip pan randy used live is what i'm most interested in, hope to see video of it all in the documentary, hope the footage they filmed of it dosen't end up on the cutting room floor.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

cheers for the confirmation Romeo defineatly a cool little set up.

Rob