About more audio

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

About more audio

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Over at RR.TK there is a thread entitled What do you think is our best bet of new Randy footage/audio? which is interesting to me.

The main answer I wanted to give is one that would ruffle some feathers and I didn't want to start something there. Instead, I'll start it here :D

The best chance of ever hearing any new material - be it live shows, studio outtakes (either Ozzy or Quiet Riot), video footage, etc. - is to petition Delores Rhoads with a formal petition from the fans with a thousand or more signatures.
Kevin DuBrow wrote:

...he was brilliant, he was gifted, he was hilarious and a wonderful person.....he was not an angel, the way he is made out to be.....I don't think anyone is. I think it's a shame his memory is not being cultivated the way it should be, like the way.......there's certain bad things about the Jimi Hendrix estate, but at least the memory is being cultivated.

FIB MUSIC: What do you mean by that?

Kevin: Music still comes out from the Hendrix estate. There's no music that comes out, because Randy's mom has such a tight reign on things...there's no merchandise, no nothing comes out of the Randy Rhoads estate, it just sits there.

FIB MUSIC: I was wondering why there hasn't been a release of Quiet Riot I and II on cd.

Kevin: Well, I'm not trying to put any effort into releasing them, but I think they should come out, but I don't want to hassle with it.

FIB MUSIC: Does Randy's mom own the rights to those recordings?

Kevin: I could put them out if I really wanted to, because I was a participant on those.....I wasn't a hired guy and the other three are still alive, me, the bass player and the drummer, so it's a vote, the other three out-vote the non surviving member, which is his estate. Having said that, do I want to hassle with it? NO. I don't. There are other things in life to do.
For those interested, the entire interview with Kevin is here - I don't want anyone to think badly of Kevin when I take only part of an interview to present here. If you want to think badly of him, read the whole thing and post in a different thread, please.

So I believe that the main reason that none of the stuff we are hoping for is released is because Delores says no and those involved are respecting her wishes.

Now I realize that a number of members of this site are friends with the Rhoads family, so if I am way off base here, please explain. I am basing this belief on the comments above by Kevin and on comments Kelly Garni made when I sat and talked with him at his Nevada studio.

It is my understanding that Delores was against an official release of the Quiet Riot DVDs that are now circulating because she didn't think they were of professional enough quality to release. We fans are thrilled with such gems, regardless of their quality. Sure I'd love crystal clear video and 5.1 surround sound audio, but I was ecstatic just to see Randy run around the stage!

At any rate, those are my feelings on the subject and I'd love to hear feedback from everyone on this subject. I have idea regarding starting such a petition, if anyone is interested.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Unfortunately I do believe Kevin is right.....
And I think it's a combination of things why Mrs. Rhoads doesn't want any stuff to be released:

-maybe because of things Randy said about some stuff/recordings when he was still here. (for instance he didn't like the first 2 QR albums)
-maybe because of $haron changing Randy's 'contract' (*) a few days after the crash made Mrs. Rhoads paranoid forever towards the music business? (according Bob Daisley Mrs. Rhoads had to sue the Osbournes for years to get some money....)
-trying to hold up the perfect image. (new released stuff which is not 'perfect' to her can 'damnage' that image)

(and out of respect nothing is released, the Osbournes may take care of that as well......)

(*)
Bob Daisley wrote:It's very sad that his mother, Delores, had to file a lawsuit in the 80s to get what her son was owed. As she later told me 'I just ran out of money, patience and it all became too much'. Don Arden, Sharon's father, told me personally that within days of Randy's death, Sharon came into the office to change Randy's contract.
The whole interview with Bob can be found here
If true, it can maybe explain some things........
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
CHI-TOWN2

Post by CHI-TOWN2 »

a "formal petiton"?....man, leave that poor woman alone..geez
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Unfortunately I do believe Kevin is right.....
And I think it's a combination of things why Mrs. Rhoads doesn't want any stuff to be released:

-maybe because of things Randy said about some stuff/recordings when he was still here. (for instance he didn't like the first 2 QR albums)
-maybe because of $haron changing Randy's 'contract' (*) a few days after the crash made Mrs. Rhoads paranoid forever towards the music business? (according Bob Daisley Mrs. Rhoads had to sue the Osbournes for years to get some money....)
-trying to hold up the perfect image. (new released stuff which is not 'perfect' to her can 'damnage' that image)

(and out of respect nothing is released, the Osbournes may take care of that as well......)

