Recent Robert Trujillo interview snippet about Randy Rhoads

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Recent Robert Trujillo interview snippet about Randy Rhoads

Post by Shockwave »

Recent interview with Robert Trujillo with a couple good blurbs about him re-recording the bass lines and getting to hear all the extra music after the fadeouts that we never get to hear. I also never realized that he was a huge Randy fan and got to meet him as well!
The 55-year-old musician Robert Trujillo, known for the bassist of the Grammy Award-winning heavy metal band Metallica, made his latest appearance with The Vinyl Guide and shared his thoughts on the guitar legend, Randy Rhoads.

While he talks on the issue, the interviewer said playing along with Randy Rhoads must have been a great experience. Robert Trujillo confirmed it and said he is one of his music heroes.

Robert Trujillo said the following words for Randy Rhoads:

“Yeah. I mean, in that sense, Randy is one of my heroes. I had the good fortune of seeing him play at Guitar Center before he was playing with Ozzy.

“It was in the middle of the day, they were handing him guitars, there was nobody in there except me, and I was like – I don’t know how old I was, but I was just blown away.

“And I think I remember he was playing what would’ve been ‘Diary of a Madman,’ and I said to him, ‘Wow, those are beautiful chords’ I said something like, ‘Do you like John McLaughlin?’

“I said something weird, and he was very quiet, it’s kind of like, ‘Don’t bother me right now’.

“Selfishly, I can say at least one of the rewards, if there was any reward for that – was hearing the outtake jams they were doing beyond what you heard on the original arrangements.

“All of a sudden, ‘Oh, the song goes another minute, and Randy’s still soloing?’ And there’d be some jokes, you can hear them talking…

“That was, again, selfishly, that was really like, ‘Wow, I’m hearing this, and nobody else in the world is hearing this.’ That’s one thing I do remember, and then Lemmy coming in the studio and hanging out for the first time.”

That Lemmy statement is interesting as well. I am not sure if he is saying that some of the recorded Blizzard/Diary material have Lemmy in the background by coincendence and that he showed up as they were recording one day, or if he is saying that Lemmy showed up in 2002 or whenever the re-recordings of the drums/bass took place for the re-masters.

Link/Credit:
https://www.metalcastle.net/metallicas- ... my-heroes/
leftyaxeman

Re: Recent Robert Trujillo interview snippet about Randy Rho

Post by leftyaxeman »

That was cool, thanks for posting! I'd love to hear the extended fade outs. I used to crank the volume as the fade out continued so I could hear every note.