Pick or no Pick?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RhoadsFan

Pick or no Pick?

Post by RhoadsFan »

Im wondering if anyone can confirm wether or not Randy used a pick. Ive seen like every single video of him playing and squint to see (what looks like) he is not using any pick. I know that when I first started guitar, I didnt use a pick, and dont to this day, because I have very sweaty fingers and picks always slip out of my grip, and anyways ive come a custumed to picking with my nail even though it hurts when you play for a long time :cry: . And also, if Randy didnt use a pick, do you think it was for a similar reason? so how many of you guys use picks or dont use picks? Im usually hounded for not using them because picking is so common. Ive been told several times, that picking is more effecient way for tremelo picking and alternate picking, but I think that if I can back up my no pick style with Randy, it would help me defend myself against all the pickers out there who doubt people who dont use a pick like myself. thanks for the time and any tips are welcome :)
“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.â€Â
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

randy used a fender medium "351" style pick. he hounded me to use a pick. like you i found it very uncomfortable and 'unnatural.' i eventually learned to use one and would encourage you to also.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I use a pick.. :) You can modify your current pick by carfing in it with a knife, to make it less slippery, but there are some less slippery picks on the market too, just try some out in a music store..
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I use a pick, from the start it always felt very natural for me.
But I'm a bit jealous to people who can play fast lines without a pick. Like Classical players.
Although I use a pick, I also use a technique that's called 'hybrid' picking, it's a combination of using a pick but also the middle and ringfinger of the right hand. It's very useful when playing clean chord figures. Play bass notes with the pick and picking higher strings with the two fingers.

When playing electric Randy used a pick. But I don't think he used a pick when playing classical. Just the thumb and thee fingers I guess.
Playing with your nails can be a good way to distinguish yourself from other players. :wink: It's also not impossible to do alternate/tremelo picking with one finger nail. I think the thumbnail (if long enough) can be a good alternative 'pick' to do these things as well. :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i use both, a pick for electric guitar and fingers/nails when playing classical. I dont really like playing an electric guitar or steel string acoustic with my nails cos it feels uncomfortable and can damage your nails.

if you want to play with your nails theres nothing wrong with that but you'll have to accept that it will inhibit your speed somewhat. If you do i recommend you get some protective varnish stuff for your nails it will stop them getting nicks. Also you should try filing your nail different shapes to remove discomfort. I had a lot of pain when i had my nail sharp (like almost triangular in shape). Try having a blunter tip and a more flat/rounded shape, it worked for me anyway.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Alex wrote:If you need some inspiration, check out Mike Oldfield. He is a very accomplished player, and he uses finger picking almost exclusively on the electric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fa61BROHAI
I can play Tubular Bells on my guitar without a pick, or my right hand lol!!

Me and my dad are fans of both Mike and Terry Oldfield.

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

thanks for the suggestions. I have a question about playing with a pick though. How do you tap when using a pick? I find that since I play with my fingers on electric, I can switch to tapping very easily, and when I try with a pick I always seem to have difficulty.
“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.â€Â
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RhoadsFan wrote:thanks for the suggestions. I have a question about playing with a pick though. How do you tap when using a pick? I find that since I play with my fingers on electric, I can switch to tapping very easily, and when I try with a pick I always seem to have difficulty.
i just hold the pick with index and thumb and tap with the midle finger, but it gets more complicated if you start tapping with extra fingers.

anyways i hardly ever tap with my finger now cos i have long nails and its harder to tap now, instead i use the side of the pick ala rhoads.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

The only time I saw Randy tap using his pick was during the solo in I Don't Know. All the other times he was clearly using his middle finger. I don't know why people keep claiming that it was his pick when you can see in any picture he's clearly not doing that.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Skully wrote:The only time I saw Randy tap using his pick was during the solo in I Don't Know. All the other times he was clearly using his middle finger. I don't know why people keep claiming that it was his pick when you can see in any picture he's clearly not doing that.
I think this is miss leading with the original question with Randy using his pick well tucked in between his thumb -forefinger..Tapping on could be easily used with or with out a pick.I've seen picks of Randy with his pick in his mouth while tapping on ..so i would go for him not using a pick for that reason ??? questions on a stamped address envelope ... :wink:
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Skully wrote:The only time I saw Randy tap using his pick was during the solo in I Don't Know. All the other times he was clearly using his middle finger. I don't know why people keep claiming that it was his pick when you can see in any picture he's clearly not doing that.
I think this is miss leading with the original question with Randy using his pick well tucked in between his thumb -forefinger..Tapping on could be easily used with or with out a pick.I've seen picks of Randy with his pick in his mouth while tapping on ..so i would go for him not using a pick for that reason ??? questions on a stamped address envelope ... :wink:
i know randy didn't use his pick all the time, although i wonder why he didn't? I find using a pick gives extra definition to the tapped notes. I spose he used the pick on i dont know cos he was bending the string so it'd be hard to strike the string without hitting the others using a finger.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Before I had heard Jimi Hendrix or Randy Rhoads my guitar hero was Wes Montgomery. He played with his thumb. Fast as lightning with more imagination than there are stars in the universe. Check him out...He used no pedals but still sounded tones that had many colors.

frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

also, jeff beck is pretty incredible with his thumb. alas, i'm no jeff beck!