(*)
Bob Daisley wrote:It's very sad that his mother, Delores, had to file a lawsuit in the 80s to get what her son was owed. As she later told me 'I just ran out of money, patience and it all became too much'. Don Arden, Sharon's father, told me personally that within days of Randy's death, Sharon came into the office to change Randy's contract.
The whole interview with Bob can be found here
If true, it can maybe explain some things........
i think a lot of the truth is contained in dutchs' reasoning. randy was a perfectionist and i think delores is sensitive to how he might feel. that us fans are hungry for anything we can get our hands on doesn't enter into the equation and a petition would go nowhere.

finally, other than the q.r. stuff, i really don't think his mom is sitting on an archive of material.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CHI-TOWN2 wrote:a "formal petiton"?....man, leave that poor woman alone..geez
Why? If a formal petition is present to "that poor woman" it would show her how much we care and want to further Randy's memory. Why is that a bad thing?

Some of Randy's students were asked not to share their tapes of lessons with Randy. Why would it be bad to show the world what a great teacher he was? A petition from Randy's fans asking her to consider giving her blessing to the release of this stuff would be a respectful act, in my opinion.

So again, why do you disagree with my idea CHI-TOWN2?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I find it hard to believe that if Sharon tried to change Randy's contract (to take advantage of him) and Delores had to sue her...that Delores is still on good terms with her at all. I seem to remember a recent Guitar World issue where she states that she's in regular contact with the Osbournes and things seemed pretty peachy keen.
I also find it strange that Kevin has virtually no contact with the Rhoads family at all...that's what I've heard anyway. I also heard that neither Kevin OR Kelly were invited to Randy's Rock Walk induction.

It just seems like the people who I would have thought the Rhoads family would have been friendly with aren't who I thought they'd be. There is def. something amiss here amongst all the crap that is slung between ex bandmembers and others who seem to be at a war called "Who were Randy's REAL friends."

...Did that make any sense? :lol:

Anyhoo, to answer the question...
Yeah, I'll sign whatever, if it's for the Ozzy material especially. But seriously, if Mrs. Rhoads is super against it, I want to respect her wishes. This was her son before he was anyone's friend.
CHI-TOWN2

Post by CHI-TOWN2 »

RockyRhoads wrote:
CHI-TOWN2 wrote:a "formal petiton"?....man, leave that poor woman alone..geez
Why? If a formal petition is present to "that poor woman" it would show her how much we care and want to further Randy's memory. Why is that a bad thing?

Some of Randy's students were asked not to share their tapes of lessons with Randy. Why would it be bad to show the world what a great teacher he was? A petition from Randy's fans asking her to consider giving her blessing to the release of this stuff would be a respectful act, in my opinion.

So again, why do you disagree with my idea CHI-TOWN2?
let me get this straight...you want to present a "formal" petition...to "demand" that she release material??...why stop there...have petitions to see his guitars..his bedroom..whatever!....im telling you...you guys at times cross the line with this stuff. Number 1, i dont know what material your talking about...she would only have the QR stuff, and those records have been out for years. SHE THOUGHT THE RECORDS WERE AWFUL...i found them in 1983 and i can see why Randy didnt like em..one listen to "Mama's Little Angels" was enough for me.....but back to this petiton stuff....you guys do realize the woman is almost 90 years old right??... so she would have to find distributors....produce DVD'S...packaging...cmon, use your head. Randy wasnt around long enough to do very much professional recording!!!...very simple. I tell ya...in 1984, i was in Los Angeles for a couple weeks...when i was there, i called Mrs Rhoads, told her i was an admirer of her sons work...she was delighted, invited me over to Musonia for about an hour and we had a great talk. After that hour, i thanked her very much, and was on my way..IN 23 YEARS IVE NEVER BOTHERED HER SINCE!!!.....I didnt keep calling her.....i didnt call her DEE!!!....man, keep this stuff in perspective...no wonder she hides those guitars and wont tell nobody where they are at. damn, stuff like this irritates the hell out of me!
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

hey guys, easy now. keep it polite please. chi, i don't think paul is demanding anything but at the same time i don't think delores would be persuaded by a petition, formal or otherwise. she is a very strong woman, bless her soul.
Skully wrote:I find it hard to believe that if Sharon tried to change Randy's contract (to take advantage of him) and Delores had to sue her...that Delores is still on good terms with her at all. I seem to remember a recent Guitar World issue where she states that she's in regular contact with the Osbournes and things seemed pretty peachy keen.
hi skully. good to meet you. please understand that delores is a class act. what she might say publicly is done with the utmost tact and diplomacy. i'm speculating about this situation of course. i do not know details. i do know the kind of woman that she is though. she would conduct herself in a dignified manner at all times. i never heard randy say an unkind word about anyone. this is the sort of people that they are.

