March 19,1982~Where Were U?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Re: March 19,1982~Where Were U?

Post by DMRX »

Wow,theese are some Saddening Stories.I was only 2 or 3 when it happened so I dont remember it Perse'.My older Brother played me Crazy train when I was 5 or 6 & told me it was Randy Rhoads (this guy who was Covering All four walls in my Brothers Room.I fell in love w/Crazy train (the 1st song he played me) & remember jumping on the Bed & playing it Over & Over!
When your 6 That ALL ABOARD intro was just AWSOME!!!!I began sneakin to play his Records ,every chance I got ( Remember the Fischer Price record player) :lol:
I loved it so much I named my Dog Romance After GTR :oops: hey I was smitten!
Then I found out he was Dead :? Then I cried & Cried (its actually how I think I learned about Death,believe it or not)Hes been my Hero for 80% of my Life!!

FOZZY Could you Please try to Find that Cassette???Or is it one that has been on YouTube??
Ace5150

Post by Ace5150 »

I recall my mum telling me on a saturday morning she'd heard Ozzy Osbournes plane had crashed on the radio and 3 had died. She didn't know any names, but added that the radio DJ mentioned that 'one of the nicest people in rock' had died. My best friend who was with me said, 'That'll be Don Airey'
Wasn't till the following day I read it was Randy Rhoads, and later that week, KERRANG! ran a tribute as did Sounds with Garry Bushells now famous obituary.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

I was 10... 8 days away from my 11th birthday.
Randy died on the friday and I think it was the Saturday or Sunday I found out.

I was sitting downstairs watching tv with my parents... and my brother came in.
He was pretty bumbed out.
My Mum asked him what was wrong and he said Randy Rhoads died.
My Dad said "Who the hell is that"?

I didn't have a connection with Randy yet... but I knew who he was and who Ozzy was.
Almost everyday for the next month at least my brother played Blizzard and Diary.
I remember at school on monday Randy was the talk of the day.... everyone assumed Ozzy and his crazy devil ways had something to do with it.

Randy was a legend from that point on.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I wanna say it was a Thursday in 1982. I heard it on the radio before school. Everyone was bummed. We were like 14 (8th grade) and I remember earlier (6 months before) listing to a tape of a radio show with the "new album" and being taken with YCKRR. But I didn't really think about just the guitar player, until he died. I recorded the King Biscuit flour hour and was blown away by the guitar solo and it was clear that this is what he did. Then getting to see a vhs of afterhours was mind blowing. It was almost unreal and it still is.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:But I didn't really think about just the guitar player, until he died. I recorded the King Biscuit flour hour and was blown away by the guitar solo and it was clear that this is what he did.

That was me... I liked the songs, but didn't really pay attention specifically to Randy until after hearing about the plane crash. After that I focused on Randy and realized how phenomenal he was.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I was at school- nothing memorable from that day itself strikes me- but I remember when I found out I was bummed because Randy was so young!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
dfanucci

Post by dfanucci »

The day he died I was not around a radio, tv, or telephone. My buddy and I at the time were huge Ozzy/Rhoads fans.

I'll never forget it. We both had paper routes (I was 14) and before we would start delivering we would always read the paper. My buddy was thumbing through the paper and went ghost white. He did not say a word, he just handed me the paper. I looked at the paper and read about it. Stunned was an understatment.

Growing up in Southern California we all knew about Randy. It's a pretty vivid memory...
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I remember opening up the saturday paper the late morning after the accident and saw the small article with reuters or ap photo of randy.I wasnt a fan so i regarded this event as another crazy stunt that was par for course for Ozzy on this tour-bat eating,the alamo,etc...The following monday kids at school were talking about it somewhat.Didnt get into RR til about a year later.What a tragic,stupid waste.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120