Dave Tangye Interview update 24 May 2009

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Dave Tangye Interview update 24 May 2009

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Many thanks to every one who posted questions up for this interview. I'd like to thank Dave on behalf of UR for finding the time to do this interview its well appreciated.
Dave has asked me to copyright all his replies to the questions. So if anyone would like to use the interview in parts or in full please abide to the copyright and ask for permission first. All rights are reserved no parts of this publication may be reproduced in any form. Without the prior permission of Dave Tangye SLACKHADDOCK@aol.com

Hi Dave i have a few questions for you.
Q. During your Blizzard period with Ozzy what was the feeling when you found out Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake had been fired from the band. Could you give me an insight of how the crew and other band members felt about this. I understand that you are still friends with Bob Daisley and keep in touch ?.

DAVE TANGYE:
I was really saddened at the time to find out that Bob Daisley & Lee Kerslake were deemed surplus to requirements, when the Blizzard hit the United States leg of that tour. My understanding and observation at that time was that the original line up, did not suit the youthful image the band management required to take out on the road for this, the most importent tour of Ozzy Osbournes whole career.
I am in touch with Bob Daisley on a regular basis, and we do exchange interesting emails. Bob is a fantastic musician, and a great songwriter. I really do like his work.

----------------------------------------------

Q.What was your first reaction when you heard Randy Rhoads playing Live for the first time. Who do you prefer listening to Tony Iommi or Randy ?

DAVE.
Randy Rhoads was a fantastic Guitarist in his own right, the very first time I heard him he was quite fledgling and maybe a bit nervous but nonetheless an amazing player. Early on that first UK tour, he didn't to me, have the power of his conviction when he played heavy cords, but Randy went from strength to strength, and Ozzy gave him great encouragement all the way.
Tony Iommi on the other hand could hold a power cord and sustain it for as long as he wished. Without being too technical as such, I would say that Randy and Tony were miles apart when it came to stage presence, but both quite brilliant players in their own right.

-------------------------------------------------

Q.I have noticed over the years Ozzy seems to be very forgetful when singing Live on stage. I know he now uses an autoque for his lyrics and timing etc. But has this ever been a problem for Ozzy with him having dyslexia. Was he very self critical of his voice, as a lot of his Live recordings have been polished up in the studio with the lyrics redone etc.

GUITARIDOL5682 Shaun

DAVE.
Ozzy sometimes struggled with the words in the songs, this goes back to his time with Black Sabbath.
I was his Autoque back in those days, I remember when Black Sabbath played Madison Square Garden for the first time on Ozzy's 27th birthday December 3rd 1975.
Ozzy forgot some of the words in the song 'Black Sabbath'; when he got to the line in the song, 'Oh no, please God help me' he added, 'Oh no, please God get that fucking chip pan on'
Yeah, he would often run to stage left and ask directions from me. His Dyslexic state was a problem for him in some ways I suppose, but it never held him back at all. As for the live overdubbing, I think most artists are prone to refinement.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave
My questions are,
Q. Ozzy was reported to be very lost and depressed, especially towards the end of Sabbath. Did he confide in you what it was about his new venture that seemed so different than before, i.e what was it that made the Blizzard line up feel special?
Q. It is well documented that Ozzy is prone to mood swings. Did you notice any creative patterns with Ozzy's highs and lows. Was Ozzy like many creative people who have bi-polar disorder that on a high become very productive and creative?
Matt.

DAVE.
Thank's for that Matt; I have read this thing many times about Ozzy being depressed and on a total downer following his demise from the Black Sabbath fold. It would be fair to say that he was not too happy during the later years with the band, but I think they the band,came to an impasse.
I think it would be fair to say that he did leave the band on Medical Grounds; He was fucking sick off it!!
The truth is that they had all been together for so long, and that they had lost their direction, and felt a need for change.
I think if you would like to discover more on Black Sabbath's ups and downs, if this does not sound too much like a plug, you would be advised to read our book 'How Black Was Our Sabbath; A view from the crew' there are a plethora of stories from this time in there.
http://www.blacksabbath.co.uk/buythebook.htm
Ozzy was very much prone to mood swings, WOBBLERS, as we knew them!! but never for long. He was then a very intense guy but also had a devilish sense of humour. He was never down for too long.
I never did notice any great creative patterns as such, that's probably because Ozzy was 24/7 music! although the pub came into it quite a bit!! 5.30pm opening time in those days, he would probably be down the pub, sink a few beers and the back home at 11.15 just in time for Panorama!!

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave, I have a few questions for you.
Q.When you see the modern day Ozzy Osbourne on the telly, star of reality TV, media favourite and popular celebrity, what are your thoughts on how he compares to the crazy rock n' roll Ozzy Osbourne of the late 70's early 80's.

