Blizzard and Diary Demos?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Blizzard and Diary Demos?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've been listening to Van Halen demos all morning. It's really interesting to hear different versions of songs I know so well. For an example of what I mean, check ot the thread here.

The thing is, listening to all these demos (3 1/2 hours worth) got me to thinking about the Blizzard and Diary sessions. Now either the band consisting of Randy, Bob, Lee and Ozzy was either the greatest, most talented, most efficient band in history OR Ozzy's management didn't keep the master tapes OR there are loads of demos from all the Blizzard and Diary sessions.

I'd bet on the third option. Bob Daisley has made mention of having some demo tapes and Ozzy redid both records without the original bass and drums so he must have the masters.

The only reason I bring it up is because it's nice to have some hope that more material will surface in the future. I waited over 20 years for new material and then the Quiet Riot footage materialized. I don't even care if it is still years away from release, just the thought that there is something to look forward to makes me happy.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hi Rocky

Bob has said that he has tapes of the the songs being written and of different cuts of the songs from the stuidio recordings, I believe that is only a matter of time before they leak out.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I would love to listen to songs like "diary" and of course "crazy train" see if there was any differences. Its awesome to hear him during his days with quiet riot and then ozzy...dude made insane jumps with his performance
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Demo's of those tracks don't exist but if you check out Randy's playing on tracks from tour to tour you get to see real differences. :D
Thats the closest thing I can recomend to the demo's we all wish existed.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

Demo's do exist. Ozzy just does'nt like to release them!?

Blizzard Demos are
Revelation/Steal Away
I Don't Know
and Suicde Solution

No Bone Movies has a two other takes.

Diary has a demo for
Strange Voyage (S.A.T.O)
and Beliver

There are the other takes and cuts that Ozzy, Bob Daisley and Don Arden Still have. So yes ther are "Demos" or early recorded versions

Diary was rushed because Randy was composing other songs for the Third Jet Album at the same time to get out of his contract and thats why Little Dolls and Tonite were rushed in ONE Take each! Those count for "DEMOS" for me!

Also You Said It All is a Live demo yet to officially hit CD's and Digital

There are also 2 DEMO Songs for Bark at the Moon, Slow Down and R'N'R Rebel
4 Songs unreleased for Ultimate Sin (Backing Tracks Only with drum machine)
and 2 songs Unreleased on Just Say Ozzy (Recorded in live without audience mixed in later by Andy Johns), "Breaking all the Rules and The Wizard"
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

It would be great to her demos or different versions of the songs.How about Randys solos that didn't make it to the albums.Lets hear those.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The thing that gets me is that Van Halen was prolific in the songwriting department in the early days.They have enough material in demos from 1975 to 1980 to release multiple albums.

I'm just wondering how they afforded to go into the studio prior to their big break? I've always wondered if Kevin DuBrow has demo tapes of Quiet Riot that he's stashed away? I'm sure Randy was every bit as prolific as Ed when it came to writing songs.
atomicpunk5151

Post by atomicpunk5151 »

RockyRhoads wrote:The thing that gets me is that Van Halen was prolific in the songwriting department in the early days.They have enough material in demos from 1975 to 1980 to release multiple albums.

I'm just wondering how they afforded to go into the studio prior to their big break? I've always wondered if Kevin DuBrow has demo tapes of Quiet Riot that he's stashed away? I'm sure Randy was every bit as prolific as Ed when it came to writing songs.
Not sure if anyone will ever be like Ed VH in the songwriting department. The time from 74-77 comprised more then half of the songwritng for later VH records from 78-84. HELL, Ed even used a piece of a song from the 70's as late as 1995.

BTW: there are 2 different set of VH demos. The 1976 Demos done by Gene Simmons (from KISS) and the 1977 Warner Bros demos.

