Ozzy in Tears with Randy on stage

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Ozzy in Tears with Randy on stage

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

This was on Youtube and thought I would share...
Was that his first UK gig though?

"hi Matt i was lucky enough to be at Randys first ever gig with Ozzy at the Glasgow Apollo in Scotland September 1980 .

....we were all just blown away by this skinny little guy ....who tore the house down with his solo spot .....!!!

when the band came back on for an encore Ozzy was in tears because he never thought he would make it back .....he picked Randy up and showed him off to the crowd ...like a gladiator ...a star was born !!!.."
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Randy Perry's list says that
September 12th - Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland was the first official Blizzard of Ozz gig in UK. Another scheduled gig August 28th - Reading Festival, Reading, England was cancelled. Before that they did two try out gigs under the nam LAW but not much info available about that.
see: http://home.flash.net/~ulknatme/tourdate.htm

Can you post that youtube link?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Patrick

the comment was left on my own version of the spot light solo so no point in posting as it isn't RR.

cheers for the help

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i think it was prity much the same for all the very early dates of the 1980 UK tour.Ozzy must of had a very negative feeling that those dates would not create the same buzz as he did when touring with Sabbath. When i seen him, he did become very emotional during the gig, just because of the wild response/reaction of the crowd..Ozzy was back with his 'secret weapon' who was a very much underrated player back then. Just a shame that he couldn't of been around a bit longer to see how much of a vital ingredient this guitarist was to Ozzy's band to be such a growing success.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I still have trouble accepting that this FIRST ever solo show has never surfaced, I am told from a very reliable source that it was recorded and stored away. Why wasn't a taper out there recording this monumentle event? For Sabbath fans this was one of those once in a lifetime events! and even before 1980 important shows were never missed.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Trigger wrote:I still have trouble accepting that this FIRST ever solo show has never surfaced, I am told from a very reliable source that it was recorded and stored away. Why wasn't a taper out there recording this monumentle event? For Sabbath fans this was one of those once in a lifetime events! and even before 1980 important shows were never missed.
Ian i've read a couple of books about the Glasgow Apollo and it had a bad reputation with the stewards/bouncers. These being very heavy handed on anyone caught smuggling in tape recorders or cameras. Not to say that some people who had no fear would get in with the said items. A website is up and running about the venue and would probably be a good place to ask. You'll have to sign up to leave a message on the forum
http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/i ... d=1&m_id=6
Good luck with your search :wink:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

All things considerewd though, those venues were all rough on the tapers lots of my friends neally met sticky ends getting taping gear into venues. But they always got the specific rare performances and Ozzy's first solo show was very known about at the time.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

I remember the Don't Blame Me DVD, this one gut they interviewed mentioned the same thing about the Glasgow show. Not word for word what the guy on youtube said, but the same premise.