Randy and the Blues

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Randy and the Blues

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was reading a post over at .tk by someone who had spent time with some of Randy's students at Monday's memorial. They said Randy always started his students off with the blues. Apparently his opinion was that if you cannot play the blues you cannot play guitar? I wonder what his opinion of all the "shredders" who cite him as an influence would be?

Frank, what do you recall about Randy's blues playing? I know he liked Leslie West, and I believe I've read that he liked Johnny Winter as well.

For anyone wanting to learn the blues in an effort to pay tribute to Randy, Keith Wyatt has a great book/video primer on the subject, in fact it's the best introduction to blues guitar I've seen on the market (here's a sample of Keith "rockin' the blues"). I think I'll pull it out today and brush some of the rust off my blues chops... try to make Randy proud, y'know?
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Randy and the Blues

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Hey Rocky,
Great clip there! Thnx! He's doing some great bends there!
RockyRhoads wrote:Frank, what do you recall about Randy's blues playing?
Not sure if you are familiar with this: Randy Rhoads plays the blues
Sounds great imo! :D

*had to make some space to host this, it will be removed in a couple of weeks so be quick to download it. (sorry)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

randy was an awesome blues player but i remember his stressing that it was a starting point and i got the impression that he felt it was a limited art form. he turned me on to gary moore and for me, at least, the influence on randy is very apparent.