The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Did anyone ever see the original track listings that Legacy/Sony posted for the 2011 Blizzard/Diary box set before it was changed?

From the original press release:

Diary of a Madman (Legacy Edition)
Pre-Order - Ships on or before May 03, 2011

1.Over The Mountain (4:31)
2.Flying High Again (4:44)
3.You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll (6:59)
4.Believer (5:15)
5.Little Dolls (5:39)
6.Tonight (5:50)
7.S.A.T.O. (4:07)
8.Diary Of A Madman (6:14)
9.Tonight (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) (6:09)
10.You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) (7:11)
11.Diary Of A Madman (2010 Remix, Previously Unreleased) (6:08)

Blizzard of Ozz (Expanded Edition)
Pre-Order - Ships on or before May 03, 2011

1. I Don’t Know (5:13)
2. Crazy Train (4:51)
3. Goodbye To Romance (5:33)
4. Dee (0:49)
5. Suicide Solution (4:17)
6. Mr. Crowley (5:02)
7. No Bone Movies (3:52)
8. Revelation (Mother Earth) (6:08)
9. Steal Away (The Night) (3:28)
10. You Looking At Me, Looking At You (Non-LP B-Side, Previously Unreleased in the U.S.) (4:15)
11. Goodbye To Romance (2010 Guitar & Vocal Mix, Previously Unreleased) (5:42)
12. Revelation (Mother Earth) (Previously Unreleased Version) (7:23)

So, there's the extra solo work we are missing on those long Diary fade-outs.

My guess is that the previously unreleased version of "Revelation" has the "RR" solo track at the end.

Also, the Ozzy Live bonus disc was originally to be packaged with Blizzard as an expanded edition and it was titled Live In Southampton. Photos of this CD with the box set were pictured in the original press release before it was pulled and the box set delayed and changed.

We also know the following exist and remain unreleased:

"Goodbye to Romance" - unreleased 1980 remix made for single release. A photo of the remix session invoice appears in Bob Daisley's excellent book.

Also announced, but pulled:

"No Bone Movies" - unreleased (but circulated) original b-side version before it was remixed for inclusion on the album plus the chant vocals added and certain sounds removed. This appeared in the Legacy/Sony press release and was originally going to be on the 2002 remaster as a bonus track before the decision to re-record the bass and drums was made.

To me, those long Diary fades seem like they would be amazing to hear, even though there's not all that much past the original fade going by the times. Some of one of them made it in the DVD in the set at least so that was really cool.

We also know there's extra guitar tracks in the masters, like the additional guitar parts in "Crazy Train" that were heard when Ozzy and Jack played the master in Iron Mountain.

I am thankful for what we do have. I listen to Randy all of the time and am always amazed by what he did in such a short period of time. Just very interesting that there's still some more stuff locked up in the vaults.
chasmcneal

Re: The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Post by chasmcneal »

I thought I had read, probably here or .tk and several years ago, that the tape rolled on Tonight for quite a long time. I'd love to hear whatever else might be there after the fade, I've nearly deafened myself on the opening of SATO many times over the years.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

chasmcneal wrote:I thought I had read, probably here or .tk and several years ago, that the tape rolled on Tonight for quite a long time. I'd love to hear whatever else might be there after the fade, I've nearly deafened myself on the opening of SATO many times over the years.
I was just listening to Tonight before reading your post and doing the same thing, cranking up the fade and hoping to stop it in time because I've had my ears blasted so many times too over the 37 years since buying the album.
I just found something on my laptop playback software (JRiver - which is awesome), that will let me stop playback after a track so I'll have to try that next time I listen to my CD rip.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I am very curious about the revelation Mother Earth version. Ever since the 30 years after doc I have been wondering about the middle section before the solo. During the documentary they play a part of that with only Randy playing, however it sounds like it is playing through and old radio and it is much slower than the album version.

