The Randy Rhoads documentary film

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

alex1251

The Randy Rhoads documentary film

Post by alex1251 »

is it gonna be like a Sundance thing? or is it gonna be released directly to DVD? I really cant wait to see it and find out more about Randy. Hopefully it comes out on DVD someday or a video format.
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Randy Rhoads documentary film

Post by Trigger »

alex1251 wrote:is it gonna be like a Sundance thing? or is it gonna be released directly to DVD? I really cant wait to see it and find out more about Randy. Hopefully it comes out on DVD someday or a video format.
Peter who is making the film is a member here, you will get the best answer from him his name here is Film Director, you could PM him :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

I wanna see it myself also :) its about time Randy gets into the spotlight again, i've noticed he's been shunned out by Dimebag, dont get me wrong they are both players, but when you see Dimebag remembered, you never hardly see a Randy Rhoads remembered.

Anyways, wasn't Peter Margolis, an ex student of Randy's? If I'm right, well, thats better than having someone who doesn't know Randy i.e Steven Spielberg lol, I mean its a personal touch isn't it?

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

theres a great interview with Peter on american made guitars about how his relationship with randy and how he came to work on the film.

http://www.americanmadeguitars.com/articles.html

towards the bottom of the page

p.s. this site has stacks of good interviews
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

I fancy hearing some of Kelle Rhoads' piano playing now.. lol

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

A documentary about Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone was released theatrically on a very limited film festival run. Now the DVD release is taking time. The news on their website says:

"We are working very hard to get the film to DVD. The delay is due to music licensing and the costs and legal issues involved for use outside of film festivals. We are doing all in our power to make the release happen for everyone. I want to thank you for your patience and for your support. I'll make this happen, it's just taken more time than expected due to unforeseeable complications."

So hopefully Peter will have all the legalities worked out in the contract before the film goes to any festivals. I'd hate to know it's out there and not be able to see it because I cannot get to a festival and the legal issues are delaying the DVD.

My hope is that Peter's film gets a lot of recognition at Sundance, et al... he's talked of doing a full dramatic presentation of Randy's life if the documentary can stir up enough interest.

Then we can spend months debating who should play him in the film and how Frank can get a cameo :roll:
Film Director

Post by Film Director »

I can speak about the film in very broad strokes and in general terms.
I have not finished shooting yet.
I am about 80%completed.
It is the last 20% that is going to take as long as the 80% took.
There are certain people who are very critical to the story who must be in the film but are tremendously difficult to get a commitment from.
Then there is the task of transcribing every single interview.
I have been very fortunate in finding someone who without his help, this task would have been an impossible undertaking. Nevertheless, it is a painstakingly slow and laborious process. Then add t that digitizing and batch grouping every single frame of footage.
Every interview has been shot with a minimum of three cameras and a maximum of 5 cameras. That is a lot of footage to digitize.
And this is just the beginning. The real problems come in to play with photo clearances, clip clearances and the most difficult: music licensing.
Music licensing has been the thorn in my side from the beginning.
And, we are just starting to put a timeline together for editing.
So, that being said, please know that I am working on this with as much devotion to completing it in a timely fashion as possible, many road blocks withstanding.
Peter
Peter M. Margolis
Film Director
Los Angeles, CA.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Film Director wrote:I can speak about the film in very broad strokes and in general terms.
I am about 80%completed.
There are certain people who are very critical to the story who must be in the film but are tremendously difficult to get a commitment from.
I have been very fortunate in finding someone who without his help, this task would have been an impossible undertaking. Nevertheless, it is a painstakingly slow and laborious process. Then add t that digitizing and batch grouping every single frame of footage.
Every interview has been shot with a minimum of three cameras and a maximum of 5 cameras. That is a lot of footage to digitize.
And this is just the beginning. The real problems come in to play with photo clearances, clip clearances and the most difficult: music licensing.
So, that being said, please know that I am working on this with as much devotion to completing it in a timely fashion as possible, many road blocks withstanding.
Peter
Thats really great Peter thanks for stopping by and letting us know :D When are you going to be in Britain? I still want you to be my guest for drinks :) .
Happy new year 2008 to you and the crew I hope you had a few days of fun over the holidays.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I have added a sticky in 'Off Topic' could you all please read it to help us finout what has happened or if you have had problems. :)
It is conected to this subject.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

Your oppinions are very welcome or evidence will be much apriciated. :)
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Thanks Peter for the update.
I hope that you had a good New Year.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Film Director wrote:I can speak about the film in very broad strokes and in general terms.
I am about 80%completed.
Peter
I am going to have cold bottles of diet coke bought, bottled Budvar and an ordrered pizza ready with curtains drawn when I one day get the film in my greedy hands :D

Thanks for the update Peter

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hey Matt

How about getting some exra Spanish beers in and inviting me & Jessica as well? 8) :lol:

Ian
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Trigger wrote:Hey Matt

How about getting some exra Spanish beers in and inviting me & Jessica as well? 8) :lol:

Ian
and me :P

Simon
alex1251

Post by alex1251 »

I am about 80%completed.
Peter
wow, I can now tell my kids when I have some, that the guy who made the Rhoads documentary possible, posted in the same thread that I started. :wink:
Goodbye to romance, yeah
Goodbye to friends,
Goodbye to all the Past
I guess that we'll meet
We'll meet in the end
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

alex1251 wrote:
I am about 80%completed.
Peter
wow, I can now tell my kids when I have some, that the guy who made the Rhoads documentary possible, posted in the same thread that I started. :wink:
thats one of the things i like about the rhoads fanbase/community, we've got all sorts of people like Kelly Garni, Bob Daisley etc. who post on the forums. In another context a lot of people like this would turn their noses up as us regular fans, but in the rhoads community we're all equal. After all we're all here because of one man, not because someone else happens to be a rock star.

I dont know any other forums for films/musicians where directors or bandmembers take time to talk to the fans.