Did Randy play...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Did Randy play...

Post by NicDots »

Piano? I seem to remember hearing/reading that somewhere, or I could have easily made it up in my mind. I always thought someone like Randy would have learned it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

From what I've read, his mother made him learn a little piano in order to understand music theory.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

I don't know how much he knew or how good he was playing piano, I have read that some of the songs he wrote would be from the piano first and not his guitar. I am guessing some of the QR stuff that ended up being redone for Ozzy. Piano is a great instrument for learning the intervals of notes and also getting ears trained to identify chords besides of composing.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

dunno 'bout that, but I know that Zakk plays the piano.

... and mr Jake E Lee does to 8)

but it wouldn't surprise me if Randy knew some piano as well :D
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I believe he did.
Frank?
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

yes he did. recently we had a lovely visit with delores. we talked for hours with her and the subject came up. his mom taught randy to play at an early age. he wasn't a virtuoso but he could play quite well.
frank

Post by frank »

i met randy at a party my friend tony threw. he had played guitar earlier in the basement/studio with some guys and just blew me away. i'd never seen him play before although i knew who he was. everyone in burbank knew who randy rhoads was.

anyway, i decided i would ask him if i could take guitar lessons from him. this took all my courage as i was very timid (no, really) so i approached him nervously. he was sitting at the piano all by himself playing something real pretty. i remember he had a glass of white wine and i thought the whole scene looked rather elegant. i told him i really liked what i had heard and could he teach me to play guitar like that? he said "sure, give me a call and we'll work something out". he handed me a business card.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Frank, do you still talk to Tony?
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank

Post by frank »

no. we pretty much lost touch when we moved away from burbank.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Just curious. How did he know Randy?
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank

Post by frank »

they were friends in school. tony drummed so they hung out in that circle. i naver had any illusions about playing seriously, but those guys all knew one another.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

That is so cool. Thanks for the story, Frank. :)
I would have loved to hear Randy play some lovely piano music!
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Wow Frank, to have seen the rise to fame from that early on, how special is that!! :)

I spose you thought, like many back in the day, that the QR days were just a stepping stone. A million questions to bombard you with - ready?? LOL, kidding, dont worry 8)
"Five years ahead? I would love to have people know me as a guitar hero. Someday maybe put out a solo album where I can dig into a lot of instrumentals." ~~ RR ~~
frank

Post by frank »

Stevie wrote:Wow Frank, to have seen the rise to fame from that early on, how special is that!! :)

I spose you thought, like many back in the day, that the QR days were just a stepping stone. A million questions to bombard you with - ready?? LOL, kidding, dont worry 8)
no...i think at the time, like other fans and the band itself, i shared their frustration at not getting signed and promoted by a major label. they were that good.
i don't think randy considered q.r. as a stepping stone either. it was his band after all, until the day he left for england.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Knowing two instruments, like keyboards and guitar, can be like having two steady girlfriends at once. I am so happy that Randy Rhoads married his guitar.

Of course a musician of Randys caliber would know the power of piano too. All eight fingers and two thumbs can sound a note at the same time. When I hear Randys guitar playing it sounds like he is getting a sweet pure note from every digit.

Thanks for your personal memories Frank.

Ray