Did any of you see Randy play live?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Did any of you see Randy play live?

Post by hansolo »

I've been saving this psychology of Ozzy's hair for just this occasion; Ozzy had one length hair until he met Randy. If you look at the hair of Ozzy, once he met Randy, gradually his doo becomes like Randy's! Dyed and cut. At one point, after Randy dies Ozzy must get rid his "Randy hair" because that is what he sees in the mirror every day, Randy. This is my impression of what happened during that era. The wig used on Speak of the devil was quite Randyish...
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

hansolo wrote:I've been saving this psychology of Ozzy's hair for just this occasion; Ozzy had one length hair until he met Randy. If you look at the hair of Ozzy, once he met Randy, gradually his doo becomes like Randy's! Dyed and cut. At one point, after Randy dies Ozzy must get rid his "Randy hair" because that is what he sees in the mirror every day, Randy. This is my impression of what happened during that era. The wig used on Speak of the devil was quite Randyish...

Ozz wore a wig during speak of the devil ?

I didn't know that
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah Rudy mentions this in his book 'Off the Rails' he had these 'bad' halloween wigs that he had to style into an Ozzy head of hair. With some bad attempts and Ozzy saying "i'm not wearing that" etc.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I love the story where Sharon had Rudy running all over town for a wig, only to have Ozzy go on stage and toss it in the crowd during the first number. Yep, what you see on the cover is fake hair. It's also weird after Randy died, in the early Jake version of the band, Ozzy has short black hair and the weird reinvented chain-mail suit. The suit now had sleeves and suspenders and a spike on his elbow. I believe Don Costas (bass) was in the band at this time but soon he was replaced by Bob D. because Don was cutting himself and bleeding all over himself and his bass onstage. I heard he had a cheese-grater mounted on his bass! It was about the macabre not psycho! You don't actually use your own blood! Then came the witch doctor outfit...
DJ Rock Angel

Post by DJ Rock Angel »

I was grounded the night Randy played Cobo..they gave my sister my concert ticket for some odd reason and she went in my place...that being said; I listened to the coverage on WLLZ. Then I shut the radio off and picked up my old Epphone acoustic..I heard a voice say to me, "Put your finger on this string and keep it on this Fret and strum along." Then I put on my old Bob Seger album and started playing along to "Night Moves." Just felt like sharing..I played along and went into the zone. :) At 15 years old.

No passage can divert the course of Pegasus the Muses Horse
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Did they play the Cobo Hall show on the radio?
DJ Rock Angel

Post by DJ Rock Angel »

I didnt go to the show..but met him at a club - he was wearing a purple shirt, black vest and black pants. I kissed him and he called me Bubblicious and I giggled. I was a teenager...Happy memory...not a sad one..He told me don't smoke or swear..and metioned that going to college would be a smart choice for me..and kissed me again and said I will watching you to see what happens..wait and see. :)

No passage can divert the course of Pegasus the Muses Horse
leftyaxeman

Post by leftyaxeman »

I was lucky enough to see Blizzard of Ozz and Randy play several times. 1st time was at the Capital Theater in Passaic(April 24, 1981). I was 5th row for that show & it was an eye & ear opener to say the least. It was also a lesson, being so close. 8 days later on May 2nd I was at the Palladium & caught both sets there.

On 3-19-13 I posted on another thread about meeting Randy and getting to talk to him for awhile:

Still a fond memory, 31 years later. I responded to a thread in the live section and thought that today, it gives you insight to a humble, but amazing talent gone way before his time.

Went to a record store in Manhattan where Ozzy, Rudy & Randy were doing an album signing. It was right out of Spinal Tap. Those 3, a store clerk, myself & a couple of friends were the only people in the store. They were waiting for someone to come into the store for the signing & no one, not one other customer beside us. Needless to say, I took full advantage, ended up getting to speak w/Randy for about 30mins. Incredibly humble & nice guy. I had mentioned that I was studying classical guitar, & he came around the counter & we went off to the side to discuss composers, technique & pieces I was working on. I tried asking about Quiet Riot, he brushed it off & wanted to know more about my classical studies. For me, it was so refreshing to meet my guitar hero & find he was down to earth, not arrogant like Blackmore & Malmsteen(they didnt even want to deal with their fans). I left that day totally inspired. I'm still playing in bands to this day. Randy has always been, and will always be one of my biggest musical influences. Hope that didnt bore anyone.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

leftyaxeman wrote:I was lucky enough to see Blizzard of Ozz and Randy play several times. 1st time was at the Capital Theater in Passaic(April 24, 1981). I was 5th row for that show & it was an eye & ear opener to say the least. It was also a lesson, being so close. 8 days later on May 2nd I was at the Palladium & caught both sets there.

