Randy's Version of the Sabbath songs

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Randy's Version of the Sabbath songs

Post by NicDots »

So I have tried for years and years, literally....to like Randy's version of the Sabbath songs on the Tribute album and other boots. But I have finally come to the conclusion that they are bad. Especially Paranoid. You could TELL he didn't like Sabbath by the way he did those songs. :lol:
I suppose for Iron Man, there isn't much deviation from the real version of the song cause it just segues into COTG. I always thought it was strange that Randy didn't do the low E bend in the beginning. COTG is meh...ok. The solo is prety stock if you ask me.
But his tone for the song is wicked I must say! (I'm trying to be positive sort of so I don't get a boot thrown at me). :lol:

What are your thoughts?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy Sucks, Tony RULES!!!

Just kidding!

I actually like Randy's playing on those songs. Tony did a superb job of writing them, but I don't always care for his soloing.
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

I always liked Randy's Paranoid solo from Montreal. I liked it because it sounded like he royaly screwed it up - but it was so freakin' cool!
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

I loved his version of Children OF The Grave. The Solo is just so sweet. His version of Iron Man was a bit boring, and Paranoid was ok. I've always loved Jake E. Lee's version of Paranoid the best.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

His tribute version of children of the grave is awesome in my honest opinion. the solo is brutal!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Randy, I suppose that's one way to look at his Paranoid solo. Makes him human, doesn't it?
I remember hearing it for the first time and thought "What the hell is he doing here? Where is he taking this?" :lol:
I think I much prefer Zakk's Sabbath versions. Jake's were pretty good too. He really ripped on Fairies Wear Boots!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I LOVE Brad Gillis' versions of Never Say Die, Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath and Symptom of the Universe.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Totally forgot about Brad! He did an amazing job with all those Sabbath tunes. I really liked The Wizard!

But going back to Randy, I wish I could have heard him and Ozzy do a nice acoustic version of Changes. That would have been rad.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

interesting topic :D

i like randys versions of the songs, he totaly refreshed them IMO. It was the paranoid solo off tribute that made me want to play guitar.

looking back on it that solo its pretty amazing, he uses scales that make no logical sense yet it still sounds great IMO.

randys playing really takes a dive on the 1982 shows though. It sounds like he's bored of the songs and cant be assed. Can't say i blame him playing the same 3 sabbath songs every show, especialy as he wasnt keen on sabbath.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I like Randy in 1981 the best. 1980 he's too all over the place compared to 1981...1982 had too much keyboards so it's hard for me to tell how he actually played. :lol:
Randy Perry

Post by Randy Perry »

Absolutely! Screwing up the Paranoid solo humanized him in my eyes. But it sounded so good, perhaps the coolest goof I've ever heard.

Brad Gillis, though I wasn't a huge fan I did like the live Sabbath stuff he did quite a bit. And, even though Randy didn't want to do an entire album of Sabbath songs... I would have loved to hear how it would have turned out.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's Version of the Sabbath songs

Post by siro_angel »

I found that Randy did a good job of them, prooved that you dont have to stick to the rules, i mean whenever i played paranoid with a friend on rythmn he (if you dont mind the expression) shit himself, cos i combined a little of Randy's start of the solo then just did rapid scales from roots 5th to 7h to 9th frets, (penatonic scales) and just went apeshit, needless to say my friend afterwoulds took a deep breath and said..

"Simon.. stop.. please.. at least join a band"

which i refuse to do, because granted im oki, but i aint band material, im better solo.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

I recall standing in an arena in late 1981 getting my face literally blistered as Randy tore through these tunes. I couldn't believe how intense he made them in a live, in your face situation. It was like he poured rocket fuel on them... just incredible. The HEAT just ROLLED off of the stage. Excuse my vocabulary here but he was simply " un fucking believable".
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

This is an interesting thread!

These are my opinions...

I was shocked when I heard of Randy's distaste towards Sabbath as I think his composing had some similiarities to the Sabbath style.

The use of the minor 3rd interval may seem a small one but it is idiosyncratic enough or even musically perverse enough:D to stand out as an example.

When I hear the tri tone bit on Over The Mountain or the sequences in the heavy section of Diary or the milking of the minor 3rd on Believer I just think Sabbath.

Flying High, Crazy Train Little Dolls, Tonight are such different tracks to Suicide Solution, Believer, Diary, SATO, Over The Mountain etc.

I like Randy's dark side the best 8)

I love Children of The Grave and the solo to Paranoid. If he hated them I think that might have made the solos all the more 'pushing the boundries' in their nature!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

I actually like the way Randy played these songs better than how Sabbath played them. The Paranoid solo is just mind blowing, better, IMO.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end