Did any of you see Randy play live?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did any of you see Randy play live?

Post by Trigger »

I wondered if any of us who saw Randy live would like to share there story with us all? :)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Unfortunately not......
I discovered him when he was already 5 years gone. At that time 5 years looked like ages, but now he's almost as long gone as he was with us..... And the more I realize what a short life he had. :cry:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Sorry no ..

I was born the very year he passed.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Yes!!! It was and continues to be one of the greatest memories of my life. In one single evening, my entire concept of what a rock band could be was completely and utterly redefined. As I have said many other times before, the moment Randy Rhoads began playing, you simply knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT. His virtuosity was absolutely blinding......something which I will never forget. That is why almost 25 years later I make the effort to be apart of this tribute site. After the concert, I was very very lucky and priviledged to meet him. I had a few brief moments of conversation with him during which he was very gracious and friendly.....such a memory! From that night onward, I have been a huge fan.....one of the many "keepers of the flame" so to speak.
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Xanadu wrote:Yes!!! It was and continues to be one of the greatest memories of my life. In one single evening, my entire concept of what a rock band could be was completely and utterly redefined. As I have said many other times before, the moment Randy Rhoads began playing, you simply knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT. His virtuosity was absolutely blinding......something which I will never forget. That is why almost 25 years later I make the effort to be apart of this tribute site. After the concert, I was very very lucky and priviledged to meet him. I had a few brief moments of conversation with him during which he was very gracious and friendly.....such a memory! From that night onward, I have been a huge fan.....one of the many "keepers of the flame" so to speak.
Thanks X that was a great story 8) which venue and date was it? :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Trigger.......September 2nd 1981. A date that I can recall as easily as my own birthday!!! Springfield, Illinois. The "Prairie Capitol Convention Center". Def Leppard opened. From what I understand, this was during the last week or so of the "Blizzard" tour. A fabulous, fabulous memory. The program Randy signed for me that night is displayed in a place of prominence and honor within my home...!!! Next to my wife and kids, my most prized possession! :D
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Xanadu wrote:Trigger.......September 2nd 1981. A date that I can recall as easily as my own birthday!!! Springfield, Illinois. The "Prairie Capitol Convention Center". Def Leppard opened. From what I understand, this was during the last week or so of the "Blizzard" tour. A fabulous, fabulous memory. The program Randy signed for me that night is displayed in a place of prominence and honor within my home...!!! Next to my wife and kids, my most prized possession! :D
Hey X, you are a very lucky guy! :twisted:

Something I always wondered how was Randy's guitarsound in real?
Did it sound like Tribute or like the Texas soundcheck or like the Cleveland boot or different? How loud was it?, could you hear the rest of the band clearly? Was it cleaner or more distorted than the records?
Did your the sound more comming from his Marshall Cabs or from the PA?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Thank you Dutch.....I am a lucky guy. Very lucky. I was just in the right place at the right time in meeting him. We were sooooooo blown away by this unknown guitarist that it is difficult to put into words. Randy had such a HOT HOT sound as well as a riveting stage presence. To me, in a live situation, his sound was probably closer to the Montreal "King Biscuit" than anything...buy actually, no recording or bootleg really does him justice, as you can well imagine. Yes, it was VERY LOUD.......or should I say.....POWERFUL. The band sound as well as Randy's own sound was very clear and consise. An excellent mix for that size of a room...which was approx. 5-6 thousand people. Randy played with an array of color...does that make sense? He was a master of his effects board.....very very effective in it's use. You were able to hear every nuance, every note clearly. This is one of the reasons we were soooo blown over by "this guy". His playing itself was so absolutely monsterous! The runs and fills he used.......runs within runs and fills within fills.........but at no time did he overplay. Every single note was so effective and so well placed. Again...difficult to describe such intense viruosity...especially when it's so "in your face". Never before or since has any one guitarist had such an impact on my central nervous system the way he did.. To say he was magnificent would be a gross understatement........I could go on and on. There just aren't enough adjectives in this world to properly describe. I am just so glad that I was able to experience Randy Rhoads in a live situation. Beyond incredible......and 6 short months later. He was gone. A loss that I feel to this day...otherwise I wouldn't be here.....
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

Xanadu wrote:Trigger.......September 2nd 1981. A date that I can recall as easily as my own birthday!!! Springfield, Illinois. The "Prairie Capitol Convention Center". Def Leppard opened. From what I understand, this was during the last week or so of the "Blizzard" tour. A fabulous, fabulous memory. The program Randy signed for me that night is displayed in a place of prominence and honor within my home...!!! Next to my wife and kids, my most prized possession! :D
Thats amazing..Do you remember what you and Randy talked about?
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