On 3-19-13 I posted on another thread about meeting Randy and getting to talk to him for awhile:

Still a fond memory, 31 years later. I responded to a thread in the live section and thought that today, it gives you insight to a humble, but amazing talent gone way before his time.

Went to a record store in Manhattan where Ozzy, Rudy & Randy were doing an album signing. It was right out of Spinal Tap. Those 3, a store clerk, myself & a couple of friends were the only people in the store. They were waiting for someone to come into the store for the signing & no one, not one other customer beside us. Needless to say, I took full advantage, ended up getting to speak w/Randy for about 30mins. Incredibly humble & nice guy. I had mentioned that I was studying classical guitar, & he came around the counter & we went off to the side to discuss composers, technique & pieces I was working on. I tried asking about Quiet Riot, he brushed it off & wanted to know more about my classical studies. For me, it was so refreshing to meet my guitar hero & find he was down to earth, not arrogant like Blackmore & Malmsteen(they didnt even want to deal with their fans). I left that day totally inspired. I'm still playing in bands to this day. Randy has always been, and will always be one of my biggest musical influences. Hope that didnt bore anyone.
i read that story a while back and i love it from everybody's story it seems like randy was a laid back guy
ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah Rudy mentions this in his book 'Off the Rails' he had these 'bad' halloween wigs that he had to style into an Ozzy head of hair. With some bad attempts and Ozzy saying "i'm not wearing that" etc.
He should have worn red hair wigs. That could be cool.
Last edited by ShayneThill on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Loving the stories here,No unfortunately i was too young only 8 years old when Randy died and eventhen i didnt discover him until i was 12 in 1986 the closest i came to anything related to him was the house/studio where they wrote both the albums which bizarrely an old friend bought ......
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

March 6 1982 B-ham AL D.O.A.M tour--UFO opened the show and they where great-I was front row in front of Randy during the whole concert it was a general admission show so we got there early--they did not have the castle setup as this is a smaller hall so all I saw was RRs Marshall stacks--anyways Randy had a awesome sound that night and seemed to be enjoying himself--we made eye contact several times and he smiled most of the time--after the show we hung out behind the hall where the bus was parked and got to met Tommy as he got on the bus--Randy and Rudy where already on it as we saw them through the front window--I met Randys guitar tech and got a pic from him then met another roadie and he gave me and my step brother a backstage pass after the show-The bus driver had his window open so we asked him to get Randys autograph for us and he did--we asked for Randy to come outside but he declined as it was freezing cold and sprinkling rain--the last I saw of Randy was him sipping a beer sitting by the window--probally my favorite concert Ive ever seen and Ive seen alot
Attachments
PC080871.JPG
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Lespauly wrote:March 6 1982 B-ham AL D.O.A.M tour--UFO opened the show and they where great-I was front row in front of Randy during the whole concert it was a general admission show so we got there early--they did not have the castle setup as this is a smaller hall so all I saw was RRs Marshall stacks--anyways Randy had a awesome sound that night and seemed to be enjoying himself--we made eye contact several times and he smiled most of the time--after the show we hung out behind the hall where the bus was parked and got to met Tommy as he got on the bus--Randy and Rudy where already on it as we saw them through the front window--I met Randys guitar tech and got a pic from him then met another roadie and he gave me and my step brother a backstage pass after the show-The bus driver had his window open so we asked him to get Randys autograph for us and he did--we asked for Randy to come outside but he declined as it was freezing cold and sprinkling rain--the last I saw of Randy was him sipping a beer sitting by the window--probally my favorite concert Ive ever seen and Ive seen alot

Bus Driver would that have been Andrew Aycock?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Mojopin I am not sure if it was Andrew or not--I think he had a moustache and may have been on the heavy side but its been alongtime ago and I was excited to just see Randy
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Lespauly wrote:Mojopin I am not sure if it was Andrew or not--I think he had a moustache and may have been on the heavy side but its been alongtime ago and I was excited to just see Randy

Yes sure...i can picture the scene though. Randy Rhoads was without question a really humble, kind, gentle guy.

That mustve been very rare back then with all the bigheads and egos involved in rock....