New Photo with Black Les Paul?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

meadsie

New Photo with Black Les Paul?

Post by meadsie »

Before anyone shoots me down - I have found this on the web,

Never seen Randy and the original line up with a Black Les Paul before - anyone?!
Attachments
RR.JPG
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: New Photo with Black Les Paul?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've seen that one... still a great shot
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Was this in the pub nearby Ridge Farm-studios? I think so... :?
Mikel
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

stealaway wrote:Was this in the pub nearby Ridge Farm-studios? I think so... :?
It looks to me as if the photo was taken on tour but not at The Plough Inn which was the pub they went to when recording at Ridge Farm. Lee's wearing a back-stage pass so it was probably taken at some venue before a gig, hence no drinks on the table. Randy looks as if he's already dressed to go on stage but he didn't use a black Les Paul on the UK tour so who knows where that came from?!
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That guitar is one of John Thomas's guitar's that he had on the 1980 UK tour. Randy was getting used to playing it as he had it on stage as a second guitar in case he snapped a string. I mentioned this guitar a while ago but the thread must of been lost when the site went down a few years ago. I had a conversation with JT about this guitar a few months before he died. Its a '68 LP which has recently been sold by a guitar shop that collects guitars from the stars. I seen a photo from the Hammersmith odeon and you can see this guitar and the PDV on stands at the side of the stage. But i cannot find the photo, it was one of Ross Halfin's.
Attachments
John Thomas 68 LP guitar.jpg
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I would say that the black & white photo is from Glasgow looking at what clothes the band are wearing here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8609&hilit=Glasgow+apollo ...coincidence or not but Lee's pass is clipped on in the same position. Both Bob and Ozzy have the same clothes on. A bit detective work on my behalf and i have this photo wrapped up ;-) I must admit i did originally think it was taking in the Plough pub while recording Blizzard.
Attachments
Ozzy Bob Lee & Randy Glasgow 1980.JPG
Ozzy Bob & Lee Glasgow 1980.jpg
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Nice pic of RR with a black LP...Wish he would have played it live some as I like RR with a black LP.