Question!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

moonchild77

Question!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by moonchild77 »

1ST question:

I remember hearing on one of ther RR boards (maybe this one) that there maybe a video of the Day On The Green show in the Bill Grahm valts. Has anyone heard about this?

2nd question:

For all you gear geeks out there (I'm one myself). The question always comes up about Randy's gear (amps and effects) . Has anyone tried to contact his guitar tech? His name was Pete Mertons. He was Randy's tech on the Diary tour.
According to the Diary tour book he used the following items that seem to be in question offten.

Strings were GHS (R&RL) guages 10, 13, 17, n26, n36, n46
Fender medium picks (.71mm)
4 Marshall "1959" Suer Lead Amps
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The "Day on the Green" footage is speculation. THere is a photo that some say shows a cameraman in the background, but it could also be just a glint of light. Then the "vault" came to light and everyone hoped that show with Randy was filmed, but there is no evidence. Rudy says "NO" and he was there, so I guess we should trust him.

As for Pete Mertons, I don't know of anyone who has been able to contact him. I've been around this board and RR.TK since 2003, and have heard the question of contacting him raised, but never have heard any follow up on the idea.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

randy used fender medium '351's and he played ghs '10's exclusively but i understand he used a different make overseas. there. that's my contribution.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

As I understand it with regard to filming 'Day on the green', if after the archive (Rocky mentioned) is fully opened checked and it proves that they don't have film of the show, it will mean as far as I have been informed that was the only year/band who were not filmed at any of the 'Day on the green' shows in any year.

The weirder question is that of of Pasaic NJ, bands who played there like Rush as early as 1977 have had full shows surface in the past few years.
The videos were all filmed on house cameras in (I believe) fixed positions, the venue charged bands for the service but the rumour is they recorded the gig! If it was recorded it could have been handed over to the band after the show and no coppies taken.
The Pasaic burned down about 15 years ago the owner died and the vault remains un-known, perhaps this is something we need or should be chasing?

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

frank wrote:randy used fender medium '351's and he played ghs '10's exclusively but i understand he used a different make overseas. there. that's my contribution.
Frank did you say a while back that you had one of RR picks ?? Anychance of posting it up please as i have a question on how to put a date on the pick..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:randy used fender medium '351's and he played ghs '10's exclusively but i understand he used a different make overseas. there. that's my contribution.
The "different make overseas" were Picatto strings.

Hey Frank, could you check this for acuracy? At least the parts you are familiar with? It seems right on to me, but I only know what I've read about...
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Randys amps were not 1959 SLPs. He used Marshall 100W superlead amp with no master volume.
moonchild77

Post by moonchild77 »

dannyahansen wrote:Randys amps were not 1959 SLPs. He used Marshall 100W superlead amp with no master volume.
Thats what I said. Super Lead Amps. This is what is listed in the back of the Diary tour book and also Randy said this in a interview I read in a guitar magazine. I can't remember if it was Guitar World or Guitar 1. I'll see if I can find it.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

RockyRhoads wrote:Rudy says "NO" and he was there, so I guess we should trust him.
mmm...... Lyndsy Brigdewater ( the keyboard player) was there as well and said "YES"........ :?
Got this from someone who asked Lyndsy himself if he remembered any filming during his time with Randy (not specific about "Day on the Green") and the first thing he said they were filming at DOTG...... Why would he make that up? (have to say I never could detect any cams on the existing photos either....)

I've spoken someone who has seen some footage of DOTG at mtv way back in '81: ( more people have claimed the same)
I was at my girlfriends house and we were watching MTV and they were running
a commercial for Sept '81 Ozzy tour dates. It was behind the scrolling tour
dates. It was outdoor, daytime, you could see it OK kind of distant
but, you could see Randy on the right side of the stage and Ozzy in the
middle. A friend of mine who is photographer (Daniel Larsen) was at the July
4th Oakland show and told me it was a multi camera shoot. MTV owns that
footage and is rotting in their vault. If I remember correctly Bill Grahm
productions was the original promoter. I only saw it once. I wish I had
taped it but, who knew it was coming on. I'm sure one day more Randy footage
will surface. I mean more than what's out there now.
Do you remember what song they where playing?
It's hard to say. I don't really remember any sound in the background. I do
remember alot of talking over it. It was like, see Ozzy Osbourne on the road
coming to your town soon blah blah..
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, time to get flamed, I guess...

I mentioned Rudy saying there was no filming, because that is the "party line" regarding that question. "There was never any filming other than After Hours. " They ALL say that publicly.

The truth is most likely that the Ozzy camp doesn't want to deal with Randy's mom on the subject, and as a result they are simply biding their time until they can produce whatever they want.

Personally, I feel that they should be honest and let everyon know what they have, if they have anything at all. Secondly, I think that Randy's mom should be consulted.

Maybe someone can ask her directly at the March memorial, "If there is any film of Randy with Ozzy, would you be okay with it being released?" She might be all for it, or not for it at all, but at least that would put an end to the speculation.

Just my opinion.
frank

Post by frank »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: Frank did you say a while back that you had one of RR picks ?? Anychance of posting it up please as i have a question on how to put a date on the pick..
i have several but have no idea where they are. at the time i was stubborn about playing w/o a pick. randy would give me one to take home and practice with. i'd show up the next week without it.
frank

Post by frank »

RockyRhoads wrote: Maybe someone can ask her directly at the March memorial, "If there is any film of Randy with Ozzy, would you be okay with it being released?" She might be all for it, or not for it at all, but at least that would put an end to the speculation.
consider it done.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

frank wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote: Maybe someone can ask her directly at the March memorial, "If there is any film of Randy with Ozzy, would you be okay with it being released?" She might be all for it, or not for it at all, but at least that would put an end to the speculation.
consider it done.
beat me to it, frank.
i was going to ask you to ask.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank

Post by frank »

Sarab wrote: beat me to it, frank.
coward. i was gonna make you ask.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

frank wrote:
Sarab wrote: beat me to it, frank.
coward. i was gonna make you ask.
we're gonna be pushing each other, aren't we??
"you ask", "no, you ask", is what we'll be saying for awhile...
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.