Dissing Randy?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy Magic wrote:
So Kevin wanted to capitalize and changed the name back to Quiet Riot - he may even have asked permission of Randy and Rudy.
No, he did not ask Randy for "permission" to use the QR name. In fact, in the beginning of his version of QR, Kevin was taking complete credit for forming QR in 1975. Not too cool, IMHO.

Gary
Interseting. In Rudy's book he says Kevin contacted both of Rudy and Randy to ask if he could use the name...
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

a good friend and trusted source has this to say...
taken from an interview in the u.k. based metal forces magazine circa 1983:

MF: The first incarnation of Quiet Riot (actually the 2nd) involved Kevin, the late Randy Rhoads on guitar, Rudy Sarzo on bass and Drew Forsyth on drums. How did the band originally come together?

Kevin: "It was started in 1975 by myself and Randy (and bassist Kelly Garni). He was looking for a singer to..ha! ha!..pick up girls! He wasn't really interested in what I sounded like! Anyway, we put the group together and the name was given to us by Rick Parfitt of Status Quo. As you know, we released a couple of albums that came out in Japan. That's basically how the group got together."

As for Kevin trying to reclaim the Quiet Riot name, after he had done demos as "Dubrow" in 1982, Rudy has said in his book that Kevin approached Randy about using the name ( I don't think he'd lie about that ) and also in the "Randy Rhoads: A Life" book, it mentions it (through interviews with Dubrow and Garni).
Sure, it didn't hurt that Ozzy fans had heard in press while Randy was still alive that QR had been Randys previous band, and we all bought the record for that tie, as well as Rudys involvement initially. :wink:
I quote the text:

Randy was also bothered by mixed feelings regarding a pleasant development in Kevin Dubrows life. Kevin had been fronting his own "Dubrow" band for several years and fighting seemingly impossible odds at getting a record deal. Finally, the CBS-administered Pasha Records, a boutique label run by producer Spencer Proffer had offered Dubrow a deal. Randy was, of course, thrilled for Kevin and agreed to play on a track, "Thunderbird", which Kevin had written about Randy when he had left to take the Ozzy gig. But when Kevin mentioned reclaiming the name "Quiet Riot", Randy became annoyed. For Randy, the name Quiet Riot had special meaning. He had poured his heart and soul into that band, and felt that he had a certain claim to the moniker. It was not that he begrudged Kevin anything, but he simply couldn't fathom a band called Quiet Riot featuring somebody beside himself playing guitar.
Besides, Randy still felt as if he and Kevin would one day play together again, and that's when the name 'Quiet Riot' would be resurrected. But Kevin, in all honesty, could not see that ever happening. It was left a bit of a sore point.
sato sam

Post by sato sam »

dogfall wrote:Kevin is getting what he wants out of all of this! and that is attention. Kevin is trying to sell CDs.
*LOL* Who is this guy??!!

hey rocky, this guy's good for a laugh though no?
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

It's hard to laugh when you have your nose up someones a$$?
LoVe Life
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sato sam wrote:hey rocky, this guy's good for a laugh though no?
Y'know, I can laugh at just about anyone...*thinking*... actually, other than Jesus Christ, I think I do laugh at just about everybody :lol:

I don't know if Kevin is specifically looking for attention in regards to this issue, but we do seem to be giving him attention. It's all good though, in the process of discussion we can all learn a thing or two.

Thanks for the info, Frank, I had never heard of Randy reacting like that to Kevin's use of the name. Had Randy lived and still been with Ozzy in '83, he'd probably have been heartbroken to see "his" band go on to such a lofty place in the metal world without him at the helm.
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

sato sam wrote:
dogfall wrote:Kevin is getting what he wants out of all of this! and that is attention. Kevin is trying to sell CDs.

The thing about phpBB is that the code is open source to anyone who may be talented enough or have time to be an a$$...meaning you can't hide..so many ways of seeing IP's and matching them up with IP's from other PHP forums. If Ultimate Rhoads would like to be different from "other forums"

I suggest using VBulletin because of security issues. Hacking is a naughty thing in most cases but if you piss the wrong person off that knows PHP or phpbb you could have problems . LOL Dude don't make me call you out I could be an a$$ and make things disapear just like a magic show but I will not lower myself to jealousy .

Again if you would like this community to be an Ultimate Rhoads Forum.. I would switch to a safer software better than what "other boards " are using . Hint Hint
http://www.vbulletin.com/

Steve
PHP GURU
:D
LoVe Life
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

dogfall wrote:
sato sam wrote:

The thing about phpBB is that the code is open source to anyone who may be talented enough or have time to be an a$$...meaning you can't hide..so many ways of seeing IP's and matching them up with IP's from other PHP forums. If Ultimate Rhoads would like to be different from "other forums"

I suggest using VBulletin because of security issues. Hacking is a naughty thing in most cases but if you piss the wrong person off that knows PHP or phpbb you could have problems . LOL Dude don't make me call you out I could be an a$$ and make things disapear just like a magic show but I will not lower myself to jealousy .

Again if you would like this community to be an Ultimate Rhoads Forum.. I would switch to a safer software better than what "other boards " are using . Hint Hint
http://www.vbulletin.com/

Steve
PHP GURU
:D
I guess its great that you aint got a clue what your talking about son. What you going try do, an SQL injection hey? You can't actually hit the database directly from the phpbb. You would need to do an SQL injection and as you cant connect directly to it without the IP etc, its not happening is it you so called PHP Guru 8)
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

good to see you know some things about it. I'm not going to do anything so please don't take that wrong. All you need is the login and password for the SQL to cause havok and thats not hard to do or just make a quick untraceable trip to the library and connect to the server but anyway.

Injections are for kids..Son its always Drama :oops:
server213-171-218-171.livedns.org.uk
LoVe Life
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So we're having a nice little discussion about Kevin DuBrow and all of a sudden there are threats to attack someone else's site?

Sato Sam disagreed with something you said dogfall, so what? I disagreed with your request to not make comments until you contacted Kevin and you didn't get mad at me, so why get mad at him?

I looked back through his posts and, yes, he got in a pissing match with someone a few months back, but then he left and returned. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt and treat them with respect. Isn't that what we've all agreed to here?

I've been in pissing matches with a number of folks here, right Ian :wink: ... but we always deal with things, work them out and move along.

So let's stop attacking one another and get the focus back to our opinions of Kevin DuBrow... cool?
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

Well sure no problem . Im not making threats.
LoVe Life
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alrighty then, let's talk about Kevin's new hair... personally, I think it is a great feature for making fun...
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

In Rudy's book he says Kevin contacted both of Rudy and Randy to ask if he could use the name...
Well, the key word I was responding to was "permission"

Gary
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

RockyRhoads wrote:First of all, not everyone hates Kevin. I find him entertaining in an annoying sort of way.
i find kevin entertaining also. i think if i were to take his antics seriously, words other than entertaining would come to mind. words like sinister or devious but i can't see him that way because i don't look at him as being a malicious person. in his goofy clumsy way (not intentional i'm sure!) he is rather comedic.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

RockyRhoads wrote:Alrighty then, let's talk about Kevin's new hair... personally, I think it is a great feature for making fun...
Funny you should mention it, Paul. I was gonna have my hair done like his!! :lol:
And don't even go there, Frank! :wink:
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sarab wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote:Alrighty then, let's talk about Kevin's new hair... personally, I think it is a great feature for making fun...
Funny you should mention it, Paul. I was gonna have my hair done like his!! :lol:
And don't even go there, Frank! :wink:
Well, it'd be better than the original hair, I suppose. At least on a chick.