"Letters to the Rhoads family"

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

frank
Student & Friend of Randy

"Letters to the Rhoads family"

Post by frank »

dear members...this thread will be up for a limited time. this will be an opportunity to express your heartfelt thoughts and wishes to the rhoads family, delores, kathy and kelle during this twenty fifth anniversary of randys passing. the thread will be locked and the entries will then be presented to the family at the memorial. they will be hand delivered by myself with the boards blessing. i encourage you to express in words what randy means to you, how you discovered him or anything else that you would like to pass on to his loved ones. thank you, frank.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Angel Of Inspiration

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads,
Your son is the most inspiring guitar teacher I've ever known. When I was just 19 I picked up my first guitar after listening to your son play live with Ozzy on the Tribute album. I really struggled with guitar and was not the best student. For most teachers I might seem like a slow learner. Someone they would put in a group class instead of a private one-on-one lesson. I therefore had to really teach myself how to play guitar. One day I found cassette of Randy's style transcribed by Wolf Marshall and began to listen to it in my car. This was my first real private lesson 'with' Randy in some sense. I had no idea what advanced music theory that was being explained to me on the cassette but it was the first time I was excited about playing music again.

You see, I played piano when I was 10 but quit because I just didn't have the patience. In high school I played the alto saxophone for marching band. While I could play music, it never seem to come out of me. I never was inspired to write music. Randy changed all that. I began studying classical guitar in college but once again I was clearly outmatched by all of the experienced players. While everyone was playing as loud as they could to be heard I played as quietly as I could so no one could hear me. My teacher told me I had a better chance of teaching guitar than performing it because I was just not cut out to performing it yet.

Years went by and I began to think my dream of playing guitar was disappearing. While I kept playing in private I stopped pursuing it on a professional level. After years of changing jobs I finally began to take guitar more seriously. I even went so far as to begin teaching it as a profession. Students began asking me about Randy as a guitar player and I was just elated. For some reason it felt like I was telling a great story about someone from history. Luckily for me there are people like Frank who graciously publish Randy's lessons for everyone to learn from. This is what I needed to finally become a complete player. The wisdom Randy put into those lessons speaks volumes about how one is to approach the guitar from both the teacher and player point of view.

This year I was able to give something back to Randy with the "Electric Angel" artwork and poster. I hope you accept them knowing that they were done with the best of intentions. They are a reflection of the 'boy' in me. Someone who always thought of Randy as a kind of angel and extremely gifted guitar teacher.

~David
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: "LETTERS TO THE RHOADS FAMILY"

Post by siro_angel »

Dear Mrs Rhoads,

How are you, Kathy and Kelle? Hope you are all well, I am Simon, an 18 year old autistic and dyspraxic guitarist. Your son had inspired me to break boundries, to not be afraid to express indviduality, over come my dyspraxia which can make learning guitar very difficult, but I over came this with Randy as my inspiration, his life has taught me that life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away, he was and still is a beautiful human soul, and I thank you Mrs Rhoads for encouraging his gift, giving him that little push and for supporting him.

I have given Frank a poem named Brother, I have wrote to pass on to you, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have writing it.

I am sorry I could not attend the memorial it would have been lovely to see you all.

Take care

Simon Fielder
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Dear Mrs Rhoads and Family,
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the love and support that
you have given Randy towards his life in general and his musical abilities.

Growing up, I had gone to private, catholic schools. I had taken guitar lessons from a nun with a group of other kids. It was not an enjoyable experience, so I quit. I had then taken private piano lessons, which I had enjoyed for eight years until my teacher had moved.

As a young teenage girl, when I discovered Randy, his words of "Don't ease up" and being yourself were words of encouragement. Being in the catholic school system, in order to "fit in" it seemed as you had to be like everyone else. I had a hard time with that. Reading articles and seeing how different Randy was from the others, gave me even more encouragement to go ahead and be myself.

I left the catholic school system and for my last two years I was in public school, and it was the best two years of my life. I finally felt happy and comfortable with myself. I had joined the high school marching band, and while there, I never "eased up". I gave it everything I had.

As a parent of two girls, I am giving them the support and encouragement of being themself and never giving up. It seems to be working, as they are doing things that they's like to do for themselves, and not because "everyone" else is doing it.

In closing, I like to say thank you again, for allowing us, the fans, to help keep Randy's spirit and memory alive for our generation now, and for many more to come.

Sincerely,
Gina Kahrs
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads,

Your son Randy has been a source of inspiration in my life ever since I first heard his guitar playing in 1981. As a 14-year-old who had just purchased his first guitar, hearing what Randy could do with his instrument was both a source of awe and a goal for where I would someday like to be with my own playing.

Over the years I read and listened to everything related to your son that I could find. Especially interesting to me were the times that I would read about music that Randy enjoyed listening to or that was said to have inspired him. Then I would seek out that music so I could try to hear the similarity in Randy’s playing. Along the way I learned a lot about song structure and the building of pop songs.

