What would you value a lesson tape from Randy Rhoads?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

What would you value a lesson tape from Randy Rhoads?

Post by orion_damage »

Just out of curiosity, if you had a source who was willing to sell their lesson tapes with Randy what would you offer? Talking a per tape basis and unreleased.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: What would you value a lesson tape from Randy Rhoads?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ask Frank he has a few lesson tapes he has shared them with some of the guys on here. It's a hard one to value and if it is actually RR playing guitar. Some chancers have tried to replicate this in the past, but they got found out. As you don't know if you've scored for an exclusive item or a copy of a copy...How many are in circulation how many times have any of those lesson tapes been shared. You'd be pissed if you paid £$£$£$$£$ for it then realised it's up on youtube.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Ask Frank he has a few lesson tapes he has shared them with some of the guys on here. It's a hard one to value and if it is actually RR playing guitar. Some chancers have tried to replicate this in the past, but they got found out. As you don't know if you've scored for an exclusive item or a copy of a copy...How many are in circulation how many times have any of those lesson tapes been shared. You'd be pissed if you paid £$£$£$$£$ for it then realised it's up on youtube.
These would be legit with conversation between the student and Randy.

Let's just say these are legit and unreleased. I'll message Frank and see if he can shed some light on it.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah these one's that turned up had conversation and some guy drowling on in a Randy like tone.. What i'm saying is your putting a value on something that is / or would appear to be exclusive and THE original tape(s). Imagine for example Frank shared his tapes with somone on here and they decided to pass a copy onto their friend. They then shared it with some other mates and it ended up on a guitar forum. Then they shared it amongst the guys over there. How do you put a value on it..It's a buyers market you cannot put a figure on something you've never heard, or what it's contents are. It's like the guys who tried to put a price on the Grail. One guy could say ok i'llgive you £100 and the other saying well i'm good for £10K. Message Frank he may be able to help you out.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah these one's that turned up had conversation and some guy drowling on in a Randy like tone.. What i'm saying is your putting a value on something that is / or would appear to be exclusive and THE original tape(s). Imagine for example Frank shared his tapes with somone on here and they decided to pass a copy onto their friend. They then shared it with some other mates and it ended up on a guitar forum. Then they shared it amongst the guys over there. How do you put a value on it..It's a buyers market you cannot put a figure on something you've never heard, or what it's contents are. It's like the guys who tried to put a price on the Grail. One guy could say ok i'llgive you £100 and the other saying well i'm good for £10K. Message Frank he may be able to help you out.
Well said, couldn't agree more.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah these one's that turned up had conversation and some guy drowling on in a Randy like tone.. What i'm saying is your putting a value on something that is / or would appear to be exclusive and THE original tape(s). Imagine for example Frank shared his tapes with somone on here and they decided to pass a copy onto their friend. They then shared it with some other mates and it ended up on a guitar forum. Then they shared it amongst the guys over there. How do you put a value on it..It's a buyers market you cannot put a figure on something you've never heard, or what it's contents are. It's like the guys who tried to put a price on the Grail. One guy could say ok i'llgive you £100 and the other saying well i'm good for £10K. Message Frank he may be able to help you out.
Well said, couldn't agree more.
Right on, figured so. Basically a "whatever it sells for" kind of thing.
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

I know Peter Margolis has some lesson tapes; I bought some magazines from him off eBay. When the stuff came, it had his name on the return label. I emailed him asking what other Randy-goodies he might still have. As far as I remember he said he only had the tapes, but was going to wait and list them on some sort of auction-house type site.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Quiet Riot: The Randy Rhoads Years documentary/book by Andrew Klein and Ron Sobol has some excerpts from Peter's tapes featuring Randy playing Van Halen tunes...
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The Quiet Riot: The Randy Rhoads Years documentary/book by Andrew Klein and Ron Sobol has some excerpts from Peter's tapes featuring Randy playing Van Halen tunes...
Which is pretty awesome.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

This may be an obvious question for everyone but I'm curious. Which would be of higher value, a lesson tape or Ozzy/Randy concert footage?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Orion are you going for the most posts reward of the month FFS chill out man. I've just answered this one for you and yeah it is an obvious question. It's a buyers market, it would create a price of what your pocket would want to pay for it.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

[quote="GUITARIDOL5682"]Orion are you going for the most posts reward of the month FFS chill out man. I've just answered this one for you and yeah it is an obvious question. It's a buyers market, it would create a price of what your pocket would want to pay for it.[/quote]
Don’t you mean a sellers market?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

frank wrote: Don’t you mean a sellers market?
Well that depends if your selling or buying... You can put a value on something but you cannot guarantee it will sell for that price.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I listened to the lesson tapes I have in my collection yesterday and I've gotta say that I value them more than any other RR memorabilia I've got. Randy was a teacher and an inspiration. Hearing him impart his wisdom and knowledge is incredible to me.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

orion_damage wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:The Quiet Riot: The Randy Rhoads Years documentary/book by Andrew Klein and Ron Sobol has some excerpts from Peter's tapes featuring Randy playing Van Halen tunes...
Which is pretty awesome.
I got out the DVD this morning and was looking at the extras which has a 6 minute clip of a lesson and at one point Randy is playing Steal Away and Peter comments on how cool it sounds and asks if it's a song to which Randy responds that no. it's just a progression...

Makes me want to here Bob's tapes to hear the guys presenting material during songwriting...