SixPounder.....Really, I don't want to make it out to be more than it was. It was just a few brief moments as Randy was leaving the building. Myself and a good friend who happened to be a guitar teacher himself had just witnessed one of the greatest displays of musical virtuosity that we had ever seen. As I said before, we were just so blown away by what we had just experienced. We were on our way to our car after the show when we saw a lone tour bus parked close to a rear door of the hall. The driver was outside having a smoke so we decided to ask him if it was for the band or for the crew......to which he told us it was indeed for the band. There was no question that we were then going to hang around for a bit to see if Randy came out. In fairly short order, Ozzy came running out sheilded by some 9ft. tall 800lb. bodyguard. He ran directly onto the bus all out of breath.......we couldn't have cared less. We were there in hopes of seeing Randy. A few minutes later, that rear door opened and Randy walked out by himself. We walked up to him and asked if we could have a moment of his time. To this he replied "...sure" and smiled. We appreciated that. No "rock star...don't bother me" attitude here. We shook hands and told him how much we had enjoyed the show. He replied "Great...how was the sound?" We told him that the sound quality was excellent and that he was, without question, the finest rock guitarist that we had ever seen. He smiled and said thanks......I asked if he would mind signing my program and he did. For Randy, I am sure that this was just another encounter with a fan. For me, it was an encounter with true, true greatness. We thanked him again and told him we appreciated his time. He smiled again and wished us well.....and with that he stepped onto the bus and into history. A few months later, the "King Biscuit" Montreal show was broadcast on the local FM rock station. I recorded it of course and it got played over and over....and over.....and over. In January of 1982, I had the chance to go to the Chicago show at the Rosemont Horizon. I didn't, due to a conflicting work schedual. Such a regret....a hard, hard regret. I knew there would be other shows....much more to come.....so the "King Biscuit" recording would just continue to melt the speakers. Then came the afternoon of March 19. The news of Randy's loss was just unreal......it couldn't possibly be true. But, indeed it was. As time went by, I later married, had kids......moved on with life, but Randy's presence has never left me. My twin boys are both big Randy fans....I guess you could say they grew up with him. That program Randy signed so long ago is framed and matted and displayed in the den of my home. Sometimes the boys will bring in friends to see it. It's still keeping "old dad" somewhat cool.....and they all want to hear the story. And you know what, I never get tired of telling it. We are all "keepers of the flame" here. As long as there are the excellent folks of this board and others, Randy's memory will never dim!!! We will see to that!!! :wink:
Last edited by Xanadu on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

aww man, thats wonderful. I was never privellaged enough to be alive when Randy was but still i can appreciate him in the same way everyone else was. I know people have this attitude towards people who were born after Randy all this "He died before he was born, so whats the point in him supporting him", the point of the matter is Randy influenced my life, and many others and i, like yourself, am a keeper of a flame which will go on for years i hope. I try to do the best I can, but dont we all. Its great we have someone here who spent some precious time with him.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Those few moments with Randy were a privilege.....and so is being a member of this board. For years, before the internet, you might have had a few close friends who even knew who Randy was. Now.....due to this wonderful technology, kind folks from around the world can pay tribute to him through sites like you have created here! Thank you!!! :wink: :!: :!: :!:
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Xanadu wrote:Those few moments with Randy were a privilege.....and so is being a member of this board. For years, before the internet, you might have had a few close friends who even knew who Randy was. Now.....due to this wonderful technology, kind folks from around the world can pay tribute to him through sites like you have created here! Thank you!!! :wink: :!: :!: :!:
well I am sure Trigger and the mods will agree with me on this one, its not me you should be thanking.
1. It should be Randy for inspiring us to do such a thing.

But mainly, its fans like you Xanadu, and the many other members that make this board nice. You are the real creators, the people who come on here and check it out and enjoy the bootlegs me and Trigger post up for download (or in this week sixpounder :D) and come here to talk about someone who we all care a lot for. Its you who make this board great, not me, or Trigger. Its the great guys who come here, and make this site a privellage for me as well :).
Thank you :!: :!: :!:
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

:D yep, twice. On both the Blizzard and diary tours. San Diego Ca.

Blizzard tour was at the Fox Theatre in S.D. (small venue). Motorhead opened the show. it was great, 16th row dead center! Stage was simple, no elaborate props, Just Ozzy and the band.

Diary tour was wwwaaaayyy different! It was at the San Diego Sports Arena and totally sold out!. I can't remember who opened the show (too hammered! LOL!!). Stage props were F**kin' excellent....Dwarves running around in monk's outfits, Tommy Aldridge on a drum riser that looked like a big ass gothic throne-type chair, F**kin' awesome! The beers were flowin' and the air in the arena was thick with reefer ! Great memories! I've still got the official tour program.
Last edited by deansolo on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Deansolo......No kidding!!!!!........you saw Randy on both tours?????? Wow!!! Tell us about your experience.....and don't be stingy!!!!! And I KNOW that there is a great story to be told here!!!!!! So.....TELL IT!!!!! :lol: