The Grail is Dead...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: The Grail is Dead...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Trigger wrote:The saddest thing is that so much interest faded and lost its momentum when the 30th anniversary releases of Blizzard and Diary were released.

These sites did a lot to keep randy's memory alive when his family and the O's limited access to new material. My fear is that the 30th and the new materials that went with it killed off the pursuit of the grail type stuff.

I'd agree 100%
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Nobody cares anymore save a select few of us. Unfortunately
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Donnie wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Hard to miss what we never had.
that was only true until these came out
http://bobdaisley.com/content/blizzard- ... holy-grail
Don't get me wrong, I've said many times that I'd rather hear these tapes than see any footage... to me Bob's tapes would give amazing insight into the brilliance of the musicians as they create. I'd love to hear how they went from an idea to a classic masterpiece.

However, it appears that we'll never get to hear this stuff beyond these little snippets, and I'm fine with that. So I'll rephrase, I don't miss what I never had.
I understand what your saying but my argument is the Beatles Anthology has great outtakes and I actually prefer some of those over the studio version..aka obldi oblada, happines is a warm gun, mean mr mustard.
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

for me at this point it doesnt matter.the morons in charge of his legacy killed it a long time ago with all of their stupiditys
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

it might be hopeless but I still have hope.....
maybe someday..
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Donnie wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Hard to miss what we never had.
that was only true until these came out
http://bobdaisley.com/content/blizzard- ... holy-grail
Exactly! Haven't heard this for a while, but wow that CT solo rips! 8)
The room where most of Bob's tapes were recorded has great acoustics and a high ceiling, ( thought i would add that !)when they were there there weren't any recording facilities, but years later Cozy Powell once said it was the best drum room he had ever used! i honestly think Blizzard would've sounded better recorded there than Ridge Farm but there you go....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote: The room where most of Bob's tapes were recorded has great acoustics and a high ceiling, ( thought i would add that !)when they were there there weren't any recording facilities, but years later Cozy Powell once said it was the best drum room he had ever used! i honestly think Blizzard would've sounded better recorded there than Ridge Farm but there you go....
Bob's tapes ? what room ? are you on about his Grail tapes ?...Are you compairing Monnow valley studios to Ridge farm..? Your post isn't clear..cheers
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Yeah Bob's Grail tapes that room is great really high ceiling, Drums sound really good there, Blizzard would've sounded great but the place didn't have the facilities back then have a listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1lo_oDs5Y ( 1994)
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I honestly think they used Ridge farm for the facilities around them. they had a good repoire with the family who run the business. Plus many bands had big albums recorded there and many other bands followed suit after Ozzy's albums. As far as Bob's tapes they weren't just recorded in one room all those hours of tapes are surely recorded in various rehearsal rooms / studios etc. How do you know what tracks are recorded from what room venue etc ? Or are you just giving your mates studio another plug for mates rates ?.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Double post *
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Yeah, the tapes were recorded in lots of places, mostly when they were writing and developing new songs but also when they were auditioning drummers, and the odd keyboard player.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:Yeah, the tapes were recorded in lots of places, mostly when they were writing and developing new songs but also when they were auditioning drummers, and the odd keyboard player.
Out of interest how many different tapes are in the collection ? as i could imagine when the player was recording what ever session etc... it was just left running ?.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote:Yeah, the tapes were recorded in lots of places, mostly when they were writing and developing new songs but also when they were auditioning drummers, and the odd keyboard player.
Out of interest how many different tapes are in the collection ? as i could imagine when the player was recording what ever session etc... it was just left running ?.
A lot of the time it was just left running. There were about a dozen C90 tapes some with bits and pieces on, some full, others partially used. These were transferred onto 6 CDs, about 7 or 8 hours. Most of the stuff is them writing songs and trying out ideas. Some songs, like Diary of a Madman have got Lee singing because Ozzy wasn't there when that song was written so Lee came up with the vocal melody and the tape was played to Ozzy later.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I wish i hadn't asked now it's like dangling carrots... Cheers for the info you tease ;-)
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
A lot of the time it was just left running. There were about a dozen C90 tapes some with bits and pieces on, some full, others partially used. These were transferred onto 6 CDs, about 7 or 8 hours. Most of the stuff is them writing songs and trying out ideas. Some songs, like Diary of a Madman have got Lee singing because Ozzy wasn't there when that song was written so Lee came up with the vocal melody and the tape was played to Ozzy later.
Do you recall what of Tonight is on there?