Did Randy play...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

frank wrote:
Stevie wrote:Wow Frank, to have seen the rise to fame from that early on, how special is that!! :)

I spose you thought, like many back in the day, that the QR days were just a stepping stone. A million questions to bombard you with - ready?? LOL, kidding, dont worry 8)
no...i think at the time, like other fans and the band itself, i shared their frustration at not getting signed and promoted by a major label. they were that good.
i don't think randy considered q.r. as a stepping stone either. it was his band after all, until the day he left for england.
I don't want to hijack the thread, so I apologize in advance, but Frank, what you mention about it being "his" band, rings so true to me. From the moment I saw Randy actually playing live with Quiet Riot ( bought that 3 song Whiskey video out of the back of Circus in 1984 or 1985),I believed that Randy had a great time playing in Quiet Riot. Yes, he grew an incredible amount during his time with Ozzy, and he knocked the QR I & II lp's in interviews, but if you watch him playing live with QR, and you can see (maybe it's just me) in most of the QR photos, that the guy was just having a ball, and was amongst friends. He seemed to be just playing a roll with Ozzy. The live QR stuff is just simply fun to watch. He seemed to really be in his element. I suspect that if the accident never occurred, we would have seen him back in QR in some form or another later down the road.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i agree.
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

frank wrote:
no...i think at the time, like other fans and the band itself, i shared their frustration at not getting signed and promoted by a major label. they were that good.
i don't think randy considered q.r. as a stepping stone either. it was his band after all, until the day he left for england.
Hmmm, fair enough then Frank. But I was talking more in hindsight. Fustration back then I could well imagine. Are you saying if he hit the big time with QR, things would've been drastically different?
"Five years ahead? I would love to have people know me as a guitar hero. Someday maybe put out a solo album where I can dig into a lot of instrumentals." ~~ RR ~~
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think he may have had possibly more fun on stage with QR. But I think being in Ozzy's band was much more musically satisfying. That's what I've gathered from what he's sad in interviews.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Yes...Quiet Riot...the ultimate fun party hard rock band.
Yes...The Blizzard of Oz...the ultimate symphonic "metal" band.

Randy accomplished both roles with much excellence in these two projects as a lead guitarist.

My feeling is that he wanted to master the classical guitar so that he could be: The Ultimate Symphonic Party Soloist. Segovia had the greatest touch on the gut string---Randy was working on composition and technique to modernize the Classical Guitar. We can only imagine what the results of that project would have been....
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I think I have seen a shot of Randy sitting at a piano a while ago!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Stevie wrote:
frank wrote:Are you saying if he hit the big time with QR, things would've been drastically different?
i guess. his life took the turns that it did but he was larger than life. he was headed for success and recognition regardless of who he was with.