In time, I decided that learning the theory behind the music I love would be the best way I could honor Randy’s memory. So much of what I read about him pointed to the idea that he loved music and spent as much time as he could learning about it so that he could create more of his own. That has been a major focus of my life for a long time now. I read and study everything I can about the theory of music and how music is created. Because of Randy I have taught myself to read music, learned to build chords and scales from intervals and learned to build songs based on common chord progressions in multiple styles of music. On of my favorite things to do now is to learn a new piece of music and then break it down to examine the way it was constructed.

Recently, both my 12-year-old and six-year-old son have asked me to teach them to play guitar. As I’ve read Randy say in interviews, I am learning a lot by teaching them. They come up with questions I hadn’t thought of and I see things from a different point of view. Both of my boys are very enamored with the instrument now. My six-year-old even stood in front of his kindergarten class a few weeks ago and announced that when he grows up he wants to play guitar like Randy Rhoads.

Mrs. Rhoads, you and Doug and Kathy have given us, the fans, so much of yourselves over the last twenty-five years. I thank you all for that. You are in my prayers and I ask God to fill you all with peace. Randy was a wonderful talent to his fans, but to your family he was a son and a brother. Please forgive us for 25 years of intrusion into your lives to learn more about Randy. God bless you for all that you’ve given us.

Paul Wolfe
rockermel
Cool Member

Post by rockermel »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads,
I don't really know where to begin.I am not a musician but a devoted fan of Randy's talent.Randy's music came from his heart & soul which I truly
appreciate~he had his own style & didn't change it for anybody.Thank
you for all you helped him accomplish-you are a true blessing & I'm forever grateful for your guidance & wisdom.

I am a single mom of 3 sons..my oldest has Down Syndrome so that's
a challenge on it's own.I try to stay postive each day & realize that God
has given me the gift of being a good-hearted,loving person..& he has given me the strength I never knew I had.

I cannot be at your son's memorial but will definitely be there in spirit.Every time I see a new picture or story about Randy,my heart skips a beat.He was a very
special,compassionate man~I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him
in person but feel like I have known him all my life.

In closing, I would like to send prayers & blessings to you,Kathy, & Doug.
My thoughts are with each of you wonderful people.Thank you for
taking the time to read this message.

Sincerely,
Melissa Hartley & Sons
Adrian,Missouri
goodbye to all the best
I guess that we'll meet
we'll meet in the end
[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Melly66/1294-oz-blizzard-ran-0000.jpg[/img]
metal_head6704

Post by metal_head6704 »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads and Family,

My name is Don, I have been a big fan of Randy's since the release of "Blizzard of ozz". Randy's music has brought me much enjoyment through my life. His work with both Ozzy and Quiet Riot, has meant more to me than words can say. I never had a chance to meet him in person, but I feel as though he was one of my best friends through his music. As I sit here and try to put all my feelings into this letter, the tears roll down my face. Randy touched so many people, with his increadable talent, and I'm sure even more with his heart. I can only imagine the incredable music he would have went on to create. He is truly missed around the world by millions of fans who miss him dearly. His memory and music will live on forever through the Albums and Live recordings he left behind. I tip my hat and raise my glass and toast the greatest "Musician" to have ever lived.......Heres to you Randy Rhoads........You will never be forgotin !!!!

Thanx for all the memories and the most incredable guitar playing I have ever heard !!!!

Sincerally,
Don Whipple Jr.
New York
SDBinNY

Post by SDBinNY »

Mrs. Rhoads,The Rhoads Family,and Friends.

I thank you for your time,and I believe it is beyond incredible that after all this time you still take the time from your lives and loves for us.

I could not express what Randy has inspired in me personally,for words fail me. All I can honestly say is that without his influence, I probably would not be here today.

I will say this. March 19th and December 6th,a white candle burns in my home and my guitars are silent.

I have passed Randy's work to the next generation. My daughter has even written his biography for her language arts class,by her choice,with no help from me.

May Your God Bless and Keep You,

Steve
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Mrs Delores Rhoads,
You have a place in my heart for what you have done over the years to keep your son alive in memory and spirit.Randy will always be a special person to everyone who is a fan of his music but more importantly to keep him alive for the character who was a very special person to all who met him and seen him Live in concert.The last thing that a mother wants in life is to lose a son and at such a young age.But your son was so gifted and he still shares that gift with every up and coming youngster who wants to start playing guitar.This must be a pleasent thought for you to see all the fans young and old.These people are all thinking of you and your family at this time of Randy's 25th anniversary.I wish i could be with the other fans for the anniversary but i'm with you's in spirit and i know that the day will be a total success for such a sad occasion.Love and best wishes for the future of RR Regards Shaun Young
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads

I just want to say I had the Pleasure of seeing your son 2 times in Chicago, From the First time I heard the opening track on the Blizzard album I was Blown away. There isnt a Day that goes by that I dont think of him. There has never been a musician That touched my Heart and Soul the way Randy did and probally never will again..
God Bless and Take Care.
Dave (wyldeone)
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Dear Mrs Rhoads,
If you have gotten round to reading this then I am very grateful as I'm sure you have plenty of letters around this time of year from fans of Randy. My name is Ell and unfortunately I'm too young to have witnessed Randy's playing live, however he has still been a huge inspiration on me as a guitar player and as a person. Although I did not ever have the chance to meet your son, everything i've read about him has stated how kind he was and so I have tried to become a better person because of him.

