Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NoQuattro
Cool Member

There's some audio from Bernie's 4-5-82 show on Youtube

Post by NoQuattro »

...in this guy's page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmittyHeWasNumber1

I had never heard any stuff with Bernie in the bad, his take on some of the solos is pretty interesting. All things considered with what was going on at the time, he did a remarkable job.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

This is great! Thank you.

I admire Bernie's playing very much.

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ps
I Just e mailed Mr Torme to pass your link on. I know froma conversation at the guitar society he doesn't have any recordings of this.

When I asked if he wanted me to try and get hold of any hard copies of boots he said "I couldn't do that I don't think it would be fair (copyright wise) to Ozzy and Sharon, I don't know what they would feel about it"

I was quite taken aback. He is very loyal to people and keeps his word with things.

I know Shaun feels the same about Bernie in this respect. The guy is a true gent...and amazing player!!!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

We have full Bernie shows coming to UR.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Wow, Bernie did a pretty good job I think! The second Crowley solo was killer!
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:ps
I Just e mailed Mr Torme to pass your link on. I know froma conversation at the guitar society he doesn't have any recordings of this.
When I asked if he wanted me to try and get hold of any hard copies of boots he said "I couldn't do that I don't think it would be fair (copyright wise) to Ozzy and Sharon, I don't know what they would feel about it"
I was quite taken aback. He is very loyal to people and keeps his word with things.
I know Shaun feels the same about Bernie in this respect. The guy is a true gent...and amazing player!!!!
Matt
Matt i don't know what it is about the guy, i was never a big Gillan fan. The first time i seen him play Live was at the Reading Rock '82 Festival and i remember that performance like yesterday. I had it on tape for years, recorded from the Friday Rock show. But it's now lost in the cobwebs of time. I then went to see him Live with Torme in 1984? with Phil Lewis singing. Again i wasn't a fan i didn't have any of his albums apart from 'Turn Out the Lights'. Which isn't his greatest hour, i just stood in front of the guy and watch him ripp it up Fucking Amazing. I met him for the first time after that gig and i got a signature from him and a pick which i still have to this day (Gibson Heavy Bass pick) he still uses them today. Then it was a huge gap when i seen him at the Hard Rock Hell gig 2007 playing with GMT and i was very lucky to bump into him after the gig on two occasions. I had some photos with me which he signed. He's just so down to earth and just a very approachable & friendly guy. No ego bollocks just like talking to your mate down the pub. I asked him what his plans for the night where and he said he was going to see Saxon and Dee Snider and sink a few pints of the Irish black stuff. I think if you watch the Stratocaster Gypsy DVD his interview is very good and it covers his history and some of the answers he gives to the interviewer are very surprising. He just doesn't praise himself or his music and being humble is just an under estimate of the guy. If i thought one guy in the guitar world who is very underated and needed to be appreciated more it's Bernie.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Shaun

A few things you may find interesting. As a rock mad 12 year old me and a friend who wrote for the school newspaper interviewed Tommy Vance. He was actually like Bernie in his humble and down to earth attitude.

I am with you too about the Gillan era Bernie. I am not over keen on all the songs but the playing is so eccentric and also full of balls! It is the guitar that jumps out at you.

When I first heard GMT I wasn't sure what to expect. If I am honest I think maybe I thought it was going to be like a nostalgia record of older rock veterans. The music slapped me straight in the face. It sounded so fresh and raw and the guitar work was jaw dropping.

Of the albums I have with Bernie on I think this is the best one.

In the first Guitar society masterclass I was quite surprised that Bernie still knew the second Crowley solo. Before the class/performance we were talking Randy Rhoads and he had so much admiration for him. I asked what were his favourite songs to play and he said he thought Mr Crowley was just brilliant, and then played the arpeggios at the beginning of the second solo and went off for a while longer.

he said he hadn't played it since then, so his memory is very good indeed!

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah thats one of the amazing things with Bernie he is as raw as they come. What do i have to rehearse for ? he just gets up there and does it his way, improvise, hit a few bum notes so Fuck. I love that attitude with him and it comes across great live. One take..! Live, take it or leave it. I think he was some what surprised when he got the gig with Ozzy because of the style in which Randy plays. He'd never heard any of Ozzy's solo stuff and his first listen to the albums must of put him in the 'How The fuck am i going to pull this one off'. He had such a hard task to achieve and for him to do it his way. He mentioned how he had been told by $haron & Ozzy that it would have to be done by the book and basically what RR was playing you'd have to do the same. For any guitarist to be able to learn that set and play it the RR way. I think it would take some serious guitarist to be able to pull that one off. But improvised or not he managed to do it and i take my hat off to the guy.
Matt if you have not seen this DVD check it out. It's rough quality at times but its worth every penny for the interview alone.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bernie-Torme-Stra ... 0379532076
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I never rated bernie and always thought of him as weak! but when I saw those video's Matt made I was stunned I thought he was amazing 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: There's some audio from Bernie's 4-5-82 show on Youtube

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Could someone do me a huge favour.. I noticed when you click on the link this guys page has a cool early Ozzy Blizzard wallpaper background. I would like for that person to post the said item onto this forum for all of us to share and see. I've tried but the computer sezs No!!.. Thank You :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmittyHeWasNumber1
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

It's this picture, tiled several times.

"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NoQuattro wrote:It's this picture, tiled several times.

Cheers NoQuattro i've never seen this pic before. I've seen similar but its new to me.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

The picture is on the back of the 2002 remasters, but with Randy and Bob edited out. :lol: :roll:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote:The picture is on the back of the 2002 remasters, but with Randy and Bob edited out. :lol: :roll:
WHAT!! :shock:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

NicDots wrote:The picture is on the back of the 2002 remasters, but with Randy and Bob edited out. :lol: :roll:
Nic are you referring to the Blizzard 2002 remaster ? The pic is very much alike but it is different. This pic was taking with a fisheye lense and Bob and Randy are in different poses.