Polka-Dot V Display

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Polka-Dot V Display

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was looking at the pic below and i thought that the Rock N Roll Hall of fame made a poor effort to display those items. Yeah you can only do so much but..The outfit looks like its been put on a coat hangar and just hung up.. They could of used a mannequin to put the waistcoat and trousers on. Then display a few pics of Randy wearing those clothes. It's such a small thing but how often are you going to see things belonging to RR in any museum. I know its the 2 things in the case thats what people need to see but IMHO they could of made them look alot better.
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah those are RR's genuine PDV and stage clothes. They are on loan from the Rhoads family and are on view at the R'n'R Hall of Fame. They've been there since January - February 2009 i think they are going to be on display until the next memorial March 2010.
Mr Charming

Post by Mr Charming »

Your right this display is a little lame but I guess they must have thought who the fuck is Randy Rhoads anyway????? if it was Hendrix they would have built a robot to move his strat around.
Gone but alway in my heart
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

I was there 4 days ago I wish they could have put up Randy Diary open vest with all the studs. I saw creases on the material of the lapel of the vest but it may have been stored like that. It was quite sureal to have my face not even 4 inches from it.. I am glad they just got it there again.

wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

Great Shot of the v and the vest. I hope I can make it there this year. Im only 4 hours away.. Dave
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hi Tom, I noticed your post over at TK i could imagine that it would be hard to walk away from the RR display. For the people who never got the chance to see Randy in concert. It is the nearest you'll ever get to seeing him. Without seeing him in the flesh if you understand what i'm getting at. Does the display have any literature on what the items are i.e RR Quiet Riot stage outfit etc.. I know you must of been in awe to be next to the PDV.Your very lucky that you have getting the chance to see 2 of his guitars. You did see his White Jackson ?.But i think they could of done a much better job with a few photos and a bit of history on those pieces of awesome Rock memorabilia. I read that Cliff Burton's Rickenbacker bass 4001 guitar is on display. Metallica have just been inducted to the R'nR Hall of Fame i heard about a film of the bands history being played etc.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532921
They should of done the same with Randy.But thanks for posting those pics up Tom i think it's the nearest i'll ever get to seeing any of RR guitars, in the future ? maybe ?..
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Yes, the display does look kind of tawdry. However, the PDV and stage outfit speak volumes.

If you travel to Cleveland to see it, make sure you go to The Cleveland Music Hall about 5 blocks away. South-west from the lake and The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The Cleveland Music Hall is where most the Tribute album was recorded in 1981.

I wonder if that exact PDV, in the display, was used in the Tribute concert?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

the PDV looks quite good there, i thought it got trashed in the sunlight sometime? have i missed something?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

skezza wrote:the PDV looks quite good there, i thought it got trashed in the sunlight sometime? have i missed something?
I had been wondering the same thing? has it been fixed OR is this a repro to keep the outfit looking fresh, that guitar looked really shabby the last time I saw it.
Great display though and thanks for sharing the info :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think a big fuss was made about the PDV the last time it was on display. Yeah i understand that the guitar should be looked after like a valued antique. But my point is how long would it take a vintage guitar the same age as the PDV. Put this into direct sunlight and how long would it take before the paint/laquer would start to ripple, discolour, peel, tarnish. I'm a painter and decorator and i'ved work with different paint for a long time from two pack epoxys, cellulose, to house hold emulsions and gloss etc. For anything to weather or fade or like the guitar, it needs to be exposed to more then just sunlight. You need the item to get wet i.e rain/flood before it completely drys out then it will have some kind of effect to the finish. Guitar shops use to hang guitars in the window for display. They'd be in the windows for months/years before someone bought them. They didn't have paint/finish defects on them. ? So Eh! "i do go on !"... I think that guitar has just naturaly weathered with age and it hasn't been repainted or a one put in its place for the exhibition. Plus being shut up in the guitar case all the time will effect the paint aswell over time.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

TAB wrote:I wish they could have put up Randy Diary open vest with all the studs.
Yeah or even the guitar case from the PDV it's probably stuck in storage behind the scene's at the R'n'R Hall of Fame. I liked the Les Paul guitar case how it had his name in stenciled letters and stickers from places he'd visited like Scotland & Paris Cool stuff.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!