Here are a few notes:
Complete Zero
Format: 2 Compact Discs (Homemade CD-R)
Label: S.T.O.H. Production 2004
Source: Gene Simmons Demos (1976)
Warner Bros Demos (1977)

Disc 1
Intro 0:12
On Fire 3:35
Woman In Love 3:23
House Of Pain 3:33
Runnin' With the Devil 3:22
She's the Woman 2:51
Let's Get Rockin' 3:00
Big Trouble 3:32
Somebody Get Me a Doctor 3:01
Babe, Don't Leave Me Alone 2:52
Put Out the Lights 3:34
Let's Get Rockin' 3:11
We Die Bold 3:05
Voodoo Queen 3:41
Little Dreamer 3:12
House Of Pain 3:31
Runnin' With The Devil 3:24
On Fire 4:03
Babe Don't Leave Me Alone 3:05
Bring On The Girls 3:49
Young & Wild 2:35
Last Night 3:30
Light In The Sky 4:39
Get The Show On The Road 2:59

Disc 1 Time - 1:17:50

Disc 2
D.O.A. 3:59
Somebody Get Me A Doctor 4:01
Show Your Love 4:08
She's The Woman 3:05
Put Out The Lights 3:41
Big Trouble 3:42
I Wanna Be Your Lover 3:02
Feel Your Love Tonight 3:59
In A Simple Rhyme 4:44
Piece Of Mind 3:56
You Really Got Me 2:43
Happy Trails 1:10
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love 4:04
House Of Pain 3:34
Runnin' With The Devil 3:21
On Fire 2:57

Disc 2 Time - 56:13

Notes
Tracks 2 through 11 of Disc 1 are taken from the Gene Simmons produced demo tape. Recorded at Village Recorder Studios in Los Angeles and Electric Ladyland Studios in New York May 1976.
Tracks 12 through 24 of Disc 1 and Tracks 1 through 12 of Disc 2 are from the 1977 demo produced by Ted Templeman and Mo Ostin for Warner Bros. These demos were recorded in Los Angeles in late 1977.
Tracks 13 through 16 of Disc 2 are unused sessions and alternates takes.
Front cover artwork contains the Van Halen logo used for the Red vinyl promo released by Warner Bros. in 1977. It also contains a large number zero in red in the background and the title of this set.
The inside back artwork contains one shot of each of the band members live in concert.
The rear artwork contains another large number zero in the background, the track listing and notes as well as two very early group shots of the band.
Released on Jan 1, 2004.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The stuff I was listening to when I started this thread is called Demography and comprises 4 discs. They aren't all demos, some are live recodings. I have the Zero disc, so I believe I've go most of the demos...
Barneylovesbeagle

Post by Barneylovesbeagle »

The problem with the Ozzy man is he's deaf guys... he doesn't want to pay his old band mates either so the DEMOS will not be officially released ever. EVER. No DEMOS from pre-'89. Not even Sabbath. They said in 2004 when making the Black Box that they do (Tony Iommi) have copies
of A Sonfg for Jim and The Rebel but they will never release them becuase they were forced in to recording them for various producers along with 'Evil Woman' and the 'Warning' They have diffrent takes but Tony and Geezer really did'nt do DEMO's or many takes in studio. Sorry

The KISS box set is GREAT and I don't really like KISGO! 'She' is killer with horns damn I wish Ozz/Sab could put out a box set like that, thats a BOX SET

Also Eddie's Archive is AWESOME too! Retail standpoint its too much for a box set! the shot glass and ring and shit totally true to the fans wants!

THERE ARE DEMOS OUT THERE AND THEY WILL NEVER GET RELEASED OFFICIALLY

Its very sad but Sharon and Ozzy don't listen to there fans.

PAY the MAN! Daisley, Kerslake, Mrs. Rhoads, and Soussan need at least
1 Million USD in royalties or just credit deserved like
Diary of a Madman CREDITS!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Well, Barney, it's been mentioned here more than once that Ozzy's camp won't release stuff at the present time due to a desire to not offend Mrs. Rhoads in any way. She is very protective of Randy and probably wouldn't want any demos released because she wants all the music related to Randy to be as perfect as possible. That is the reason that she won't allow the Quiet Riot albums to be released. She believes the quality of the material isn't up to snuff.

It's not Ozzy that is holding this stuff back, and definitely not Sharon, she loves to make money. She had Ozzy sing with Miss Piggy for cying out loud, she'd release anything that will lead to more money. She has no control over the Sabbath stuff, though.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Damn, you got a point there RockyRhoads.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evoleye

bark demos

Post by evoleye »

I have them, can I post them here and how?
Let's go crazzzyyyy!!!!!!!!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bark demos

Post by Trigger »

evoleye wrote:I have them, can I post them here and how?
Be my guest :) Perhaps skezza might be able to give you advice on posting.