Listening to Randy's playing I am often amazed, not only by his technical ability like his awesome sounding bends, but also by his guitar tone which always sounds so alive. Thanks to Randy I have also started to listen to a wider range of music which has really opened up my mind and helped my songwriting. Anyway, i'll try not to make this much longer since i'm sure there are lots more letters just like this one for you to read.

I hope to one day be able to be at one of the memorials for Randy and I thank you for everything you have done to keep Randy's spirit alive.

Sincerly,
Ell
Last edited by Ell on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads

As I write this letter from over five thousand miles away, I think about how much one guitarist can influence someone. I sit here wondering how a guitarist can produce the happiness and joy I have felt today, yesterday, and for years gone by, while listening to them play the instrument they love. Your son was an inspiration to me, and although I was never able to see him perform in front of my eyes, I have felt something that no other guitarist has ever made me feel everytime i've heard him. Randy was an innovator, a gold mine of talent and someone who is missed by millions of musicians over the world.

Writing this on the stroke of midnight, I am able to think back through all the times i've heard Randy. When I first heard him, when I thought who was this musical inspiration I was listening to, when I took more interest in him, when I heard more and more, when I heard Diary of a Madman for the first time and so many other wonderful occasions like these. Each time I listen to a song written by Randy, it has the same originality as when I heard it the first time. Everytime I hear a new recording, concert or piece by Randy, I notice something different about it, something new, a trick i'd not heard before, a fill that impresses me or something that once again takes my breath away and reiterates why Randy was my inspiration and influence.

Today, I was able to celebrate the life of my musical hero, Randall William Rhoads, a beacon of life which has only ever been a continuing source of inspiration for me. Something I can never return.

As one of his biggest inspirations in life, I would like to thank you, for the work you have done keeping the spirit of Randy alive. By assisting your son in his quest for musical greatness, you have provided millions of fans with a variety of musical masterpieces, performed by a musician of the highest standard.

Sincerely,
Joseph Skerratt
Shadow

Letters to the RHOADS Family

Post by Shadow »

Dear Mrs. Rhoads (Randy's Mom) and Family

Thanks for bringing such a awesome & magnificent son/Randy Rhoads into this World to enchant us fans with his love of music & teachings. It saddens us all that someone so talented passed away much to soon in life but the things his/Randy has done in his enchanting life was quite vivid, bold and very rememberable with all that zeal he has: so "thanks" Mrs. Rhoads & Family for sharing such a wonderful person with us fans Worldwide your son & Classic Hard Rock/Metal music works will live on forever! God Bless and Peace be with you all.-Shadow
The legendary Randy Rhoads is an electric "Crazy Train" Guitarist/Musician to the max!
RandyFan100

Post by RandyFan100 »

Dear Mrs Rhoads,
I'm not a musician myself but being a true music fan Randy means a lot to me.
He had this thing about him, this magic, and I fell in love with his music
since the first time I ever heard him, I could tell he was playing with all his heart and soul while captivating ours.

I couldn't help it crying the other night while listening to him playing, thinking of the great legacy he left us at such a young age.

I would like to thank you for the great guitarist and the great person you gave to this world. His memory will live with us forever.

God Bless You,
Joe
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Dear Mrs Rhoads and family

I have been interested and insprired by the work of Randy for over 25 years, I am a drummer but he taught me so much about structure in writing music.

I have spent years collecting the music that he created and I can't express the excitement I feel when I discover something new. In the 25 years since we lost Randy his music still sounds as fresh as it did all those years ago. I have spent the years showing younger people his work and I have seen so many young people stunned by his talent. He was (in my opinion) a musical genius and the world is a sadder place without him. I now help run a site dedicated to Randy and we have members of all ages from all over the world. They come from countries that Randy never even visited, what greater tribute to the Rhoads family could you have than that.

How can I express how much he has meant to me for all these years? well, I don't know if I can find the correct words and phrases, I have thought about this for weeks and they still elude me! So I will say this; everyday at some point a piece of his music will come to mind and inside my head I re-play it. I only do that with the music that Randy created, this goes to show the great impression he made on me all the way over here in central Britain.

Earlier this year, with the help of Frank Santa Cruz and Kathy, I created a portrait of Randy. That was given to you on behalf of me and the website on the 19th march this year (2007). My intention was to create an image of Randy that was different to how the fans see him, with a guitar slung around him doing what he did so well. I hope that the portrait captured the young man that all of you knew and so many young people today aspire to be like.

To Delores, Kathy, Kelli, Nick, Jenna and Alisa

I send you our love and respect

Ian & Jessica
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.