Donations for March 19

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sarab
Mass Poster

Donations for March 19

Post by Sarab »

It has come to my attention that some floral arrangement should
be presented to the memorial for March 19.
For anyone able to donate, I have a paypal account.
rkahrs@cox.net
I know this is such a late notice, but even if it is a small amount,
I can still get something from us here.
We know that gardenias were Randy's favorite, and I saw a gardenia plant that can be kept instead of the usual arrangements. The cost is $99.99. If we collect more than enough, we could get two; one for Delores to have, and the other for Kathy. Just a thought. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!*The Flower Girl*

edit
If you don't have paypal, and would still like to contribute, pm me and I will give you my address. Just a thought.
Last edited by Sarab on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This is a very kind thing Sarab, I was hoping that a small doanation scheme might be started by a member here. I will speak to Joe to see if we can help you to gather up as much as you can :D .
I like the idea of something that will last and not something that will die off in a few days/weeks.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

thanks, T!
I was thinking of doing this, but time just got away from me.
Any contribution will be greatly appreciated. Just when you donate,
please leave your name (real & handle) and email address, so that I can thank you.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

meradith and i are in. the gardenias sound like a good idea.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Thanks, ya'll.
I hope the idea of the plant suits everyone.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

I would donate but im very low on money and im only just managing to have enough to get me to college and back on bus, but needless to say I will do something for Randy or i shall try...

Great idea though Sarab

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Bad news, ya'll.
Gardenia's are not in bloom at this time.
What are your thoughts on a "basket garden with a blooming plant"?
The lady said the gardenia would look like green leaves, and said it
is not very pretty.
Man, I am soooo bummed about this!
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sarab, I think it's great that you are putting in the effort to organize this endeavour, however, I want to add my 2 cents, just as a way of presenting a different point of view. I mean no disrespect to your efforts.

While I am sorry for the loss that the Rhoads family suffered 25 years ago, I am no comfortable with the idea of send gifts of any kind to them. I know that if it were my family that had lost a son, after 25 years I'd be ready to let him rest in peace.

We all love Randy Rhoads' music, but he was much more than a guitar player. He was a son, a brother and a friend. His family and friends lost much more than a "guitar player" in March of 1982. I prefer to pay my respects quietly and without fanfare..

Recently I have been thinking of Randy's brother and sister. What must it be like to have strangers contact them for 25 years to inquire about their brother who has passed? These strangers don't make contact out of interest or concern to them, just for information regarding their younger brother. It is time they have an opportuinity to let him rest in peace.

Setting up a fund for people to donate if they so choose is admirable, but sending a blanket request to "Please give what you can to show the Rhoads family the respect that Randy still holds a quarter of a century since his sad passing" is a bit much, in my opinion. Feeling obligated is not the same as giving from the heart. I do understand that it was meant as a way to inform everyone of the opportunity to get involved, but it came across as a form letter asking for money - like those letters you get at Christmas asking for help for the homeless. They are homeless all year, but at Christmas a letter comes asking for kind-hearted donations.

When RR.TK set up a fund to help out Kelly Garni, it went from a kind gesture to a project that made any members who couldn't afford to help feel guilty. Then when a DVD gift was added as a "reward", some folks donated repeatedly to get the gift and then bragged about "helping".

Kindness should come from the heart and should be done on an individual basis. If a few people want to get together and pool their money for a donation, that's cool too. I respect the idea, I simply don't agree with it.

Thanks for listening,

Paul

By the way, a friend informed me last night that Kelly Garni is again facing hard times. I am not suggesting that we do anything about it "as a board", but I do feel that spending money to help a friend of Randy's who is still alive is as much a show of our respect for Randy as sending a gift to the family which will sit on a shelf.

Again, just my 2 cents and I apologize if i've offended anyone.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

[quote="RockyRhoads"]

While I am sorry for the loss that the Rhoads family suffered 25 years ago, I am no comfortable with the idea of send gifts of any kind to them. I know that if it were my family that had lost a son, after 25 years I'd be ready to let him rest in peace.

Setting up a fund for people to donate if they so choose is admirable, but sending a blanket request to "Please give what you can to show the Rhoads family the respect that Randy still holds a quarter of a century since his sad passing" is a bit much, in my opinion. Feeling obligated is not the same as giving from the heart. I do understand that it was meant as a way to inform everyone of the opportunity to get involved, but it came across as a form letter asking for money - like those letters you get at Christmas asking for help for the homeless.
[quote]

I think you put across your point very well and with much respect.

I only can add that the family of Randy arrange the event every year so they must be comfortable with the commemorations still taking place 25 years later. I imagine in time they will start to be less regular but while they still wish to hold them, this (imho) suggests they enjoy the day themselves.

My second point is this, had this not been a special mile stone year (25) I don't imagine a collection would have been arranged, after all we didn't hold a collection to mark the 24 year aniversary in March 2006. Within the PM there is no pressure to give and I know that many people are unable to give because of financial constraints and they need not feel any shame or guilt, it is a very personal thing.

I myself give my full unconditional support to Sarab with this donations request and I, with others will be giving to it. I look forward to making the phtographs available to all who wish to view them from San Bernardino on the 19th on March 2007.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I agree with Trigger.
While these small conventions are held, I believe that they enjoy welcoming people into their lifetime for just a few hours while they tell stories and information to the listeners delight. I think if they didnt host these wonderful ceremonies, there would not be anywhere near the turnout or support, which Randy deserves considering we are his loyal fans.

We do not expect you to give anything, and you can still bow your heads with dignity and honour if you don't. This was just an idea, and I am in full support of Sarab.

FlyingHigh

Post by FlyingHigh »

Why not, I think its a great idea to ask for donations. In my opinion, the site can only keep getting bigger and this is a very special year. i dont see why we shouldnt put something forward.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I want to say that I support the idea of donating and giving people the opportunity to do so if they so choose. The only part that bothered me was getting two PMs (yes, I realize it was an error) asking for donations. It's just a personal thing with me, I believe in giving when my heart tells me to and not when someone asks me to. It has to do with my upbringing.

Most folks here know of my situation, and realize I cannot donate or attend the ceremony. Everyone will be in my prayers that day, however. I wish you all a safe journey who are going to attend, and I hope you all come away from this event better people for meeting one another face to face.

I wish I could join you.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Hey Guys,

Great idea! BUT I think people should only donate if they easy can or want to. Nobody should feel be forced to donate imo. In fact most members here already donate something of immeasurable value just by joining this board and keeping Randy's name alive! :)

(I can't imagine any donation more valuable than that!)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
sato sam

Post by sato sam »

Don't dig rocky's negativity on the subject.
How's the donations lookin'?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sato sam wrote:Don't dig rocky's negativity on the subject.
How's the donations lookin'?
I never meant to be negative regarding the idea. Taking donations for a memorial gift is a fine idea. The part that bothered me was the solicitation for donations. To me that wasn't necessary. I'm sorry I offended so many with my comments.