Blizzard and Diary Remasters

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Blizzard and Diary Remasters

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I have heard clips from both of these albums and was so offended that I refuse to listen to them. I feel sorry for the new generation that is unaware of the originals (which I still have). How would you rate them? Me? 0...

0=Abominations
1=Completely Offended
2=Makes Me Cringe
3=Extreme Headache
4=Awful
5=Noise
6=Tolerable
7=Decent Renditions
8=Inventive
9=Love Them
10= Newly Perfected Masterpieces
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Honestly, I can't tell that huge of a difference, as I've not been one to really listen to the bass or the drums in most bands. The principle of the thing makes me angry though.
I do like that I can hear more of Randy though. It sounds like they upped some of his guitar parts.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I only listen to the Lee and Bob versions, what I found so confusing when I heard the re-master of 'Crazy Train' was that the drums (im a drummer) followed the way Lee played them on the master version! I might have been more interested in hearing the re-masters had they given them a new feel.

it was a pointless way to try to improve on perfection :?
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:evil: Needless to say, that remasters aren´t that much "masterful" in any sense, Randy must have rolled over in his grave did he hear them, absolute sacriledge! Ozzy ruins part of his own legacy...very stupid!
Mikel
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i dont see a huge difference the rhythm section is basically just playing the exact same stuff (like what trig said)
to be hohnest i dont have much preference both copies have their advantages the eq is better IMO on certain songs etc plus both have different stuff to offer like no bone movies you hear different guitar parts on both versions (at least as i remember it :? )

but if i had to choose id go with the originals since i like keeping stuff the way it is.
in any case the remaster was pretty much unnecessary
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I didn't mind the Blizzard version, but they ruined the Diary album.....The bass tone on "Believer" makes my skin crawl....
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

The only way I can see not being completely and totally pissed off at these masterpiece's (of shit) is if you did not grow up listening to the originals. It's impossible to listen to those two great albums, day after day for 20 years, and NOT hear what sounds like a bad karaoke album. There are a very few select parts that Randy's guitars sound a little better/more upfront, and even a few places you can hear a lick or two that were buried, but they completely ruined Mr. Crolwey by burying his solo's in the mix, Crazy Train guitar sounds very "Pro Tools" and doesn't breathe like the original. The drums are so incredibly terrible on the intro to Little Dolls, it sounds like a 6 year old playing a WalMart drum kit. Other then that, they are perfect :lol:

And I mean no offense if you did actually like the things, but to me, they are a part of my childhood. It would be like if someone went through your photographs that were taken of you as a kid, cut your friends out, and then pasted in some kid that kind of looked like the original.
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

Please remember that this isn't just about replacing the drums and bass. It's about replacing the mix of the album, if that makes any sense. They went back to the 24 track source tapes, re-recorded the B&D, and "tried" to remix the albums.

I have pretty good information that these sessions were left to the "metalhead" assistant engineers to complete. It sounds like inexperienced people engineered these recordings and mixes.

The apathy on this subject is deafening.

The other issue is the fact that younger people can't (or don't care about) the difference. That's a testament of how bad today's albums sound. Loud and squashed with no soul.

Rating = 0
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

cableguyxx wrote:The only way I can see not being completely and totally pissed off at these masterpiece's (of shit) is if you did not grow up listening to the originals. It's impossible to listen to those two great albums, day after day for 20 years, and NOT hear what sounds like a bad karaoke album. There are a very few select parts that Randy's guitars sound a little better/more upfront, and even a few places you can hear a lick or two that were buried, but they completely ruined Mr. Crolwey by burying his solo's in the mix, Crazy Train guitar sounds very "Pro Tools" and doesn't breathe like the original. The drums are so incredibly terrible on the intro to Little Dolls, it sounds like a 6 year old playing a WalMart drum kit. Other then that, they are perfect :lol:

And I mean no offense if you did actually like the things, but to me, they are a part of my childhood. It would be like if someone went through your photographs that were taken of you as a kid, cut your friends out, and then pasted in some kid that kind of looked like the original.
Well Said!!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I must say I never really liked the production on the original Blizzard of Ozz recordings. The Diary production was smoking hot though, something that def. changed in the remasters. Some of the tracks sound like they're underwater. :shock:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Skully wrote:I must say I never really liked the production on the original Blizzard of Ozz recordings. The Diary production was smoking hot though, something that def. changed in the remasters. Some of the tracks sound like they're underwater. :shock:
I fully agree, 'Diary' is by far the best sounding of those two Randy studio albums. I never get tired of that album :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Diary is by far the better, sound wise, of the originals. I remember the first time hearing Over The Mountain, and thought that guitar sound was almost indescribable. Someone once described his tone as a ballet...with chainsaw's or something like that :lol: Very accurate. Very sharp. A true "Metal" sound if there ever was one.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

The Diary tone as far as Randy is concerned was smoldering. I'll never forget hearing the part where Randy slides the side of his picking hand against the strings (that are being fretted) creating that INSANE effect that literally sounds like a billion notes and thinking "I HAVE JUST HEARD GOD." :lol: The Blizzard guitar tone always sounded very...fuzzy? I can't really think of the word.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Wow... a lots been said since i last checked this thread
cableguyxx wrote:they completely ruined Mr. Crolwey by burying his solo's in the mix, Crazy Train guitar sounds very "Pro Tools" and doesn't breathe like the original.

Totaly agree the crowley solos a way better on the original they cut through like a knife- a little thin sounding some might argue but deffineatly better.
cableguyxx wrote:The drums are so incredibly terrible on the intro to Little Dolls, it sounds like a 6 year old playing a WalMart drum kit. Other then that, they are perfect :lol:
Agreed again - but i was wondering is the original double tracked or are there just more offbeats?
zennman wrote:The other issue is the fact that younger people can't (or don't care about) the difference. That's a testament of how bad today's albums sound. Loud and squashed with no soul.
Damn right, i hate digital recording, then again i also hate must modern "musicians" :roll: ... probably best that i dont get started i can get very aggrevated :evil: :evil: :evil:
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

That old and wise saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really fits like a glove in the case of "remastering" classic albums into digital formats.

I think of food slow backed in a gas oven being reheated in a microwave. That soulful taste of the original meal is gone for sure. When you change 24 track tapes into 10001111001100 (ones and zeros) you end out with zero.