Randy's White Concord Guitar

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

quadrastudios

Randy's White Concord Guitar

Post by quadrastudios »

Hello All.
I wanted to share a very personal experience I had having to do with Randy's white Jackson "The Concord". It was January 1982. I used to get my guitars worked on at a music store named Music Lab in Burnham Ill by Jim DeCola (Junior). (BTW Jim designs guitars for Peavey now). As I walked in to pick up my guitar from service, I stepped across a road case with the name Randy Rhoads stenciled on it. Jim told me not to step on it as it was, in fact Randy Rhoads' guitar. Randy was having tuning problems with the guitar and it was up to Jim to correct. Jim replaced the bridge with a replacement bridge (I believe it was a standard Strat style Charvel or Schaller bridge) and only put the two end screws back on so the bridge would pivot on two screws instead of six. After he replaced the bridge, he allowed me to play the guitar for about a half an hour in his repair shop area. In Pictures of the guitar, this is how I can tell if the picture was taken before or after I played it. The bridge will either have six screws or two. Jim also was Randy's tech that night for that show. I don't know where Randy's regular tech was unless Jim was there to assist. I asked Jim about Randy's gear and about Randy in general. He said Randy was one of the nicest people he had ever met. Gear wise was the standard reply Marshall Super Lead, MXR Distortion +, Roland Space Echo, MXR Chorus Etc... Anyways, I am very jealous of Jim because he has Randy's old bridge and Randy strings from the show. I never got to meet Randy or see him live but I can say he is a huge inspiration to me.
Much Respect.
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

That's an awesome story man I can only imagine. Interesting little tidbit about the bridge set up. +1
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Great story, thnx! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

very awsome story!
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

Really, which show was he the guitar tech for?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

cool story :)
quadrastudios

Re: Randy's White Concord Guitar

Post by quadrastudios »

quadrastudios wrote:Hello All.
I wanted to share a very personal experience I had having to do with Randy's white Jackson "The Concord". It was January 1982. I used to get my guitars worked on at a music store named Music Lab in Burnham Ill by Jim DeCola (Junior). (BTW Jim designs guitars for Peavey now). As I walked in to pick up my guitar from service, I stepped across a road case with the name Randy Rhoads stenciled on it. Jim told me not to step on it as it was, in fact Randy Rhoads' guitar. Randy was having tuning problems with the guitar and it was up to Jim to correct. Jim replaced the bridge with a replacement bridge (I believe it was a standard Strat style Charvel or Schaller bridge) and only put the two end screws back on so the bridge would pivot on two screws instead of six. After he replaced the bridge, he allowed me to play the guitar for about a half an hour in his repair shop area. In Pictures of the guitar, this is how I can tell if the picture was taken before or after I played it. The bridge will either have six screws or two. Jim also was Randy's tech that night for that show. I don't know where Randy's regular tech was unless Jim was there to assist. I asked Jim about Randy's gear and about Randy in general. He said Randy was one of the nicest people he had ever met. Gear wise was the standard reply Marshall Super Lead, MXR Distortion +, Roland Space Echo, MXR Chorus Etc... Anyways, I am very jealous of Jim because he has Randy's old bridge and Randy strings from the show. I never got to meet Randy or see him live but I can say he is a huge inspiration to me. This took place the night before the Rosemont Horizon Show on I believe January 24th 1982.
Much Respect.
quadrastudios

Post by quadrastudios »

This took place the day before the Rosemont Horizon Show in Chicago (Technically Rosemont, Ill) on I believe January 24th 1982.
quadrastudios

Post by quadrastudios »

Pt 2
The guitar itself felt like a Les Paul Custom Neck from the 70's. The guitar was very well balanced. Not top or bottom heavy. It was a heavy guitar, about a pound or so heavier than an old Les Paul. The RR plate that covered the truss rod adjustment was plastic and was cracked at the top screw, The back of the guitar was covered in black electrical tape to keep from damaging the paint with Randy's steel belts and/or chains. The top toggle was mounted with a piece of plastic that was just cut square. And also the bridge of a Strat style guitar. Unheard of for the time on a humbucker guitar. Well that's it. I will step off my soapbox now.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

quadrastudios wrote:Pt 2
And also the bridge of a Strat style guitar. Unheard of for the time on a humbucker guitar.
didn't EVH use a strat-trem on the Frankenstrat? the white black-striped edition ?
quadrastudios

Post by quadrastudios »

You are correct Stiltzkin. EVH did use a strat-trem on his earlier guitars. I guess I should have said almost unheard of at the time . LOL I stand corrected.
Nifareus

Post by Nifareus »

This story is great man, I would play any of Randy's guitars in a heartbeat.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Great Story

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

You know this is the great stuff that gets lossed in the sands of time. Someone needs to put all these tidbits together so that we have a detailed account about Randy's guitar experiences. Dude that is great stuff...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

Wow thats really cool,
I didnt know Jim was RR tech for the rosemont show. I go into that music lab all the time..
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

Great story! reminded me of a story my friend told me of when he was touring in the GUESS WHO back in 81'pulled into a diner/truckstop and another tourbus pulled beside them.....yep Blizzard of ozz! had coffee with them and BS'd about guitars with Randy who was a" nobody"