How Many dates ..??? 1981 UK tour ???

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

How Many dates ..??? 1981 UK tour ???

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

How many dates did Ozzy play during the Diary tour in the UK 1981 ?.I know that he did the HMH festival in August but i've never really heard which gigs Ozzy actually played as he only did a couple then cancelled the rest of the UK tour.Which bootlegs are available from this time, with definiate dates ??
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

This should be able to answer your question.
The Day the Music Died wrote:
Diary of a Madman - U.K. 1981 with Girl

November 29th - Colston Hall, Bristol, England

November 30th - Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, Wales

December 1st - DeMonfort Hall, Leicester, England - Cancelled

December 2nd - Royal Court, Liverpool, England

December 4th - Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland - Cancelled

December 5th - Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - Cancelled

December 6th - City Hall, Newcastle, England - Cancelled

December 7th - City Hall, Newcastle, England - Cancelled

December 18th - Apollo Theatre, Manchester, England - Cancelled

December 19th - Queens Hall, Leeds, England - Cancelled

December 22nd - Bingley Hall, Stafford, England - Cancelled

December 23rd - DeMonfort Hall, Leicester, England - Rescheduled date - Cancelled

December 24th - Hammersmith Odeon, London - Cancelled

December 26th - Hammersmith Odeon, London - Cancelled

James UK

Post by James UK »

Just wondering if anyone knows which venue in Nottingham Randy and Ozzy played at during the first UK Blizzard tour on Nov 8th 1980? Thanks.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

I have my doubts this concert actually took place, but I coild be wrong. I've got various news clippings advertising the 1980 U.K. Tour as well as the extra dates added, and there's no mention of Nottingham on Nov 8th. I have seen it in the list of gigs that the band played in 1980 but there's no mention of it in any press cuttings advertising the tour. Anyone got any more info? With regard GUITARIDOLS original question, I 'm sure the list taken from "The Day the Music Died" is correct. I had tickets for the Leeds concert, and was really pissed off when it was cancelled due to Ozzy"acute nervous exhaustion" whatever that bollocks means, especially when the band started their U.S. Tour a few weeks later.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Fozzy41 wrote:I have my doubts this concert actually took place, but I coild be wrong. I've got various news clippings advertising the 1980 U.K. Tour as well as the extra dates added, and there's no mention of Nottingham on Nov 8th. I have seen it in the list of gigs that the band played in 1980 but there's no mention of it in any press cuttings advertising the tour. Anyone got any more info? With regard GUITARIDOLS original question, I 'm sure the list taken from "The Day the Music Died" is correct. I had tickets for the Leeds concert, and was really pissed off when it was cancelled due to Ozzy"acute nervous exhaustion" whatever that bollocks means, especially when the band started their U.S. Tour a few weeks later.
I think you might be right, I have heard that a few shows in Britain in 1980 were arranged so fast that they didn't have time to advertise. I wonder if Nottingham 1980 might be one of those? if it did take place it is the last show that Bob and Lee played with Randy. MY guess for the venue would be the Royal Theatre as the concert hall was built after 1980, and by the time the band would have hit Nottingham they were causing a stir. This might have meant that Ozzy had a chance to sell out the (very grand) Notts Theatre Royal.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think it was 16 extra dates added to the tour and if Nottingham was one of them surely it would of been one of those shows.They advertised about a month/three weeks before the extra dates happened..It would be on the tour intinery all the dates regardless of advertising are in them.Does anybody have such an item Tour itinery for the UK Blizzard 1980 tour.
James UK

Post by James UK »

Thanks for the info everyone. I first heard of Randy in mid-1982 so unfortunately never got to see him play :( . Living in Nottm however it's always interested me that he once 'may have' come and played here!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I think it was 16 extra dates added to the tour and if Nottingham was one of them surely it would of been one of those shows.They advertised about a month/three weeks before the extra dates happened..It would be on the tour intinery all the dates regardless of advertising are in them.Does anybody have such an item Tour itinery for the UK Blizzard 1980 tour.
The interesting thing about that Nottingham show is that between that gig and the one before, they have a gap of about 8 days! which to me suggests that it could have been arraged very fast indeed. :?
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Trigger wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I think it was 16 extra dates added to the tour and if Nottingham was one of them surely it would of been one of those shows.They advertised about a month/three weeks before the extra dates happened..It would be on the tour intinery all the dates regardless of advertising are in them.Does anybody have such an item Tour itinery for the UK Blizzard 1980 tour.
The interesting thing about that Nottingham show is that between that gig and the one before, they have a gap of about 8 days! which to me suggests that it could have been arraged very fast indeed. :?
Ian so are you saying that the tour came to a stop for a week then the Nottingham gig happened? I very much so doubt that the crew, equipment ,tour managers drivers etc would of just sat about for a week then decided to do another date ???
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

That's what im saying! if you see the dates at which they were supposed to play, you will see a large gap before the Notts gig. To me it was either a small club gig needing only a small crew or it was a very hurried show!, but, you make a good point about the crew.
James UK

Post by James UK »

It's very interesting to know whether or not that gig ever took place because as Trigger mentioned WHICHEVER was the last date of that tour would have been the last time the original line-up played together! After all they wrote and played on the two albums and so that was the end of an era!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

James UK wrote:It's very interesting to know whether or not that gig ever took place because as Trigger mentioned WHICHEVER was the last date of that tour would have been the last time the original line-up played together! After all they wrote and played on the two albums and so that was the end of an era!!
Yeah James it was the Tommy Aldridge and Rudy Sarzo line up that returned just under a year later to play the Heavy Metal Holocaust Port Vale festival 1st August 1981.I don't think the Nottingham gig happened as i collect ticket stubs and rock memorabilia and i always ask ticket collectors if they have any ticket stubs from this gig.I have never heard theNottingham gig get mentioned.The list over at The Day the Music Died is not a complete list about 6 dates are missing.But if any one can add to this i would love to be proving wrong..