Randy studio outtakes???

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

cableguyxx wrote:
Trigger wrote: Hmmmm! well they (for me) are interesting to collect as are all the Ozzy shows, but the shows with Randy (in my oppinion) are like different albums. They all have something interesting or wierd in them. I often think it would be a great idea to put together a CD of all the strange things he did live or where something went wrong etc! nobody made errors sound like perfection like Randy did.
As Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Yessssssssssss" 100% completely agree. That idea of all the little mistakes, fills, discrepancies would be a cool thing to hear. Now, get to work on that :P
Do you fancy helping me list them? perhaps we could work it out :wink:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

As long as it's a long term project :oops: I already have 2 previous short term projects I'm committed to, and my time is usually sparse. Soudns like fun though!
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Well, I would defnitly want to help out..

Could we quick list some of thoses errors/funny things?
I never payed attention to them..

Is it me, or does Randy play the Crazy Train riff sometimes a bit to fast on the tribute album?
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Randy's SUPERbLooPerS
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Matthew wrote:
NicDots wrote:Meh, I've never been one to be really into out-takes or bootlegs from the Ozzy/Randy era to begin with.
I think i am with you there.

I do like the novelty of hearing different ways Randy does a solo but it is just a one off listen.

Matt
Yeah, I'm with you there. It's just not enough for me to hear Randy in crappy quality, playing something slightly different for 3 seconds or doing a pinch harmonic where he normally doesn't.
Now Sabbath bootlegs are entirely different...
bigduke6
Madman

Post by bigduke6 »

NicDots wrote:
Matthew wrote:
NicDots wrote:Meh, I've never been one to be really into out-takes or bootlegs from the Ozzy/Randy era to begin with.
I think i am with you there.

I do like the novelty of hearing different ways Randy does a solo but it is just a one off listen.

Matt
Yeah, I'm with you there. It's just not enough for me to hear Randy in crappy quality, playing something slightly different for 3 seconds or doing a pinch harmonic where he normally doesn't.
the sab bootlegs are much easier...heard 1...youve heard em all :roll:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

If anyone has any transcribing of a song from a bootleg though I would welcome the challenge of tabbing it...as long as you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

I am one of these weirdos who gets immense pleasure from notating and working something out. I did Stephanne Grapellis Ain't misbehaving for violin recently and actually loved it.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
KurtL

Post by KurtL »

does anyone have a link to those extended studio versions of tonight and you can't kill rock n' roll?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

bigduke6 wrote:
NicDots wrote:
Matthew wrote: I think i am with you there.

Matt
the sab bootlegs are much easier...heard 1...youve heard em all
:roll:
Well, the ones done in the 2000s, yes, but the 70s?
Tony Iommi is a much more improv player than Randy and he changed his stuff (namely his band jam solo) ALL the time, not to mention Ozzy improv'd quite a few lyrics (and in a good way, too).
One of my favorite bootlegs is from the Cal Jam. That show RULES. 8)
bigduke6
Madman

Post by bigduke6 »

NicDots wrote:
bigduke6 wrote:
NicDots wrote: Yeah, I'm with you there. It's just not enough for me to hear Randy in crappy quality, playing something slightly different for 3 seconds or doing a pinch harmonic where he normally doesn't.
the sab bootlegs are much easier...heard 1...youve heard em all

Tony Iommi is a much more improv player than Randy )
kind of an odd statement , seeing as that was Randy's most unique quality ..his ability to play live and add unreal fills and at times its almost like there were 2 or 3 players on stage....especially his super-charged version of the Sabbath songs. thats why people scour these bootlegs...it was a look into the future of what he was capable of and what could have been. Sure your listening to the same RR we are??....
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Yes, I am listening to the same RR. The only difference is that some people are willing to download poor quality shows to hear Randy playing something different for 3 seconds while some people are not. :wink:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Stewie wrote:Well, I would defnitly want to help out..

Could we quick list some of thoses errors/funny things?
I never payed attention to them..

Is it me, or does Randy play the Crazy Train riff sometimes a bit to fast on the tribute album?
Ok I will PM you about this because I have thought this would be a cool compilation for a few years now.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

bigduke6 wrote:
NicDots wrote:
bigduke6 wrote: the sab bootlegs are much easier...heard 1...youve heard em all

Tony Iommi is a much more improv player than Randy )
kind of an odd statement , seeing as that was Randy's most unique quality ..his ability to play live and add unreal fills and at times its almost like there were 2 or 3 players on stage....especially his super-charged version of the Sabbath songs. thats why people scour these bootlegs...it was a look into the future of what he was capable of and what could have been. Sure your listening to the same RR we are??....
I think also it depends on an individuals attitude to being live. There is a good argument to be made from a live concert only being experienced actually there and hense 'live.'

There isn't a right or wrong in this. It is just interesting to hear what we all love about our favourite guitarist 8)

Matt

ps Chitown...how the hell are you? :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Well said, Mattdweeby. 8)

And yes, Mr. Chitown! Long time no talk!
bigduke6
Madman

Post by bigduke6 »

AGAIN...your missing the point...theres precious little recorded work by Rhoads ...plus its his live playing that truely stamped his greatness. This comment of listening for "3 seconds" that he played on bootlegs..you lose me..i dont think he ever played any song the same way twice from ive heard. The esteemed Don Airey, when he went to a rehearsal prior to the Diary tour said he was actually "frightened" to join the band, he had never heard anything like it before...and Airey's been around the block a few times. I saw Sabbath 3 times in their prime..75, 76, 78....trust me, you didnt miss anything...you had to listen for a full minute before you understood what song they were playing...way too loud, muddled, and distorted. as for stage presence, Iommi was tedious at best...thats what "live" means to me...