Randy's Jmp's Not Handwired???

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

wareagle wrote:well from those, the top showed me somthing i didnt know. randy jumped his amps. you can see the 2 chords.

Yep, instead of jumping channels he jumped his amps and went from the right to the left. That's one of the advantages when using 4-holer amps you can link as much amps together as you want! 8)
wareagle wrote:the bottom one, the 2 on the left are the light up switches and the left one looks to be a preamp one

I think the preamp one was the 'small logo toggle switch' head and was placed behind the stacks. I think it was always there, sometimes it was stacked upon the white amp and sometimes behind the stacks I guess. Again: just speculating, but for sure he did use 4 heads in '81 and '82. :wink:
wareagle wrote:that amp looks strange, the middle pic, it had inputs bolded and 1 1 2 2 instead of I I II II which i havent seen on a 76 model.
Yes it does look strange, I heard that '76 was a transition year where they tried all kind of weird combinations, bigger logo's, small logo's, rocker switches but also toggle switches. About the channel numbering: the reissue SLP's now have the 1 1 2 2 numbers, but the handwired 1959HW for instance have the I I II II.
wareagle wrote:in avoidance of strting a new thread any 1 know what tubes he used?
Marshall said that the white amp had EL34 (6ca7 type) tubes. (Groove tubes) And no information about the other amps......
So I expect that big bottle EL34's are in the new 1959RR as well? (no problem if you did start a new topic btw :wink: )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt

Post by matt »

I dont know if evenyone noticed this before but it looks like randy has 3 different style of amps bc if u look in the picture of the three amps he has a black one with a white stripe for a outline then the all white one next to it then he had a all black one. On the crazy train video he had two cords coming out of the white amp and only one coming out of the black with white pin stripe i thought that was kinda weird having two cords where would the other cord go.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The documentary is going to show the amps and you guys'll be in heaven....
The Flying Dutchman

matt wrote: i thought that was kinda weird having two cords where would the other cord go.

He linked his heads, signal going in upper left and going out from the low input left to the upper left input of the next amp and so on. He chained his heads from right to the left, the outer left amp was the last in chain so only one cable in and nothing out. :wink: (see pic below )

Below pic is from the same concert, and as you can see the first two amps seen from the right have each one cable in and one cable out.

wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:very cool. how does that work? looks like put your main into the lead I and the cable into low I and then cable to lead II?
Yep! Nothing new here btw, lots of players did it.
pinto79

Post by pinto79 »

I'd like to shed some light on something.

The term "Hand-wired" gets mis-construed quite often. All Marshalls up until the mid-80s were HANDWIRED. Marshall stopped "Point-to-Point" (PTP) wiring them around 1973. So, the early amps had a brown-ish support board for the components whereas the later ones has a printed circuit board (PCB). Both are considered hand-wired. If you look inside an early PTP unit and a hand-wired one you will notice that the pots, tube sockets, jacks and switches are all mounted to the chassis and then individually wired to the board. Later amps had these things for the most part mounted directly to the much larger PCB.

So to sum up, all PTP amps are hand-wired.
Not all Hand-wired amps are PTP.

I have a 1959RR and a Marshall JCM800 both of which are hand wired, and have PCBs. I also have a Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary model that is not Hand wired.