frank.
CHI-TOWN2

Post by CHI-TOWN2 »

hmmm....just cant drop by Musonia and give her son a compliment and leave it at that huh.....this is all too weird for me. Later.
Last edited by CHI-TOWN2 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CHI-TOWN2 wrote:
let me get this straight...you want to present a "formal" petition...to "demand" that she release material??
Gee Whiz, did I say "demand" ? I thought I said "petition" which is defined as follows:
Merriam-Webster wrote:
1 : an earnest request : ENTREATY
2 a : a formal written request made to an official person or organized body (as a court) b : a document embodying such a formal written request
3 : something asked or requested
In case you missed this sentence in my last post, CHI-TOWN2, let me repeat it for you:
RockyRhoads wrote:A petition from Randy's fans asking her to consider giving her blessing to the release of this stuff would be a respectful act, in my opinion.
All I'm suggesting is a formally formatted request. Once again that last word is r-e-q-u-e-s-t, which is a fancy way of saying ask (which, by the way, is unrelated to the word demand). Not to mention I stated it would be a request to consider giving her blessing to those who want to release something.

Randy's mom probably has nothing to actually put on the market herself. However, a LOT of other people do and, out of respect for Mrs. Rhoads requests, they don't release the material. What I am saying is that if Mrs. Rhoads were petitioned in a professional, respectable manner, she might reconsider asking those people not to put the material out there.
Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

frank wrote:hey guys, easy now. keep it polite please. chi, i don't think paul is demanding anything but at the same time i don't think delores would be persuaded by a petition, formal or otherwise. she is a very strong woman, bless her soul.
Skully wrote:I find it hard to believe that if Sharon tried to change Randy's contract (to take advantage of him) and Delores had to sue her...that Delores is still on good terms with her at all. I seem to remember a recent Guitar World issue where she states that she's in regular contact with the Osbournes and things seemed pretty peachy keen.
hi skully. good to meet you. please understand that delores is a class act. what she might say publicly is done with the utmost tact and diplomacy. i'm speculating about this situation of course. i do not know details. i do know the kind of woman that she is though. she would conduct herself in a dignified manner at all times. i never heard randy say an unkind word about anyone. this is the sort of people that they are.

frank.
Oh, I hope I didn't come across as being disrespectful to Mrs. Rhoads. Because that wasn't my intention at all. :oops:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Skully wrote: Oh, I hope I didn't come across as being disrespectful to Mrs. Rhoads. Because that wasn't my intention at all. :oops:
You didn't come across that way at all. I think Frank was referring to the potential for a blow up between me and CHI-TOWN2.

You're post came across perfectly, in my opinion.
CHI-TOWN2

Post by CHI-TOWN2 »

the post clearly stated a FORMAL petiton....which is a legal document requesting judicial action on a law, a RIGHT, or a benefit. ....in legal parlance, it is a DEMAND. Coupled with the reference to Dubrows hostile interview quote, ....plus talks of boycotts ive seen, no telling what you guys are gonna try. this is all too much.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CHI-TOWN2 wrote:the post clearly stated a FORMAL petiton....which is a legal document requesting judicial action on a law, a RIGHT, or a benefit. ....in legal parlance, it is a DEMAND. Coupled with the reference to Dubrows hostile interview quote, ....plus talks of boycotts ive seen, no telling what you guys are gonna try. this is all too much.
Dude, please, "formal" is just a word I used to mean "organized". An "organized" request signed by thousands of fans. As opposed to a bunch of handwritten notes. I don't know why you like to take everything on these boards as something you can attack and stir up trouble.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Going away from adding fuel to a fire,

I feel that our best chance at getting new/other material would be via Bob himself. As far as I am aware he hasn't let any of his tapes go yet. What he could have is all the different rehersal versions of all the songs on 'Blizzard and Diary', if he really wanted that stuff to be heard he could leak it out to us........and we are still waiting! and how long will we have to wait, after all it is 27 years since 'Blizzard' was released.

Not only Bob, but, Tommy and Don both mention having recordings of the last months of the 'Diary' tour shows.........will they ever share those, that was 25 years ago and we are still waiting!

I believe that as soon as Ozzy is too frail to record or be wheeled out onto the stage. The Osbourne company will begin to take a good look at what they have stored away and begin to cash in on that. I think this is where we will find the things we are hoping for, I don't even feel that this is that far away now.

If they don't share with us, I wonder what the chances are of having any new Audio/video turning up in the new film? However the film does give us some hope however small.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.