frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i agree. who's in charge of this stuff?
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I guess I'll volunteer you, frank.

Seriously, maybe someone at Charvel, or Jackson?
I think karl Sandoval is supposed to be there on the 19th.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Great idea, I know that Randy was a pioneer so I agree he should be honored in such a way. This year we should be doing all we can to keep his name and legend alive.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: just a thought...

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

therhoadlesstraveled wrote:they should name a guitar technique after randy
That's gonna be difficult. As far as I know Randy didn't use any new playing techniques.
BUT his style of playing (combination of techniques and theory) was new for sure! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
therhoadlesstraveled wrote:they should name a guitar technique after randy
That's gonna be difficult. As far as I know Randy didn't use any new playing techniques.
BUT his style of playing (combination of techniques and theory) was new for sure! 8)
I was thinking along those lines as well.

He was one of, possible, 3 guys that introduced
a classical influence to rock n' roll.

The other 2 being Ritchie Blackmore and Uli Roth :)
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

actually he did introduce a new tapping sequence which breaks EVH's triplet taps!

listen to crazy train that was done tapping twice on the 14th fret and hammer on 7th and 10th..

see?

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

siro_angel wrote:actually he did introduce a new tapping sequence which breaks EVH's triplet taps!

listen to crazy train that was done tapping twice on the 14th fret and hammer on 7th and 10th..

see?

Simon
i'm not sure if he was first with that or not,
but nevertheless, it's not a new technique :?
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

actually i thought it would be sorry if im wrong, but hey!

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Name another guitar player who has a technique named after him - Chuck Berry is the only one I can think of, and that is usually referring to "Chuck Berry Riffs" which Randy used often.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

we have the Dime-squeels, although
I think those originate from Van Halen 8)
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

So True...

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

You're right, and we also seem have Zakk squeels (a.k.a. pinch harmonics) as well. He didn't invent them but he definitely made them a huge part of his style...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

But are they really called Dime squeals or Zakk squeals? I mean are they called that in general reference or just by recent-era metal fans? Listen to Ozzy bootlegs and you'll find that Randy squealed a lot as well.

To have a technique named after an artist, the term would have to be used as a general replacement for the actual name of the technique. That's why I mentioned "Chuck Berry Riffs" which often refers to a number of different riffs commonly associated with Chuk Berry.

Guitar teachers, books and magazines all refer to "Chuck Berry Riffs" such as the way Randy begins his solo in Paranoid. It is close to universal. Hre's a paragraph from an article about Clapton:

The 'Eric Clapton Mystique' established itself very quickly. Jim McCarty noted, "He seemed to have this aura about him straight away, a certain magnetism, and it was not totally due to his playing - the clothes, the way he looked was all part of it". The Yardbirds recorded a live album with Sonny Boy Williamson II in 1963; and early in 1964, when they had graduated to the Marquee Club, they recorded another live album - one that would prove a milestone in British R&B. Five Live Yardbirds was the quintessential British R&B album - raucous and frantic, full of energy and immediacy rather than technique. Eric was turning to gutsy renditions of Chuck Berry riffs and being generally carried along by the enthusiasm of it all, although in retrospect he saw the glaring limitations of this format for his own musical development.

Even two-handed tapping isn't referred to as the "Eddie Van Halen" tecnique. It's usually referred to as "tapping ala Van Halen" or "Van Halen-style tapping" or "two-handed tapping, such a s popularized by Eddie Van Halen".

I'm not trying to say Randy's contributions shouldn't be commemorated, but naming a technique after an artist is just very uncommon.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

After all there is a guitar named after Randy.
The "RR guitar" model is quit famous in the hardrock & metal scene!
This will last for a very long time either.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:But are they really called Dime squeals or Zakk squeals? I mean are they called that in general reference or just by recent-era metal fans? Listen to Ozzy bootlegs and you'll find that Randy squealed a lot as well.
I'd say that they're 2 different squeels :!:

With Zakk you have the pinched harmonic with
a little wah added and a heavy vibrato which could
come, partially anyway, from Randy Rhoads.

With Dime you have the natural harmonics
bent to hell with the Floyd Rose which I'm
most certain comes from his EVH influence.