The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sky
Madman

Re: The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I knew from Bob's initial reaction about the Southampton Live cd that he would of had too of put his mark on it. He after all is THE Blizzard of Ozz he wrote the theme tune, sung the theme tune It's all in his book..Yeah yeah!!
That response says more about you than it does about Bob. What initial reaction to the CD ??? I edited the book and I don't know what you're talking about so fuck knows how anyone else is meant to.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Re: The pulled Ozzy/Randy unreleased material

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Shockwave wrote:Southhampton was likely pulled because it was redundant to include it with another blizzard live show, the one that we did get.

We haven’t heard all of Southampton yet but some of the pieces are there from the tribute and EP release. From everything I have heard it would not be something I would want released prior to all the other live shows they do and may have.

1. Randy’s playing was spectacular as usual from what we have heard of that show, but at the same time it’s kind of boring compared to every thing from June 1981 and later. Even tribute sounds somewhat lacking now because randy was adding so much to the songs (tastefully) as time went on.

2. Including two live albums of the Blizzard tour makes no sense, they kept what they felt is the best show and released it as part of the box set, although it’s a mixed bag if shows even at that. Having 3 versions of each song is kind of going overboard (studio and two live)

3. The Daisley/Kerslake issues may have had been a small part of it but I doubt it. The Osbourne’s likely don’t care at this point and will do what they want. They have the money to drag things out for years in the courts if they want.

4. Save the show for a later release date and make money off of it. Including a second show with the 30 years after release wasn’t going to net any more buyers of the box set.

Montreal is likely the next show to get released IMO. Then hopefully a diary show at some point if one is hiding in the vaults.

Southampton would be great to go along with the Bobs grail tapes as part of a set. It tells the story of the original band then from creating the music, then the studio releases, and then finally the south Hampton live show.
I do know this regarding the Southampton disc:

The Ozzy Live disc we did get replaced it. They weren't going to do both. Originally, the Blizzard CD was to be a Legacy 2CD Edition with the Southampton show as disc 2 and Diary was to be 1 CD with bonus tracks. When everything changed, Southampton was dropped and Blizzard was made a 1CD and Diary was made the Legacy 2CD Edition with Ozzy Live.

Interestingly, Southampton was going to be 10 tracks according to CD Japan. So likely, Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies were to be omitted since they are still in print on Tribute. You Said It All was likely to not be included since it was from soundcheck. So my guess it that it was going to have:

I Don't Know
You Looking At Me
Crazy Train
Crowley
Revelation
SS
Iron Man
Children
Steal Away
Paranoid

I totally agree, his playing kept getting better and better with more great fills added as time went on and I listen to Montreal all of the time, Cleveland not nearly as much. Ozzy Live has some great fills, although the brickwalled mastering is very fatiguing,. Montreal is my favorite, along with some '82 soundboards like 1-15-82.

I don't hold much hope for Montreal to get released since they already used the guitar solo on Tribute (unless they reverse things and use the Cleveland solo to splice into Montreal) and they used FHA from Montreal on Ozzy Live and well as using some of the banter. Thank goodness for the King Biscuit Flower Hour so at least we have the full untouched show. The concert, less Iron Man/COTG is still on Wolfgang's service for streaming:

https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/ozzy-os ... ?tid=14869