June '87 Guitar World strange caption

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

June '87 Guitar World strange caption

Post by hansolo »

I didn't know Randy was 17 when he recorded BOO at Ridge Farm...
Attachments
1rrrrrrrrr.JPG
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: June '87 Guitar World strange caption

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Guitar World has gotten to be as good as Gibson on quality control.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

It was in Guitar world under the article 'Super mom' which looked like Deloris supplied the photos. It was probably an honest mistake. I just was pointing out the mistake.
Attachments
011rrrrrr.JPG
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I still have this issue! It has some cool George Lynch technical pointers in it too!
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

It could of easily been a photo error and the wrong photo was used with the caption.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Yeah I have 2 Copies of that Issue,Funny story about a picture in that magazine.The picture of Dee holding a picture of Randy drawn by a fan,its a Very good picture too by the way.Anyhow when I was like 16 or 17 my band went to a local studio to record & the engineer/producer of that studios name was Eddie Tommeko. He was the one who drew that wonderful picture.He said when that issue came out he got like 20 copies to give/show everyone.I didnt believe him at 1st this was 1996 & he said he spent months of his senior year in High School art class working on that picture & after graduation him & a buddy drove to LA from Cleveland.Now he said that after driving there & visiting Musconia that Mrs.Rhoads was So taken aback by the picture & the fact that they drove 2500 miles to give it to her that she let them stay the night at their home since they were so far from home & sleeping in their Van... He also said that she made a Very good Meatloaf for dinner too. Now..I didnt know if I believed that whole story but then he proceeded to go in this little File Cabinet & pulled out a little box & in it was one of Randys buisiness cards like in Tribute but this one had the Phone number on it,I was Like HOLY SHIT!!! but still not fully Convinced.Then he pulled out a stack of Pictures that had to be at least 10 yrs old at the time,they were pics of him & Mrs. Rhoads.I dont remember all of them but I do remember there was one of him w/Randys Harmony Rocket Guitar either way it was Really Cool to me because Me & one other friends were the only ones I really knew in my age bracket that Knew RR yet Worshiped & Collected all the Bootlegs & Videos ect..ect..This was before the Internet was in every house.And a few years later on a RR Fansite I saw that picture of Mrs.Rhoads holding that picture & it had a caption reading "Mrs.Rhoads w/a piece of Randy Rhoads FanArt (unknown artist)" and thought Man I know that guy & its a shame he wasnt credited for that piece because its probably in the top 5 Best RR drawings Ive seen in all the years & w/the 100s ive seen on the internet its still one of the best.I did see it on a shelf in the background of an interview or a picture from Muscionia a year or two ago
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

DMRX wrote: its a shame he wasnt credited for that piece because its probably in the top 5 Best RR drawings Ive seen in all the years & w/the 100s ive seen on the internet its still one of the best.I did see it on a shelf in the background of an interview or a picture from Muscionia a year or two ago
Cool that you know the guy, what a great story. Yeah it's too bad he didn't get name recognition but it's still super cool nonetheless.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Hers a pic I found of it By Eddie Tommecko
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

One of my FAVORITES!!! Randy when he WAS 17
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

god damn did he look feminine :shock:
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

DMRX wrote:One of my FAVORITES!!! Randy when he WAS 17

Where was randy playing in the photo ?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That was the 'English Disco' days with Smokey... Here's some background on that era on the Sunset Strip. Randy and Kelly Garni were in that band - Kelly's got a nice bit on it in his book.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

eah,Paul's right on w/his estimation of the era/time period.this was shared by Kelly Garni about 5 years ago...Yeah Randys wearing eyeliner long assed pinky nail & did anyone else notice that his shirt says Randy?? I just Loved this picture as it was never officially published ,unless its in KG's book?? I still havent gotten it yet.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

I know this may be a little far fetched but is their a color version of this pic ?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

randy will never die wrote:I know this may be a little far fetched but is their a color version of this pic ?
Geez, why not just ask for the video? :lol: :D :o :) :x :(