& u may not wanna answer but do u remember how u found out
about Randy's death? Where were u,etc.? My answer~I was
spending the night w/my friend Laura & her brother,Jack was
talking about it.I didn't really even know who Ozzy was at the time
but it saddened me greatly to hear the news.I was only 15 &
living in Arkansas.I had been to only a few concerts(both pop
bands) & wish I would've been into metal then cuz I'd give
anything to turn back time & go see the "Blizzard of Ozz" or
"DOAM" tours instead!!! I'm such an idiot..grrrrrr.
Take care.
*Mel*
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I had heard about it the following monday at school. Some girls were crying in the bathroom, and I had just walked in. I thought one girls mom or dad had died the way she was carrying on. One of the girls told me that she just loved Randy, and that they were afraid she was gonna do something stupid. I walked out of there in a daze. I never did find out about that girl, as I did not know her, or her friends. As it was, I was always made fun of by the rest of the "catty" girls in an all girls school. So, I just kept to myself about Randy's death. I wished that I was able to tell one of my friends of his death, but they were into "new wave" and "punk" crap, so my information would have merited shit.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

memories. geez. this was in the day before pagers. i was working that day. i came in from the field in the afternoon. the clerk told me i had a message to call home. i called and meradith gave me the news. i didn't believe her. the idea was too outlandish. she had called the house to see if it was true and a family friend answered the phone. she said that yes, it was true. the next week is a blur. the next six months weren't much better.
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

I was listening to the Friday Rock Show hosted by Tommy Vance, when he announced Randy had been killed. It had only happened a few hours earlier and reports were sketchy but Randy had been confirmed as one of the casualties. Tragic news, I was taping the show, as I did most weeks and I've still got Tommy's announcement somewhere on a little cassette. He played Superstar by Budgie I think, as a tribute to him, saying this track summed him up perfectly. I was devastated.
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

I was just a gleam in my father's eye.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I came home from school and heard a report on the radio, one of those news break kind of things. All it said was that the guitar player from the Ozzy Osbourne band had died in a plane crash. No mention of his name or anything. I had just started listening to Blizzard the previous spring, and I think I had bought Diary by then as well, so I listene to those records all weekend.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I was 14 when he died and because most of the December 81 Uk shows were canceled I missed my chance to see him live.
I wasn't a big fan, I was offered the ticket for free.
Within a year I had become a huge fan and as a result I miss him to this day. He has given me so much enjoyment.
I was told about Randy's death at school the nextday by the kid I would have gone to the show with, I still have a clipping from a music paper that I read when I checked up my friends story.

Very sad memory

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Didn't Know Randy Then

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I was only 11 then so I doubt I had any true connection with Randy's music way back then. My brother bought the 1982 Guitar magazine and mentioned it to me. I still didn't really get the magnitude of what had happened. I wasn't a musician back then. I was just a kid listening to whatever music my older brother brought home. Since then Randy's music has finally settled in to my own guitar style. I can thank Wolf Marshall for showing me Randy's licks but it took many years before I understood the theory behind Randy's music. That is what impresses me so much about Randy. He was dedicated. That is what I remember most about him...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
shamseer

Post by shamseer »

I was only 1 year old sweeet child!!!
]M[egadet]H[
randys roadie
Cool Member

Post by randys roadie »

shamseer wrote:I was only 1 year old sweeet child!!!
Does that mean you do remember or you dont? :lol: I imagine you had different things to think about back then!! :D

Nice to meet a new member to the site why not introduce yourself in the introduction section.
Randy rocked
metal_head6704

Post by metal_head6704 »

Ok here goes, I was hangin out at a local arcade in the town I live in (Yes I still live in the same place), and we were playin foosball. The radio was crankin and they were playin Ozzy/Randy songs one after another...."Mr. Crowley", "Crazy Train", "I Dont Know", "Over The Mountain", and "Flying High Again".....Ill never forget it, after that the D.J. came on and said that Randy Rhoads had been killed in a plane crash in florida, I was devistated. Then he says we are gonna play one more , this one goes out to Randy , all his family, friends, and fans......"You Cant Kill Rock n' Roll" !!!! I just stood there crying, some people thought i was an idiot, others understood. I went home after that and broke out my King Buscuit tape and just played over and over and over.....crying the whole time.
rockermel
Cool Member

Post by rockermel »

Metal_head,how old were you? Wow,that's so sad..I wasn't even
familiar w/Randy when he died so I can't say his death affected
me a lot at the time..until the mid to late 80's when I bought Blizzard,
Diary, & Tribute CD's~I used to have an Ozzy video where
he & Sharon talked about Randy..& Randy's mom was also on
there..I think it came out in the late 90's..I'll have to see if I can
find that video..it's a VHS & a dubbed version..so not the best
quality.Sometimes it's hard to fathom that he has been gone
so long..I wish it was just a nightmare & I will wake up from it~
sigh... :cry:
ROCK ON!
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

I ws 13 and didnt listen to the radio at home but they played Blizz and diary all the time at my local skating rink which is where i spent most of my weekends back then. I remember finding my 1st hit parader in a arcade by my house and seeing Randy for the 1st time(still have the pic too) the caption was Ozzy with plane crash victim Randy Rhoads..:I heard this guy at 4am and I told him you got the job!" Thats was like april or may of 82.
metal_head6704

Post by metal_head6704 »

rockermel wrote:Metal_head,how old were you? Wow,that's so sad..I wasn't even
familiar w/Randy when he died so I can't say his death affected
me a lot at the time..until the mid to late 80's when I bought Blizzard,
Diary, & Tribute CD's~I used to have an Ozzy video where
he & Sharon talked about Randy..& Randy's mom was also on
there..I think it came out in the late 90's..I'll have to see if I can
find that video..it's a VHS & a dubbed version..so not the best
quality.Sometimes it's hard to fathom that he has been gone
so long..I wish it was just a nightmare & I will wake up from it~
sigh... :cry:
ROCK ON!
Im 39 now so...lets see I was...14 at the time of his death, I turned 15 the following July...The first band I ever got into was KISS, In 1976, then a friend of mine gave me a copy of Black Sabbath's first album, so from there I was familiar with Ozzy...so when his first solo album came out I was interested to hear it, when I heard Randy's playing I was totally blown away.... It was fresh and exciting, yet familiar....It was heavy metal with a classical influence, it was perfect....when ever i think of what would have been had he lived, it just makes me sad. I know he wanted to quit with Ozzy eventually, but can you imagine if Randy had released a solo album of classical music or just classical guitar. How amazing would that have been !!!!
trobe

Post by trobe »

I heard on the radio, the following morning. Very saddened by his death, and the fact that I never had the chance to see him play live. That is why I am on a quest to find as much live video / audio I can get my hads on.
" Reality is an illusion created by the lack of good alcohol"