Blizzard Review from 1980

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Blizzard Review from 1980

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

With so much being said about the NEW revamped version of the Blizzard and Diary albums i think it would be interesting to see a review of the newer versions to see any comparison ..Why did they do such a thing ?
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

That's a review I hadn't seen before, and a good one at that. He even called Randy a maestro! Thanks for posting.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Never seen before too, nice review btw! :)
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Good to read that old revue again.
Shaun, was it from Sounds?
God knows why they did the new versions. I don't know anyone who has a good word to say about them. Sharon Osbourne has got a lot to answer for.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Fozzy41 wrote:Good to read that old revue again.
Shaun, was it from Sounds?
God knows why they did the new versions. I don't know anyone who has a good word to say about them. Sharon Osbourne has got a lot to answer for.
Yeah its a crime to do something like this, but Ozzy had as much to do with it as $haron. He allowed the original tracks to be removed and the new one's to go ahead. It must of been done in such a hurry that the mish mash bolloxed up version didn't matter as long as Bob & Lee had been removed from the albums. So all future royalties would not be going to either of them.
Gaz do you have any of the music mags from November 1980 ? Could you check to see if Ozzy played at the Canterbury Odeon 1st November a guy has informed me that this date did happen but i want to find some proof if it did!! Cheers
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Here is my list leading up to the end of 1980

October 1st - New Theatre, Oxford, England
October 2nd - Gaumont Hall, Southampton, England
October 3rd - Kings Hall, Stoke, England (Ticket obtained) (2ndTicket obtained(misprinted)) (3rd Ticket obtained)
+++October 5th – Assembly Rooms, Derby, England (Ticket obtained)(2nd Ticket obtained) - this date not listed on any gig lists on the net
October 6th - King George's Hall, Blackburn Lancashire, England
October 7th - City Hall, Sheffield, England Ticket obtained
###October 9th - Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, Wales (bootleg exists)
###October 10th - Taunton Odeon, Tauton, England (bootleg exists)
October 13th - Malvern Winter Gardens, Great Malvern, England (ticket viewed but not purchased)
###October 17th - Mayfair Theatre, Newcastle, England (bootleg exists)
October 18th - City Hall, Hull, England (Ticket obtained)
October 20th - Colston Hall, Bristol, England
October 21st - Odeon Theatre, Canterbury, England
###October 22nd - Chelmsford Odeon, Chelmsford, England (CDR bootleg ‘Chelmsford Complete Japanese Import’?) (12â€
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Perry those dates are listed here from 'the day the music died' site.The full list of dates has not been officially listed of the 1980 UK dates.They toured the country then decided to add more dates to the tour.They revisited towns like Newcastle & London, and added another 17 dates in total..I was talking to a guy and he said that he seen Ozzy on the 1st November at the Canterbury Odeon.They may have returned here through popular demand and no advertising was needed.So nothing was mentioned in the press and the only thing that could prove this is a ticket stub or something mentioned in the local paper at the time.I remember that the Newcastle 17th October gig was fly posted at the earlier Newcastle City Hall 17th September gig.This was mentioned in the music press briefly and this show sold out. So the Canterbury 1st November show may have happened. I don't know anything about that Nottingham gig 8th November. Like you said i don't think that they'd stop touring for a week then start again.So i'm thinking that show never happened.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Our problem is that street press magazines arent generally kept as momento's. They are read and discarded, and thats where additional dates would have been published (as well and handbills etc).

There is a possibility that magazines like SOUNDS in the UK have been converted to microfische film. Libraries should be keeping copies of everything printed, i know ours do. Street press might not fall under the catagory of 'printed works' though (maybe just 'real' newspapers and books only). Maybe someone who has some time and access to some larger UK libraries might want to do some detective work?
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

Sorry Shaun but I don't have any copies of Sounds from November 1980. Some old copies can be obtained though form a guy who runs a magazine back issues company, can't emember his name though, but if I can remember who it is I might give him a bell to see if he minds checking the gig listings from early Nov'80.
The November 1st date could have happened but its the first I've heard of it, also I've got my doubts about the 8th November date ever taking place also.
I've got a few press cuttings (Thanks to GI) regarding the tour and the extra added dates but theres nowt about either 1st or the 8th November. I wouldn't be suprised if the tour ended October 31st.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Perry those dates are listed here from 'the day the music died' site.The full list of dates has not been officially listed of the 1980 UK dates.They toured the country then decided to add more dates to the tour.They revisited towns like Newcastle & London, and added another 17 dates in total..I was talking to a guy and he said that he seen Ozzy on the 1st November at the Canterbury Odeon.They may have returned here through popular demand and no advertising was needed.So nothing was mentioned in the press and the only thing that could prove this is a ticket stub or something mentioned in the local paper at the time.I remember that the Newcastle 17th October gig was fly posted at the earlier Newcastle City Hall 17th September gig.This was mentioned in the music press briefly and this show sold out. So the Canterbury 1st November show may have happened. I don't know anything about that Nottingham gig 8th November. Like you said i don't think that they'd stop touring for a week then start again.So i'm thinking that show never happened.
I have just getting this ticket stub and i noticed that the date is wrote in pen under the original printed date. So this must of been rescheduled from the 21st October 1980 to the 1st November 1980.
Image[/
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: I have just getting this ticket stub and i noticed that the date is wrote in pen under the original printed date. So this must of been rescheduled from the 21st October 1980 to the 1st November 1980.
Image[/
Interesting.
Quite possibly, but I don't remember any dates from that UK Tour ever been cancelled or postponed. It would usually have got a mention in Sounds or the other weekly music press but I don't remeber nowt.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I had a customer a while ago who was at this show! but I am not in contact with him anymore. :cry:
He could have cleared this up :wink:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well the guy i got the ticket from cannot remember if the date was rescheduled. But why would the date be wrote underneath ?. Plus this isn't the first time this has come to light. So i would definately say that this date was changed. Even Tony Dennis Ozzy's P.A has said that this was the last date of the tour. " The next day we said that we were going to Canterbury for the last date of the tour,they offered us a lift."
I remember going to a Thin Lizzy concert and when i turned up they had signs up on the doors of the venue saying Tonights concert was cancelled all tickets are still valid with a rescheduled date. So i'm going with that one Canterbury Odeon 1st November 1980