I am not sure if they manipulated the sound of it or randy recorded a completely separate track that never made it onto the album. It doesn’t sound like any of the acoustics on the album, it has somewhat of a very light flanger affect as well. I wonder if the version of revelation was going to be like the GTR version with just Randy and Ozzy.

Regarding the album version I have been slowly gong through it with adobe audition and trying to remove all the other instruments during that middle section. It’s difficult but I can hear what randy is actually playing a bit better. All the tabs for the song are wrong for that part. , I will tab it out once I get all the little details figured out.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Was there any logical reason all that interesting stuff was pulled? Jeez, RR fans can't get any break...
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

alborg wrote:Was there any logical reason all that interesting stuff was pulled? Jeez, RR fans can't get any break...
Saving it for later most likely is all I can think of..

Sort of related story, I was looking through my Apple TV the other day at purchasing some movies so I looked up Ozzy to see what was available. They have his memoirs of madman video collection. It has all his standalone music videos and a few shows spread throughout his career. They included the full after-hours show and only Over the Mountain from the the Albuquerque footage, no Mr.Crowley...I was like WTF?! :?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Bob Daisley found out and wanted his cut, so they just said ok one way we can avoid paying him we'll just not release it.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Bob Daisley found out and wanted his cut, so they just said ok one way we can avoid paying him we'll just not release it.
That's nonsense. If that were true why would the Os release the original versions of songs on the 2011 box set and Tribute?
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Bob Daisley found out and wanted his cut, so they just said ok one way we can avoid paying him we'll just not release it.
That's nonsense. If that were true why would the Os release the original versions of songs on the 2011 box set and Tribute?
No other reason for them to not release it..It was made up and the Live disc was seen amongst the other material. Bob found out and went in with guns blazing and tried to sweeten the deal with offering up the 'grail' to be part of the bartering deal for a bigger royalty cut.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Southhampton was likely pulled because it was redundant to include it with another blizzard live show, the one that we did get.

We haven’t heard all of Southampton yet but some of the pieces are there from the tribute and EP release. From everything I have heard it would not be something I would want released prior to all the other live shows they do and may have.

1. Randy’s playing was spectacular as usual from what we have heard of that show, but at the same time it’s kind of boring compared to every thing from June 1981 and later. Even tribute sounds somewhat lacking now because randy was adding so much to the songs (tastefully) as time went on.

2. Including two live albums of the Blizzard tour makes no sense, they kept what they felt is the best show and released it as part of the box set, although it’s a mixed bag if shows even at that. Having 3 versions of each song is kind of going overboard (studio and two live)

3. The Daisley/Kerslake issues may have had been a small part of it but I doubt it. The Osbourne’s likely don’t care at this point and will do what they want. They have the money to drag things out for years in the courts if they want.

4. Save the show for a later release date and make money off of it. Including a second show with the 30 years after release wasn’t going to net any more buyers of the box set.

Montreal is likely the next show to get released IMO. Then hopefully a diary show at some point if one is hiding in the vaults.

Southampton would be great to go along with the Bobs grail tapes as part of a set. It tells the story of the original band then from creating the music, then the studio releases, and then finally the south Hampton live show.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Shockwave wrote:Southhampton was likely pulled because it was redundant to include it with another blizzard live show, the one that we did get.

We haven’t heard all of Southampton yet but some of the pieces are there from the tribute and EP release. From everything I have heard it would not be something I would want released prior to all the other live shows they do and may have.

1. Randy’s playing was spectacular as usual from what we have heard of that show, but at the same time it’s kind of boring compared to every thing from June 1981 and later. Even tribute sounds somewhat lacking now because randy was adding so much to the songs (tastefully) as time went on.

2. Including two live albums of the Blizzard tour makes no sense, they kept what they felt is the best show and released it as part of the box set, although it’s a mixed bag if shows even at that. Having 3 versions of each song is kind of going overboard (studio and two live)

3. The Daisley/Kerslake issues may have had been a small part of it but I doubt it. The Osbourne’s likely don’t care at this point and will do what they want. They have the money to drag things out for years in the courts if they want.

