Rolling Stone Magazine Article From 1982

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Rolling Stone Magazine Article From 1982

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

I am sure many of you have already read this. I had not seen it yet, so I post it here for anyone else who is a slow reader like me. It was in the Rolling Stone magazine posted on February 4, 1982.

Ozzy Osbourne may be content to cultivate his image as rock's village idiot, but when it comes to heavy metal, he's no dolt. He realizes, for example, that a massive sound isn't enough. The physics of hard rock makes velocity the coefficient of mass in determining a band's impact, and the formula that Osbourne's worked out for Diary of a Madman assures optimum use of both.

As you'd expect, the songs here are little more than riffs with a vocal line pasted on top. They're barely original yet perfectly serviceable, thanks to Osbourne's X factor, guitarist Randy Rhoads. A flashy, powerhouse performer, Rhoads is a junior-league Eddie Van Halen – bustling with chops but somewhat short on imagination. Rhoads' limitations never get in the way, though, because they keep his playing as thuddingly direct as the rest of the group's. And in the long run, that's what makes this record satisfying. Since heavy-metal music is so rigidly formalized, the trick is to maintain the conventions without being straitjacketed by them. It's a trick that Osbourne's madmen know by heart.

If only Ozzy Osbourne knew enough to keep his lyrics off the inner sleeve. It's one thing to call an album Diary of a Madman, quite another to reprint the pages. (RS 362)

J.D. CONSIDINE
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

junior EVH???... lacking imagination...

i think this is further evidence that music journalists know little about music...
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Rhoads' limitations???
What a f**king idiot.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

whaaaaaaat!!!!!
i wake up to this tripe????
and on the lords day?

who is this considine hack anyway????
"junior league eddie van halen"? randy makes evh look like a one-trick pony by comparison. not to disparage eddies playing, i'm talking comparisons here.

"since heavy metal music is so rigidly formalized, the trick is to maintain the conventions..."

i beg to differ. randy transcended the conventions of formulaic metal with brilliant compositions infused with classical influence and originality!!!!!!!!
(sh*t, i should have been a journalist).

thanks ray, this was better than a morning cuppa joe.
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

RollingStone mag. has never glamourized any heavymetal act, way back then or even now. It would REALLY be interesting to see where Randy would have gone with his music by now compared to EVH who in my opinion is no better now than he was 30 years ago[actually his playing was better then!] Randy evolved as a player within TWO albums :!:
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
Jeepman

Post by Jeepman »

ken01fan wrote:RollingStone mag. has never glamourized any heavymetal act, way back then or even now. It would REALLY be interesting to see where Randy would have gone with his music by now compared to EVH who in my opinion is no better now than he was 30 years ago[actually his playing was better then!] Randy evolved as a player within TWO albums :!:
My thoughts exactly. Randy seemed to evolve in such a short time,while EVH peaked,and never really moved forward.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Rolling Stones opinion doesn't really bother/matter to most in the hard rock or heavy metal community. As far as Randy being a junior league EVH, well...I don't know about that, I suppose the man writing the article can have his own opinion. But I will say that I've never ever heard any kid playing EVH in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. I don't hear VH covers at small club shows. I hear Randy at all these places. I let that speak for itself.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Skully wrote:But I will say that I've never ever heard any kid playing EVH in Guitar Center or Sam Ash. I don't hear VH covers at small club shows. I hear Randy at all these places. I let that speak for itself.
My experience is a bit different though. I hear a lot of Ed licks everywhere..... And very rarely Randy stuff. And if I do, it's because of myself! :P
If I say Randy Rhoads, most of the times it's Randy who??? But everybody seems to know the great Ed! 8)
Thanks to this board I meet some Randy fans, because sadly it's very hard these days to find them in real live........ For years there was really nobody I could share my Randy appreciation with. But maybe it's different in other countries?

That "junior VH" comment is typical for someone who is not really into that kind of music. For them they all sound like Hendrix or Van Halen.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

How strange indeed! :lol:
I don't know...it seems to me, at least where I live, while EVH is known, you just...don't hear him! Not on the radio, not anywhere!
And generally speaking, nearly all the kids I know that are into music know Randy. :) And not just because of me either. :lol: I think within the last 5 years or so, Randy's popularity has grown quite a bit.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Hahaha! :lol: Doesn't surprise me.

You've got to remember what magazine that came out in....Rolling Stone.

They're the bunch of idiots that said Led Zeppelin was overwrought crap and would never make it. :lol:

F##kin' Idiots!
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

bustling with chops but somewhat short on imagination
I too was taken aback by that comment. Randy Rhoads has more imagination than McDonalds has french fries.

All of EVH riffs are buttery random strands of spagetti. Randy Rhoads's solid musical runs are big fat and juicy meatballs.

Those people who write Rolling Stone articles must be eating sushie....
CHI-TOWN2

Post by CHI-TOWN2 »

funny,,i remember reading this review back in 1982 :shock: ....gotta remember, this magazine and its writers have always hated all forms of hard rock. In 1982, they just thought the J.GEILS BAND was the be all and end all....bands like the ROMANTICS....LOVERBOY...to them, that was the future of music....shows how much they know :lol:...as for Van Halen...their music to me has dated badly....i hear it now and kinda cringe...strictly power-pop 80's stuff. Randy's material. especially live, 25 years later , really shows his greatness.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Randy, limited playing.

Now I realise I was lucky they canceled the 'Diary' show in my town, I would have wasted my money :shock: .
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Skully wrote:How strange indeed! :lol:
I don't know...it seems to me, at least where I live, while EVH is known, you just...don't hear him! Not on the radio, not anywhere!
And generally speaking, nearly all the kids I know that are into music know Randy. :) And not just because of me either. :lol: I think within the last 5 years or so, Randy's popularity has grown quite a bit.
I hear Jump, Running with the Devil on a regular base here on the radio. I very, very rarely hear a Randy song on the radio. Last time, I think it was about 20 years ago when Tribute came out. I think I should move over sea then! :P

As for VH music being dated like someone else said, I don't think so.
Listen to Eruption, to me it still sounds very fresh and modern. It's a monumental piece really. And it still impresses people who never heard it. 8)
Go visit some guitar amp forums like Plexi-Palace, Metro-Amp etc, it's a lot of Ed talking there and very few Randy.......
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

some of VH stuff is dated but other songs still sound fresh today, like panama thats a good rock song for all the ages IMO :)

that aside i've started wondering lately if there are any music journalists out there that actualy have a qualification in music. Everyones entitled to their own opinion dont get me wrong, but someone who is in place as an authority figure on the subject should surely be expected to be able to back their opinions with a sound knowledge on the subject. ... just a thought :wink: