Hired Guns Doc- Netflix

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

chasmcneal

Hired Guns Doc- Netflix

Post by chasmcneal »

Hey yall. Havent posted in years, but check in and read from time to time. There is a new doc on netflix about session musicians called 'Hired Guns.' Rudy Sarzo and Brad Gillis are both featured in the doc, and there is a fairly lengthy segment on the plane crash and its aftermath for the band. Its worth a watch for any music fan, and especially Randy nuts, and I thought of this place and figured I'd share it.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Hired Guns Doc- Netflix

Post by orion_damage »

From the previews it seems like a good doc. I'll check it out this weekend.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Damn this doc is awesome! Im 33 minutes in and its that good..check it out when you guys have time..Theres also some 8mm footage of randy/ozzy era that ive never seen...theyre short clips no sound but damn its clear!thank you for posting!!!!
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

In case you dont know, i'm a french Canadian from Québec

So, this morning, i was reading my journal "journal de montreal" and i saw a picture

I was like :shock:

DIdnt expect to see a pic of Randy in my journal (it was an article about the netflix doc)

here the link

just scroll down a little until you see Randy ;)

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/lesacdechips

EDIT: the pic no longer in the front page
Last edited by fortress on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Wow - that is clear footage! don't think I have ever seen that either. :shock:
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

Tito wrote:Damn this doc is awesome! Im 33 minutes in and its that good..check it out when you guys have time..Theres also some 8mm footage of randy/ozzy era that ive never seen...theyre short clips no sound but damn its clear!thank you for posting!!!!
Wait a minute....new super 8 footage that we haven't seen? And ppl aren't going ape shit over?? Just this alone is worthy of wild fire news spreed. Christ sake, when new Elvis footage gets discovered ppl flip their wigs. And do you know how much footage/movies/documentaries/home movie footage there is of Elvis...it would make your head spin. Fans are already going nuts of the rumor of new super 8 footage that MIGHT be in the HBO doc early next year......

This is as good of news as the release of NY super 8 show from 5/81
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Hang on crash..im only saying that ive never seen it not that anybody else hasnt.it also shows new footage og the crash site crystal clear too..the doc isnt soley based on randy but his segments are worthy of checking out..
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

clashradio wrote:
Tito wrote:Damn this doc is awesome! Im 33 minutes in and its that good..check it out when you guys have time..Theres also some 8mm footage of randy/ozzy era that ive never seen...theyre short clips no sound but damn its clear!thank you for posting!!!!
Wait a minute....new super 8 footage that we haven't seen? And ppl aren't going ape shit over?? Just this alone is worthy of wild fire news spreed. Christ sake, when new Elvis footage gets discovered ppl flip their wigs. And do you know how much footage/movies/documentaries/home movie footage there is of Elvis...it would make your head spin. Fans are already going nuts of the rumor of new super 8 footage that MIGHT be in the HBO doc early next year......

This is as good of news as the release of NY super 8 show from 5/81

That footage was released several months ago. I believe there's a thread on it here as well. What you see in the doc is just about all the guy captured.

Looks like the people producing the doc cleaned it up too, looks pretty sweet! Rudy telling the story was pretty captivating. Definitely worth a watch.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

orion thats the one where at the end he videos a small plane taking off?I threw me off because of the awesome job they did cleaning it up..Thank you for the correction.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Tito wrote:orion thats the one where at the end he videos a small plane taking off?I threw me off because of the awesome job they did cleaning it up..Thank you for the correction.
Yeah that's the Vimeo link I posted below. Seeing how well they cleaned that up makes me wonder what else could be done with the stuff we currently have.

That MTV footage was new to me as well. The whole segment from that doc was really well done and conveyed what Rudy was feeling.

Here's a link to the news footage I posted in an earlier thread, the footage is pretty high quality.

https://youtu.be/JQcTP2wHzPA

Here's a link to the full concert footage of Randy you see in the Hired Gun doc:

https://vimeo.com/144074473
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Is this the film 'Hired Guns' or is this in a few parts covering different musos' who are session players etc ?
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Is this the film 'Hired Guns' or is this in a few parts covering different musos' who are session players etc ?
Its actually called "Hired Gun." My bad!

Its a documentary film about session musicians. It just happens that Rudy Sarzo and Brad Gillis are two of the 'session' guys they talk with in the film.

http://www.hiredgunthefilm.com
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It's actually a very well done documentary. I was pleasantly surprised at the parts about Randy, although I found it interesting that they didn't refer to Randy as a hired gun. Instead, they referenced him in relation to Rudy and the Quiet Riot era and then the plane crash and the subsequent hiring of Brad Gillis.

I saw this the day after seeing Billy Joel in Portland, OR. It was a very good show and I was impressed - then I saw this doc and was less impressed with Billy Joel the human being.

All in all, I'd recommend this film to anyone...
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I also saw this doc. I loved what Rudy said about Randy. Very cool stuff. Did anyone else notice how incredibly clean they got that silent super 8 footage to look? :shock:

Makes me think they could make the phoenix bros video absolutely amazing. Provided that someone ever lets us see it...
I went ahead and rode the white horse
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:
Makes me think they could make the phoenix bros video absolutely amazing. Provided that someone ever lets us see it...
Omg like fuckin hd