4. Save the show for a later release date and make money off of it. Including a second show with the 30 years after release wasn’t going to net any more buyers of the box set.

Montreal is likely the next show to get released IMO. Then hopefully a diary show at some point if one is hiding in the vaults.

Southampton would be great to go along with the Bobs grail tapes as part of a set. It tells the story of the original band then from creating the music, then the studio releases, and then finally the south Hampton live show.
This is just you wishing what would come out..Stop dreaming the O's had the Blizzard / Diary box set ready to be released we seen the pressed disc with the Southampton Live pressed on the disc. Bob was like shit off a stick into them because he knew he would be on that Live show. He was told on his questions forum on his site. I remember reading it, i probably chimed in if the truth be known. But the O$bourne's being the stubborn fuckers they are pulled the whole bocx set and it was delayed coming out. I remember $haron releasing a video mentioning that they had rare material and that included the mentioned grail. Well 'we hoped' it would be included, but alas like anything you wish for, it always goes tits up..
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote:
No other reason for them to not release it..It was made up and the Live disc was seen amongst the other material. Bob found out and went in with guns blazing and tried to sweeten the deal with offering up the 'grail' to be part of the bartering deal for a bigger royalty cut.
No you're wrong again on all fronts. Bob's meeting at Blizzard Music was on the 12th of October 2009, the original track listing was posted in 2011.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote: No you're wrong again on all fronts. Bob's meeting at Blizzard Music was on the 12th of October 2009, the original track listing was posted in 2011.
NO! you'd like to think i'm wrong with your dates but that proves absolutely nothing. WHY did they pull the original box set, it was pressed up and packaged and ready to be released. Don't bring 'the grail' into this because that is a complete different issue. That was 'Bob's cherry' and his idea of how it could be released. It could of been a good extra to the box set but Bob didn't want it altered, tampered with or edited. So it would of been far too long to be just an added bonus in it's entirety. Or as Bob puts it 'them taking control'.
The track listing on what ? i'm on about the full Live Southampton recorded show. Not singlle tracks that had Bob included from Tribute. Yeah from the same show.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote: No you're wrong again on all fronts. Bob's meeting at Blizzard Music was on the 12th of October 2009, the original track listing was posted in 2011.
NO! you'd like to think i'm wrong with your dates but that proves absolutely nothing. WHY did they pull the original box set, it was pressed up and packaged and ready to be released. Don't bring 'the grail' into this because that is a complete different issue. That was 'Bob's cherry' and his idea of how it could be released. It could of been a good extra to the box set but Bob didn't want it altered, tampered with or edited. So it would of been far too long to be just an added bonus in it's entirety. Or as Bob puts it 'them taking control'.
The track listing on what ? i'm on about the full Live Southampton recorded show. Not singlle tracks that had Bob included from Tribute. Yeah from the same show.
I was referring to the original Sony/Legacy track listing before it was changed.
You stated that the reason the listing was changed was that Bob found out about it. He's had just one meeting at Blizzard Music's offices in the past 20+ years and that was in 2009 with Colin Newman, the accountant who runs the company and has done since Don Arden was in charge. No guns were blazing, the meeting was amicable and it took place long before any decisions were made about making a 30th anniversary boxset.
Why you think Bob would give a fuck if the Southampton show was released is what puzzles me. What difference would it make to him?

Your assumption that the original box set was 'pressed up and packaged and ready to be released' before the listing was changed is nonsense. That would never happen, the industry is run by accountants, it's all about making money not throwing it down the pan. 

The Osbournes are long past caring about what fans think or what they want to hear but if they have any unreleased footage or unheard audio then maybe it's being saved for the film that Sharon announced she's making about Ozzy's life.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I knew from Bob's initial reaction about the Southampton Live cd that he would of had too of put his mark on it. He after all is THE Blizzard of Ozz he wrote the theme tune, sung the theme tune It's all in his book..Yeah yeah!!