Randy & Pachelbel

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Randy & Pachelbel

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

If you listen to Goodbye To Romance you might hear a familiar chord progression used from the 1790's. It's Pachelbel Canon in D. Wow! It's everywhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Compare them:

Pachelbel: D major (tonic), A major (dominant), B minor (tonic parallel or submediant â€â€
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I can sort of hear it. I remember hearing that Randy was really into Pachelbel and Vivaldi etc...
It sounds like he took Canon and just tweaked it a bit.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I think this is no concidence really.
Ozzy always talked about ´Goodby to Romance´ as his ´Beatles´ song.
Thnx for the clip!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

the four seasons rock, ive seen some great heavy metal versions of canon in D look out for them on youtube 8)
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Have you ever seen the guys of Children of Bodom doing Vivaldi's Summer? Oh my, it's nuts. :shock: Vivaldi is amazing.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Randy Rhoads was a harmonic combination of a (plugged-up) Nicole Paganini, Pachelbel and shades of Maestro Bach.

Image[/b]
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Dude, Where Did You Get That?

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Cool excerpts. Where did you find those? I've never seen it written down so concisely or eloquently...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Re: Dude, Where Did You Get That?

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:Cool excerpts. Where did you find those? I've never seen it written down so concisely or eloquently...
Those excerpts are from a book titled: "Rockin' the Classics and Classicizin' the Rock: A Selectively Annotated Discography:0738837547:DUXBURY JANELL R.".

Do a Title Search, or ISDN search "0738837547" to find a hard copy.

Your right about "concisely" or "eloguently". I try to describe the music I hear now and than, yet, it confuses some people. There are probably more classical themes "hidden" in Randy's music for sure. Good luck on hearing and describing them.

Ray
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

cableguyxx wrote:that video was entertaining, thanks.

Regarding Diary Of A Madman: surprised this wasn't mentioned in that book. From the Diary of a Madman wikipedia entry:
Guitarist Randy Rhoads, was taking classical guitar lessons while on the "Blizzard of Oz" tour. The opening acoustic riff is simply a variation on Cuban composer Leo Brouwer's Etude #6.
:lol:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
AlienSatch

Post by AlienSatch »

Very Cool to all you guys on this thread, BRAVO BRAVO !!!

:D
Randy Rhoads Rules.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Six_Strung_Out wrote:Randy Rhoads was a harmonic combination of a (plugged-up) Nicole Paganini, Pachelbel and shades of Maestro Bach.
Where do you hear any Paganini in Randy ? :shock:
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Six_Strung_Out wrote:Randy Rhoads was a harmonic combination of a (plugged-up) Nicole Paganini, Pachelbel and shades of Maestro Bach.
Where do you hear any Paganini in Randy ? :shock:
It is not so much related to "hearing", it is more of the reputations of those two string players and the times they performed in.

To save me some typing, I copied and pasted a few paragraphs about Paganini off of Wikipedia. Prior to the Internet I had read many hard cover books about Paganini (I wish I had those books in hand right now).

Paganini did play the guitar besides being a supreme violinist.

Paganini developed the genre of concert variations for solo violin, characteristically taking a simple, apparently naïve theme, and alternating lyrical variations with a ruminative, improvisatory character that depended for effect on the warmth of his phrasing, with bravura extravagances that left his audiences gasping. Randy Rhoads recordings (live concerts in particular) are still enthralling listeners to this very day.

Paganini was capable of playing three octaves across four strings in a hand span, a seemingly impossible feat even by today's standards. His fingering techniques included double-stops, parallel octaves (and tenths), and left-hand pizzicato, which are now routine exercises for aspiring violinists. Aspiring electric guitarists today use Randy’s many lead guitar techniques to provide a starting point for their own performance evolution.

Eugène Ysaÿe once criticized that the accompaniment to Paganini's music was too "guitar like", lacking any character of polyphonism. Sometimes a Randy Rhoads guitar solo sounds like a violin.

In performance Paganini enjoyed playing tricks, like tuning one of his strings a semitone high, or playing the majority of a piece on one string after breaking the other three. He astounded audiences with techniques that included harmonics, double stops, pizzicato with the left as well as the right hand, and near-impossible fingerings and bowings. Randy did not overdo his instrument tricks. But he had more rabbits left in his magic guitar hat to pull out if needed. Who knows what novel technique he might have used if he had lived longer.

Paganini was the preeminent violin virtuoso of that centuryâ€â€
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Although it is an often over used comparison, to compare an accomplished modern day rock guitarist to Paganini, I think Randy's playing is very violin like in its phrasing. And there has been some excellent comparisons by Six Strung Out too about the context they both performed in.

As for comparing the virtuosity of Pagannini I hope Randy holds up better over time than Paganini. Paganni is not performed much in concert halls now and the problem of a Paganni recital is the same one that sadly faces us guitarists...the audience is made up of people who also play the instrument.

Luckily Randy seems to reach beyond Guitarists and attract non musicians too which is a remarkable achievment.

I think one thing we as Randy Rhoads fans may take comfort in as Randy prioritised melody over EVERYTHING first and foremost in his playing. Randy was not a gratuitous Guitarist. Randy had great, great wisdom and this shows by the volume of people that are touched by Randy's music who are actually non musicians!!

By the way the video was great! That guy is a smart guy under the goofing LOL.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt