Blizzard of Ozz/ Diary of a Madman 40th anniversary

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tihsyloh

Blizzard of Ozz/ Diary of a Madman 40th anniversary

Post by tihsyloh »

This is all purely speculation on my part, but I'm starting to wonder if we're in for an amazing 40th anniversary boxset of these albums? First we hear about Bob Daisley not being allowed to discuss certain aspects of his renewall with blizzard music. Next we get confirmation of new Ozzy/Randy footage. Lee Kerslake gets his platinum awards (finally). I am wondering if there has been some kind of agreement in releasing the footage and some of the "grail" for the 40th anniversary of these albums? They could do something similar to what Metallica has been doing with their boxsets for their albums. What do you guys think about this?
"But they're not blind, Its just that they won't see."[color=#0040FF][/color]
adam_777

Re: Blizzard of Ozz/ Diary of a Madman 40th anniversary

Post by adam_777 »

I definitely think it's a strong possibility. I've speculated for years that Ozzy's management has been holding off on releases until after his physical retirement from touring. Now that Ozzy has done extended farewell tours with Sabbath and is in the middle of one for his solo career (that has been much waylaid by health problems already) I think the writing is on the wall for Ozzy as a live touring act.

Of all the so called Legacy acts, Ozzy has to be up there as one of the few who has released almost no archival material. His last live proper Live album was Budokan almost two decades ago! And his last studio album is closing in on a decade. Other than the 30th boxset for Blizzard/Diary you pretty much have to go all the way back to Tribute for an Ozzy live release that wasn't a contemporary thing so it's not like market saturation is a problem here. Meanwhile there were VHS releases of concert footage from the Bark and Ultimate Sin tours that have long gone out of print and could be rereleased like the Speak of the Devil DVD. It should be noted that the only time Ozzy has done any sort of archival release from his solo career, it has been Randy related.

I figure the Osbourne camp knows that Ozzy's days are numbered as a touring act drawing in money and that what the future of his career will be will be the odd one off performances, perhaps a final studio album and archival releases. If that's the case the first thing that makes sense timing wise is to have another box of some stuff from the Blizzard band, which 40th anniversary basically coincides with Ozzy's supposed retirement. There is certainly enough material out there for such a project. For one, there is potential studio outtakes and alternate takes which really haven't seen any kind of official release. There is also the Southampton show which was originally part of the 30th box set, before being pulled and has had bits released over the years. There is also the Montreal show in '81, which has only seen very small parts officially released. Then you have Bob's Grail tapes as well. For footage, well there is a lot of rumours, but certainly it seems some footage of the band in '81 and '82 in Detroit exists in at least some form. There is also the Capital Theater show from 1981 and possibly 1981's Day on the Green. Then as far as speculation goes, there is footage of other bands from Selland Arena in Fresno (including Sabbath in 1976), Asbury Park Convention Hall and Sam Houston Coliseum where the band played in '81 and '82. So it's entirely possible that several proshot concerts could exist.

I don't suspect we will get this all at once, and I think the band will hold back for a 50th release as well. The problem with EU copyright law is that alot of this material can be released by 3rd party owners of the footage after 50 years expires. All across rock you are seeing bands as big as The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan releasing yearly sets to capitalize on expiring copyrights. This comes most into play when others beyond the band and their label have copies of audio or video recordings. In Ozzy's case, most of this material is actually out there in others hands. The Montreal show from 1981, Bob's Grail tape, and any of the in house proshot footage that is out there in the hands of collectors could be legally released after the 50th year they were recorded in has expired without the Osbournes permission. I suspect this will force the best stuff to be negotiated on and released in the next 15 years. Most likely in the form of a 40th set and a 50th set.

Ozzy's career has been about moving forward, but once there is nowhere else to proceed in that direction I think it'll be time for a long hard look back and clearly the material from his solo career of the most interest and marketability is the Randy Rhoads stuff. With Jack's obvious interest in that era as well I think it's just a matter of time until we finally start to see some of the things we've long hoped for. At least I hope. It's now or never.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

I certainly don't want to hold my breath any longer. 50th anniversary... How many people that care will still be around? Not too many.
I would assume that they still have all the studio outtakes so those would be a nice starting point. Finally cut a deal with Bob for the grail tapes but again I wouldn't hold my breath for those. I'd rather Bob released those himself as some sort of independent release instead of the edited half assed release we'd get as an official OZZY release. Fingers crossed we don't get disappointed again like all these years we've been waiting.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

While i'm not holding my breath I certainly hope what you are speculation does turn out to be a "thing"

But what is scary to me is the fact that next year is the 40th anniversary of Blizzard :shock: .... shit it only seems like 2 or 3 years ago they released the 30th anni box set :lol:
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I’ve been thinking about this as well for the last few months and thought about posting a similar thread. There defineltey seems to be a slow build up happening over the last year or so, whether or not it’s intenual remains to be seen.

Nothing specific in regards to an anniversary, just a lot more references to the blizzard and diary albums coming from the Osbourne’s. It’s like little pebbles being dropped for us.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Just to add to the fire...check out the new 3D vinyl of the diary of madman album on Ozzys site.. Really nice looking, usually don’t buy stuff like that but it does look pretty cool 8)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Shockwave wrote:Just to add to the fire...check out the new 3D vinyl of the diary of madman album on Ozzys site.. Really nice looking, usually don’t buy stuff like that but it does look pretty cool 8)
yeah looks great. A bit to rich for my blood but awesome.

I would love to see something like Iron Maiden Powerslave 3D...that would be awesome
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

I'm holding out for the 100th year anniversary. Should be a real Hoot!
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

You know, the years go by now and I don't even notice. And you know what I get the most enjoyment out of? Listening to the albums over and over, hearing something in a little different way for the first time, and just enjoying them. I'll throw on the formally released live stuff (Tribute, Ozzy Live) for a change of pace, appreciating the guitar playing but hating how Ozzy redid his vocals on some stuff and the shows were spliced together from different sources - with other audio enhancements. Yeah, we know other stuff is out there - a vault full of live recordings (confirmed by Kevin Churko), select video, studio outtakes, etc. but the economics of cleaning the stuff up and releasing it all probably doesn't ever make it worth releasing financially.

Although I don't ever expect it, I would only want the bits and pieces that are already out there formatted in the right way with their original integrity - the original King Biscuit Flower Hour Cleveland Hall Recording with the original guitar solo and original vocals; same for the Southhampton and Montreal shows. That would be a nice unadulterated 3 show package. For kicks, throw in the best Diary Tour show you can find. I don't know. Those of us that love Randy could listen to dozens of live shows and find the differences and beauty in each one of them. As for the video, don't know what to say, but The Grail should've been part of the re-issued BOO and DOAM bonus tracks (along with extended song versions and rare studio outtakes).
CEddy10165

Post by CEddy10165 »

What else should be included in the box if there was one? I’d want full un faded band takes and randy only guitar tracks in addition to what was mentioned above. I’d like the full Dee session with breakdowns if it runs longer than tribute.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

CEddy10165 wrote:What else should be included in the box if there was one? I’d want full un faded band takes and randy only guitar tracks in addition to what was mentioned above. I’d like the full Dee session with breakdowns if it runs longer than tribute.

Regarding your last comment about Randy isolated tracks. I don’t see this happening at all for the 40th anniversary. However, I have been thinking about this for awhile now in general. Most all bands have been re-releasing there back catalog and essentially emptying the tank as far as material from those albums. I believe the next trend in the industry is going to be re-releasing (again) of everyone’s catalogs which will include the individual tracks for each instrument/vocals. Especially true for the more prominent bands that had some of the best players/vocalist ever.

It’s really the last remaining part for the bands to capitalize on from those albums. It just needs to start happening, which may or may not. I think it will though within the next 10-15 years.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

The wicked witch will release the isolated bass and drum tracks from the DOAM 2002 reissue I'm betting. Most likely include some of my photoshop artwork and claim that too.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

40th year of BOO/DOAM, means the 40th Anniversary of Randy's passing.....

I still remember putting the banner on this website for the 25th. Pretty old these days.