just a thought...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I agree that they both have used squeals in their style of playing, but is the technique named after them? No, it is a pinch harmonic, named for the way the sound is produced. What is done with the harmonic after it is produced is a matter of personal choice, but that is not a technique per se, but rather something done with a technique (the pinched harmonic).

I know I'm getting off topic, but that's just how I roll, y'know? Zakk has a fairly unique style and sound, so did Dime, but they utilized the same technique to get their results. That's all I'm saying.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:I agree that they both have used squeals in their style of playing, but is the technique named after them? No, it is a pinch harmonic, named for the way the sound is produced. What is done with the harmonic after it is produced is a matter of personal choice, but that is not a technique per se, but rather something done with a technique (the pinched harmonic).

I know I'm getting off topic, but that's just how I roll, y'know? Zakk has a fairly unique style and sound, so did Dime, but they utilized the same technique to get their results. That's all I'm saying.
neither had the technique named after them I agree on that.
what I wanted to say was that they used 2 different techniques
to get the squeels ... where Zakk uses PINCH HARMONICS, Dime uses the NATURAL HARMONICS that can be found on
3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 12th fret. they get similiar tones
but they use different techniques to achieve it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

OKay, I see what you are saying. I never really cared for Pantera or Damageplan, so I've never paid much attention to Dimebag Darrell's playing. Thanks for setting me straight.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

all cool :)