So, I head Randy mentioned in some lyrics the other day

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NoQuattro
Cool Member

So, I head Randy mentioned in some lyrics the other day

Post by NoQuattro »

I was listening to one of my favorite bands the other day (The Drive-By Truckers, a southern rock outfit down here in Georgia, check 'em out) and during the song "Let There Be Rock," they mention Randy!

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in 82
Right before that plane crash.
And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC...

I think it's great to see Randy pop up every now and again. I also think it's funny that I like a band that respects Randy without me even knowing it! The lyrics are bittersweet, but I thought it was cool nonetheless. I had to rewind it to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me!
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I was listening to a radio show here in Britain about 2 years ago on a station that is non music, it only covers news and factual content. The program was about classical composers and Randy's name popped up as a name that will be very popular in the next couple of hundered years.

I think its amazing to hear his name raised in songs or programs by people you never expected to know or even mention him.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Trigger wrote:I was listening to a radio show here in Britain about 2 years ago on a station that is non music, it only covers news and factual content. The program was about classical composers and Randy's name popped up as a name that will be very popular in the next couple of hundered years.

I think its amazing to hear his name raised in songs or programs by people you never expected to know or even mention him.
interesting, do you remember any more of what was said Trig?
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

I was listening to a radio show here in Britain about 2 years ago on a station that is non music, it only covers news and factual content. The program was about classical composers and Randy's name popped up as a name that will be very popular in the next couple of hundered years.
There is a book on this very subject that The New York Times lists as one of the "Top 10 Books of 2007":

THE REST IS NOISE

Listening to the Twentieth Century.

By Alex Ross.

I always hear Randy Rhoads on both sides the coin. One side is hard rock metal electric guitar mastery. The other side is a maestro classical composer in the making. The discussion that Trigger heard sounds very similar to the following quoted review of the book The Rest Is Noise.

Schoenberg and Stravinsky both did their best to squeeze huge fees from sympathetic Hollywood studios. Thereafter, scoring music for films became one of the principal ways in which new orchestral music maintained a viable position in the cultural marketplace. And while America produced both homegrown composers of “straight musicâ€Â
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

I was listening to some local Detriot public AM radio show, March 19 2002, and sure enough, the soft, buisness-like voice of the news reporter mentioned "20 years ago....." I was shocked. 9/11 was less than a year old at that time and March 02 (I think March 19th) was when the war started I believe. Totally unexpected in that forum. Randy Rhoads!!!!