Dan's Trip to Leesburg

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Dan
Cool Member

Post by Dan »

rice_pudding wrote:
Dan wrote: Apparently these pilots would stall the plane and it would enter a flat spin that could not be recovered from. :shock:
:shock: christ, i hope that model is long discontinued
Wikipedia:
A series of fatal accidents caused many to suspect flaws in the V-tail structural design. An exhaustive study by Beech concluded that the cause was primarily the prevalent use of the Bonanza for long-distance travel in all types of weather, and that the in-flight breakups were mainly the result of excursions into extreme turbulence (as might be found in thunderstorms), not any inherent flaw in the design. Other types, such as the Cessna 210, that were similarly employed did not have the same breakup rate as the Bonanza, and a more likely explanation was that the leading edges of the stabilizers were cantilevered too far ahead of the main spars. FAA issued two Airworthiness Directives covering the V-tail. The first (AD 2002-21-13) applied only to the earliest 35, A35, and B35 models built in 1947 to 1950, and mandated a detailed inspection and repair procedure. The second (AD 94-20-04 R2) required a one-time inspection of the empennage structure, reinforced the need for correct balancing of the control surfaces and tensioning of the cables, and included the installation of a cuff securing the leading edge of the stabilizers to the fuselage skins.

Partially as a result of the negative publicity accompanying the investigation, in 1982 the V-tail Bonanza was dropped from production, though more than 6,000 V-tail models are still flying today. In general aviation circles, the epithet "fork-tailed doctor killer" became a familiar denigration of the V-tail model. The phrase plays on Luftwaffe references to the Lockheed P-38 Lightning as the "fork-tailed devil," but it mainly derides physicians' perceived lack of piloting experience (due to little spare time available) and a tendency to buy expensive high-performance planes that are a poor fit for inexperienced pilots. Many model 35 Bonanzas are still flying, and they command a premium price on the used aircraft market. A V-tail Bonanza that is in compliance with all of the pertinent Airworthiness Directives is a safe aircraft which is coveted by pilots worldwide for its performance, handling, speed and comfort.
Baking the cookies of discontent by the heat of the laundromat vent...
Jeepman

Post by Jeepman »

Interesting read and pictures. Thanks.
rockermel
Cool Member

Post by rockermel »

Wow,that was a fabulous read,Dan! How lucky were you to meet
such a kind man :D The pics left me very emotional~glad you
had such a rewarding experience~take care.
goodbye to all the best
I guess that we'll meet
we'll meet in the end
[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Melly66/1294-oz-blizzard-ran-0000.jpg[/img]
RJH

Post by RJH »

Amazing read. Thanks for the post 8)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for posting this up Dan, I imagine it was an emotional visit.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.