Over the years working with Ozzy did you take any rare and previously unpublished photos of the Ozz, especially from the stage 'cos I remember seeing Blizzard of Ozz back in 1980 and vaguely remember seeing some burly bouncer type of guy on the stage but at the side, a great place to take photos, but I'm sure your job was mainly to make sure there wasn't an invasion of fans onto the stage I suppose.
I remember my mate getting onstage and a couple of bouncers, ( probably including you) chasing him around the stage as he tried hugging Ozzy and dodging around Bob Daisley and Randy Rhoads as he gave you the runaround before jumping back into the crowd, it was so funny, like something of a Carry On film.

Did you get to keep any of Ozzy's stage outfits from the 70's and early 80's, the tassled tops ones I mean, 'cos I think shortly after you stopped working for him he ditched that image.
Personally I thought he looked cool as fuck in those tassled tops, I wonder what happened to 'em all.
(Gaz Forrester) Fozzy41

DAVE.
Thanks for that Gaz; Ozzy was very much what you see, is what you get type of guy! No airs or graces and pretty much down to earth. There is a lot of this so called 'Show Business' Hype that goes with the image, if you take time out to watch the DVD Spinal Tap, I think you will get a much clearer picture of what life was like on the road back in the Seventies. After watching Ozzy on the TV, I am inclined to go along with Alice Coopers take on that reality bit. I expect it has swollen the coffers, but done little for his mystic 'Prince of Daftness' side.
I took quite a lot of photos during my time with Black Sabbath/ Ozzy, there are many in the book, and also in my own personal archive. Perhaps someday I will publish them.
I did look after Security, and more than likely ejected your mate from the stage (was he the one that cost me £3000 in a court case)??? Someone did once comment when he was leaving the stage rapidly, 'Are you Ozzy's Dad?? I wonder if it was him????
I didn't have any of his old stage clothes, I think they all went to Oxfam! There is probably a less fortunate in Bangladesh, wearing one of his Tassel Tops right now!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave,
Was this indeed the Blizzard of Ozz band when it first started, as in: four guys in a band, or was this really Ozzy Osbourne and the band ?
I realize of course Ozzy had fame and notoriety from his time in Sabbath, but it sounded as if they were the four musketeers up to the recording of Diary.
With the hiring of Sarzo and Aldridge and after the loss of Randy, this strictly became a hired gun for the Ozzy show kind of thing.
Thanks for your time...
Tom

DAVE.
Initially yes, everything was quite cordial. But as time progressed and a manager came to light, things took a turn as they do.
The rest is history, and Ozzy is the best man to answer all..

----------------------------------------------------
Dave.
Q.Thanks so much for taking time to share with us.
Someone is bound to ask this, so I'll wade in with the obvious.
As you may know, the holy grail for RR admirers is video/film footage.
Do you have any recollection of any filming/video (personal or professional) being done by band, friends, or crew during rehearsals, performances, or recording sessions?
Although I am aware of the bulky video equipment available at the time, handheld film cameras were quite common. To me, it seems a bit unrealistic that non was done even casually as Ozzy was well established and quite famous at the time of Blizzard and Diary.
Much appreciation for your reply.

Tim.

DAVE.
I don't believe there was much stuff recorded to film very early on, especially on the first UK Tour. I have a few photos from Ridge Farm during the recording of Dairy of a Milkman!!, oop's sorry, Diary of a Madman i meant...
Money was tight at this time, so the expense of filming would not come into the equation.
I know that there was a film recording on the first US Tour, New Jersey or ST Louis show, I am not sure.
Not even sure if it ever was released.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave ,
Q.You must of been very concerned about Ozzy's well being, with his excess for drug and drink binges. Did it ever worry you that Ozzy could become a victim of his own vices. We seen what happened to Bon Scott and John Bonham. Did you ever have to tell Ozzy to kick it into touch especially if it was a gig night or an occasion to keep sober. Or did you just go with the flow and get shit faced yourself ..
GUITARIDOL5682 Shaun

DAVE.
Not at all, Ozzy was never a big drinker, I know people who drank much much more than him, and still held a regular 9 to 5 job down. Ozzy would drink four or five pints down rapid, and have a kip.
Ozzy did not as a rule drink before a show, only one time I remember was in Liverpool when Black Sabbath played the Empire.
I carried a tray of Guinness across Lime Street Station to the gig, someone told us that a pub across the way sold the best pint of the black stuff in the UK.
Yeah, in the early days we all got into it... It was different in the early days! There were no women on the road then, to keep everyone in check??.

--------------------------------------------------------

hi dave
Q.you were so lucky to work with the ozzy osbourne band back at such a vital time in its creation but did you ever work for them after 1981 and if so was it different after randy died?
randys roadie

DAVE.
I departed company just before Randy died, so cannot really comment on this.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave,
Q.I assume you didn't have too much time with Ozzy in the studio as you worked with him on tour, but how did the new band (Tommy Rudy etc) gel? Better or worse than the original band (Bob and Lee etc)
Joe (Skezza)

DAVE.
I was actually present during both Blizzard of Ozz, and Diary of a Madman, recordings at Ridge Farm. The band lineup change only came when we arrived in the USA. Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy's original choice Drummer) and Rudy Sarzo (Randy's recommendation) joined the band only after a few musicians were auditioned for the gig. These auditions were conducted in Los Angeles, shortly after we arrived in America.
As for Bob & Lee and Tommy & Rudy, there was a big shift in stage presence and style later on as the production got bigger. But no real change in sound, they were after all top of the tree musicians in their own right!!

Hi Dave
Q.What was the most funniest moment you had during touring with Ozzy?

Simon.

DAVE.
Payday!!

--------------------------------------------------------

Q.Dave, to the best of your recollection, what tour bus models did Black Sabbath and Blizzard of Oz bands use the most? Did they ever use a Prevost tour bus? What was/is your favorite tour bus brand? Thanks.

Ray.

DAVE.
Black Sabbath did not uses tour buses in the early days, these luxury coaches did not appear until the late 1970's. The first one I saw was Frank Zappa's bus at a festival in Tampa Florida 1976. Even this was just a converted Greyhound Bus. The bus Ozzy used on the first ever tour was hired from Florida Coach, it was well kitted out and was coach painted with a western scene and had Bald Eagles painted all over. The crew had a similar bus. I have photos of these two buses. They were both Eagle U.S.A. manufactured coaches if that helps. They built the first ever buses we had on that first US tour. Check out the link Ray to the Eagle tour bus co. http://www.silvereaglebus.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------

Q.Dave,
I'm sure as a personal assistant that you have heard some interesting requests from Mr. Osbourne. What is the strangest or most unorthodox thing you can remember Ozzy asking for?
NoQuattro

DAVE.
None that spring to mind really, when you are living on the edge in a parallel universe, all things were very strange!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.Hey Dave,
First off, thanks for answering these questions...very cool indeed!
Everyone knows that Ozzy's done some crazy things in his life. Can you remember a story that perhaps shows maybe the more sensitive or reflective side to Ozzy?
Nicole.

DAVE.
Thanks for that Nicole, Ozzy is an old romantic at heart, he would think nothing of going down the boneyard, and getting a few flowers for his loved ones. No seriously, Oz does have a kind and gentle side to his nature though, he is a very caring man when it comes to his immediate family.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave,
Out of all the band members and crew from Black Sabbath and Blizzard of Ozz do you still keep in touch with any of them ?. When was the last time you spoke to Ozzy ?.
Shaun GUITARIDOL5682

DAVE.
I spoke to Ozzy last year when Baz Dunnery (Necromandus) died, he was a great friend to both of us, and a brilliant guitarist who shunned fortune and fame. I communicate with Bob Daisley quite a bit. I have tried to get in touch with Pete Merton's (Randy's Roadie) on several occasions to no avail ? Old Black Sabbath Crew members have had several great reunion bashes, Last time I met up with the band was at Milton Keynes Bowl when they headlined Ozzfest. 2001.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.Dave, considering that you knew Ozzy pretty well, I wonder how organised Ozzy was when they were forming the band? I´ve always been very curious to know about Ozzy, Bob & Randy situation, how were things before the actual band, looking from the rears, so to speak...
Mikel

DAVE.
I think Ozzy was clutching at straws for a while after his departure from Black Sabbath, It was not until he got signed up that he made any real sort of headway. There was a lot of fun during those grey days, everything was to play for. There was a constant stream of Musicians auditioning at Ozzy's farmhouse studio in Stafford. When Bob, Randy, Lee and Ozzy actually got it together, everyone knew that they had hit the right button. It was pure MAGIC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.Hi Dave ,I have a few questions for you.

Did you expect the Ozzy band to become as popular as it did in those early days? When you were with them back in 1980 Ozzy had been written off as a has been! did you expect his shows to become as amazing as they became?

Were you asked to work with Ozzy after 1981? and when was the last time you met/bumped/heard from him and chatted?

What is your lasting or strongest memory of Randy Rhoads? i.e when you hear his name what springs to mind ?.
Ian (Trigger)d keep in touch ?.

DAVE.

I think everyone had a strange feeling regarding the new Ozzy band, the music these guys made collectively was just amazing. No one knew at that time where it was all going, but everyone was exited at the prospects. I believe it was a rebirth for him, in so much as it changed his whole life around. Ozzy went for it body and soul, and let nothing whatsoever stand in his way. No one could ever have written Ozzy off, he is a one off guy, with a great presence.
I never looked back after my time with Ozzy and his solo career, I realised quite early on that it was not for me, I had too many great memories from Black Sabbath days.
You also have to remember that he was going through a very difficult time personally at home, and when you are working as a P.A. for someone, you are never out of the equation.
Randy Rhoads, I respected him totally as a fantastic musician. I watched him mature into his new world very fast, he was a great guitarist his demise for me was nothing less than tragic, RR R.I.P.

Thank's,
Dave Tangye.
www.blacksabbath.co.uk

Please find the time to check out the above link to Dave's web site. If you have not read the book. Do grab a copy it's a great look into the life and times of a Slack Haddock crew member, on and off the road. Some of Ozzy and Tony Iommi's practical jokes are funny as hell. OK Dave i'll have that £20 from you. A well rehearsed plug even if i say so myself HA!..