Questions.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

lil_miz_rhoads
Cool Member

Questions.

Post by lil_miz_rhoads »

What is the difference between Randy Rhoads and other guitar players? It confuses me or do i even make sense :shock: and how do you read the music when you play a guitar. At the age of ten i believe that it is normal to want to play guitar like randy. :D
My life is a Black abyss...
XXMisunderstoodXX
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

At the age of 21 I believe it is normal too.

The thing that really sticks out in my mind is how dedicated he was. I've never heard of another guitarist so dedicated to practicing and studying his instrument like Randy, even when he was already at the top.

Another thing is how perfectly he could mix metal, blues, and classical into his songwriting. Songs like Mr. Crowley, Diary, Believer, etc.

There's too many things to name as to what makes him so much greater then other guitarists. But I'll shut up and let someone else have a turn.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd say the difference between Randy and other guitar players back then was his dedication to being a musician as well as a guitar player.

These days I think that a lot of guitar players have the same level of dedication to being a musician as Randy had back then. Randy made it cool for metalheads to study music and be educated.

As for how to read music when playing guitar, I'd suggest finding a teacher who uses the Mel Bay books to get you started with music reading. Rudy Sarzo says that Randy would promise to teach his students what they wanted to play (like Eruption) if they'd learn the theory that he wanted them to learn.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

cableguyxx wrote:It's just my opinion, but I think many guitarists, Randy included, project their personalities through their playing. I believe Randy put his soul into his playing, and that is in my opinion, what makes him stand out from others. It wasn't just how he picked, or the notes he chose, it was his emotions running through those fingers 8) Randy the person, comes through in the music, to me anyways. He was the complete package; he had the knowledge, the skills and the soul.
well put.
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

cableguyxx wrote:It's just my opinion, but I think many guitarists, Randy included, project their personalities through their playing. I believe Randy put his soul into his playing, and that is in my opinion, what makes him stand out from others. It wasn't just how he picked, or the notes he chose, it was his emotions running through those fingers 8) Randy the person, comes through in the music, to me anyways. He was the complete package; he had the knowledge, the skills and the soul.
EXACTLY !!!! And as far as reading music goes I think it's much easier for a beginner to learn to play by TAB first, and then with the help of a teacher learn to read notes IMO.
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It's easier to learn by tab first, but that makes it more difficult to learn standard notation later. In my opinion you should learn the standard notation first and learn all the notes on the neck as soon as possible.

Then you'll have a good foundation to build upon. It's always easier to use shortcuts like tab, but later in life it might cause regrets.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ken01fan wrote:And as far as reading music goes I think it's much easier for a beginner to learn to play by TAB first, and then with the help of a teacher learn to read notes IMO.
Learn to use you ears as quick as possible, that's the most important thing. (imo)
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

You can learn how to walk quicker than it takes to learn how to play the guitar.

Tabs, notation or by ear---you shall stumble for years before you find balance (tone is even tougher).

Myself---been at since 1962. Tuning is always work. Because every day the guitar sounds different. And, so should you!