Diary stage set question ?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Diary stage set question ?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was reading an article and i got the feeling that the Ozzy stage show for the Diary 81 UK tour, ( Castles gothic arches etc) was not used in the UK.The first time this was used was when they toured with the Pete Way,Brad Gillis line up in late '82.Did anyone here go to see any of the Diary UK shows with RR ??
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

I saw the Diary tour in San Diego Ca...They used that set with Randy, Rudy and Tommy. I can't remember the exact date off hand, but theres a pic of my ticket stub somewhere on this site. :)

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The UK tour was a wash out anyway and i think the dates that they did all 3 of them the rest being cancelled with the interest of doing the production for the Europe and US tours.The only other reason which ive read was that Ozzy was going through a bad patch with Thelma and his divorce was round the corner.So the dates were cancelled because of that rather then Ozzy being physicaly exhausted ?..I don't know when that piece of film was put together when they show the model of the stage set up..I was looking at the dates for the European tour over at TDTMD and i noticed that one of the dates is missing 30th October '81 Brussels Belgium.They didn't headline this tour they supported Saxon.How many shows did they do on that leg ?
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

cableguyxx wrote:Dean, I think G.I. meant in the UK. I'm almost positive that the UK was the equivalent to a musical warm up for the US launch in Dec. 81. That stage production was huge, and judging by the video footage of them from all of the US local TV stations in Los Angeles, I would guess that they were just getting things together with that stage set, when they opened the tour at the Cow Palace in San Fransisco, CA. In fact, I'm almost positive that Rudy Sarzo makes reference in his book to how nervous they were that first show in S.F. because of the circus like atmosphere relating to the stage and production involved, as opposed to just going on and playing.

Thats just a guess though. I didn't get to see the Diary tour at all.
Oh, Okay..My bad. Sorry 'bout that. :)
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

www.cats-eyeesp.com
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

cableguyxx wrote:I wish I knew the amount of shows, but I have no clue. There use to be a tour date section on ozzy.com, but I can't seem to find it now. I had read that the UK tour was canceled due to physical and mental exhaustion, and that Ozzy had been briefly institutionalized. Had he not, possibly he would have used the Diary stage set then? I've no idea when they did that shoot with the miniature stage set.
They use to be a good detailed history of concert dates over at the now defunct Ozzyhead.com has anyone saved that file so it could be used here ?
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

cableguyxx wrote: I had read that the UK tour was canceled due to physical and mental exhaustion, and that Ozzy had been briefly institutionalized.
Yeah that's partly true, I've got the press cutting somewhere, but I'm not sure about been institutionalised though. I had tickets for the Leeds gig midway through the winter Diary '81 tour, and was well pissed off when it got cancelled and then I heard the band were touring the US so soon after shitting on us UK fans. But enough of my moaning, wasn't this the first tour when Ozzy ditched the tassles and started wearing the chain mail and eyeliner. Throughout the 70's and upto summer '81 Ozzy had always wore the tassled tops which were his trademark, then late '81 he didtched them and starts waering the eye make-up looking like some tart, I remember at the time thinking his new image was terrible.
Fozzy41
Madman

Re: Diary stage set question ?

Post by Fozzy41 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I was reading an article and i got the feeling that the Ozzy stage show for the Diary 81 UK tour, ( Castles gothic arches etc) was not used in the UK.The first time this was used was when they toured with the Pete Way,Brad Gillis line up in late '82.Did anyone here go to see any of the Diary UK shows with RR ??
Shaun, when I went to see Ozzy in Birmingham in July I got talking to an Ozzy fanatic in one of the pubs who'd followed him since mid 70's, I was curious about the UK Diary Tour like you, and was asking him questions about it. He said he saw the band in Bristol on that tour, and no special stage effects were used, just basic lighting.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

cableguyxx wrote:That must have been an awesome experience, Dean.
Yeah it was. The Blizzard show too. I posted my rememberences and ticket stubs from both shows somewhere on the board some time last year.

Ahhh, the good ol' days. :)

www.cats-eyeesp.com
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

cableguyxx wrote:I wish I knew the amount of shows, but I have no clue. There use to be a tour date section on ozzy.com, but I can't seem to find it now.
Check out www.sabbathlive.com It has the full Sabbath related tour dates for past and present members, both solo and as part of Sabbath.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Hey Fozzy, thanks, those lists have a lot of interesting extra credit info :D That main page about made me go cross eyed though :shock:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Fozzy41 wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:I wish I knew the amount of shows, but I have no clue. There use to be a tour date section on ozzy.com, but I can't seem to find it now.
Check out www.sabbathlive.com It has the full Sabbath related tour dates for past and present members, both solo and as part of Sabbath.
Thanks for posting that link up Fozz but alas that has dates missing aswell.1981 Europe tour and a few dates from the 1980 UK tour.