To Have Been There

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

To Have Been There

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I have always wondered what it might have been like to be at one of those Ozzy/Randy concerts as a fan. Here is a photo that gives you the impression of actually being there...

http://randy-rhoads.com/plogger/index.p ... re&id=1039
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This is from the July 4th 1981 show, which is in the free audio section here. I love the shot and if I remember right on photo's from this show (that were closer to the stage) you can see a video camera behind Tommy.

great shot 8)

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

trig:

can you link to this picture showing the camera behind tommy? i can't seem to find it.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Here you go:

I spend some posts about this back in my rr.tk days. (years ago):

DOTG pic

Someone, I think member TAB said it's not a video cam but someone with a black logo on a T-shirt sitting aside leaning to someone. (something like that, I have to check my archives)
He has seen the original pic. I asked him if he could show a better quality pic to be sure. Never seen a better copy of it, so who knows?
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Here you go:

I spend some posts about this back in my rr.tk days. (years ago):

DOTG pic

Someone, I think member TAB said it's not a video cam but someone with a black logo on a T-shirt sitting aside leaning to someone. (something like that, I have to check my archives)
He has seen the original pic. I asked him if he could show a better quality pic to be sure. Never seen a better copy of it, so who knows?
What is more surprising is that the 'Day on the green' festivals were filmed up to 1981 and after 1981, so why would 1981 not have either pro or fans viseo cameras at the show? it makes no sense and even if the film had been super 8 with no sound track we have a gtreat sounding boot recording that could have been linked up to the video.

I don't believe that no cameras were at this show, even if this photo doesn't show a camera.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Trigger wrote:What is more surprising is that the 'Day on the green' festivals were filmed up to 1981 and after 1981, so why would 1981 not have either pro or fans viseo cameras at the show? it makes no sense and even if the film had been super 8 with no sound track we have a gtreat sounding boot recording that could have been linked up to the video.

I don't believe that no cameras were at this show, even if this photo doesn't show a camera.
Seeing no cams doesn't mean there was no filming.
On the Skynyrd and AC/DC footage of DOTG no cams can be seen either. Also a lot of that seems to be filmed from distance. :wink:
In a stadium like that there were lots of oppertunities to film it very well without having any cams on/or near the stage.
I started a topic about this on the new board which was removed.......
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

TAB wrote:I have an 8x10 copy of the original photo I got from another member over at tk. It's high res. and yes it's not a camera unfortunately. Off topic though but I posted some posters over at tk. Some rare stuff in my collection.
Hey Tab,
Thanx for clarifying this! :)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
:? what was the point in them doing that?! :shock: :?
The Flying Dutchman

Trigger wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:
:? what was the point in them doing that?! :shock: :?
This is what Frank heard when he informed for me:
Footage can be discussed here but among each other, Peter would like to keep the footage info on the downlow for reasons I can't discuss. Any questions about footage will be moved or deleted from Peters Q&A.
This is what I heard afterwards, too bad because it was developping into an interesting topic, they could easily copy it to another section instead of deleting it. However they maybe have some good reasons, who knows? If it's making the chances better for Peter to obtain something then it's really worth not to discuss it over there. However for us fans it's very difficult to get censored because our patience is tested for decades already.
And also: if we didn't discuss it over there Peter (or other people) probably wouldn't get alerted about this either..... sometimes one thing can lead to another. :wink:
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

yes the DOTG show would have been amazing to watch because it's outside and the photos have so much color to them. I have met people at the memorial a few years back that said they saw something on mtv. Though I think at Peters forum someone commented on seeing a photo of Randy with PDV and dates scrolling across it. This guy told me he saw Randy standing there shaking his head. Maybe he was stoned though :P In all the photos there are not obvious crews or what looks like tripods or lighting. Back then I would think the equipment would have to be large for pro shot stuff. It's too bad cause there is a lot of footage of bands like VH from the side before Randy played there. There are so many rumors over the years, I think Peter just doesn't want a lot of those to be bouncing around the forum since they are working on a film.
The Flying Dutchman

I think we spoke the same guy: Doug right?
He was alright with it if I used his witness in public, so her another time:
I was at my girlfriends house and we were watching MTV and they were running
a commercial for Sept '81 Ozzy tour dates. It was behind the scrolling tour
dates. It was outdoor, daytime, you could see it OK kind of distant
but, you could see Randy on the right side of the stage and Ozzy in the
middle. A friend of mine who is photographer (Daniel Larsen) was at the July
4th Oakland show and told me it was a multi camera shoot. MTV owns that
footage and is rotting in their vault. If I remember correctly Bill Grahm
productions was the original promoter. I only saw it once. I wish I had
taped it but, who knew it was coming on. I'm sure one day more Randy footage
will surface. I mean more than what's out there now.
Do you remember what song they where playing?
It's hard to say. I don't really remember any sound in the background. I do
remember alot of talking over it. It was like, see Ozzy Osbourne on the road
coming to your town soon blah blah..
Very, very interesting stuff.....
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

yes Doug is his name. Though he told me that Randy was in the middle of the screen and shaking he head back and forth with the PDV. hmm.. who knows ? Someone else commented that they saw a still picture with tour dates so I wonder :?: Doug also commented that Zak and some other people in bands in the inner circle were watching a tape of Randy and it wasn't after hours. I don't know how he knew this but he said there is more than we know. Though he seemed stoned to be blunt.. parden the pun when I talked to him. :lol:
The Flying Dutchman

TAB wrote:Though he seemed stoned to be blunt.. parden the pun when I talked to him. :lol:
Makes you wonder huh? :wink: :lol:

I lost contact with him, his email is not working anymore. It would be interesting to see if his story is still the same? :wink: