Randy's gear future speculation

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's gear future speculation

Post by Cryptic Night »

Shockwave wrote:Ok you dinks got to me. After reading around about the ax fx again my impressions as well as others is still the same. Not switching to one at point in time.

So of course I'm looking for something to buy now along the lines of a phaser in the $200-$300 range or a new pedalboard to house all my pedals, along with power supply. The latter could cost as much as $500 for what would be willing to pay. The search for all this led me back to looking at fractals fx8's boards for $999. I have always wanted an enclosed system like that for as long as I have been playing back to 89. Mainly because of Randy's and Pete Cornish's boards have that same enclosed look. After looking up reviews I don't think I have found a bad one. Woke up this morning and said fuck it and ordered it. More surprisingly I didn't know fractal is based is bard out of NH and only about 20 minutes from me. Unit will be deliveredtomorrow so that's cool.

What really got me to buy it is that I will get about $800 for my current pedals if I unload them all. I'll probably keep my analogman sd1 and yellow MXR 3 knob chorus that looks like it just came off the production line. In the end if I keep the fx8 I'll probably have only paid $300 for it after selling my pedals.
Hope you like it! The Axe FX 2 is used by many big name acts (Not 100% sure how popular the Kemper is with big name acts, but I'm sure it's used by many as well). Not all of them use the Axe FX 2 as an amp. Some just use it for the FX alone. The FX8 is basically just a stripped down version of the Axe FX 2.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Cryptic Night wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Ok you dinks got to me. After reading around about the ax fx again my impressions as well as others is still the same. Not switching to one at point in time.

So of course I'm looking for something to buy now along the lines of a phaser in the $200-$300 range or a new pedalboard to house all my pedals, along with power supply. The latter could cost as much as $500 for what would be willing to pay. The search for all this led me back to looking at fractals fx8's boards for $999. I have always wanted an enclosed system like that for as long as I have been playing back to 89. Mainly because of Randy's and Pete Cornish's boards have that same enclosed look. After looking up reviews I don't think I have found a bad one. Woke up this morning and said fuck it and ordered it. More surprisingly I didn't know fractal is based is bard out of NH and only about 20 minutes from me. Unit will be deliveredtomorrow so that's cool.

What really got me to buy it is that I will get about $800 for my current pedals if I unload them all. I'll probably keep my analogman sd1 and yellow MXR 3 knob chorus that looks like it just came off the production line. In the end if I keep the fx8 I'll probably have only paid $300 for it after selling my pedals.
Hope you like it! The Axe FX 2 is used by many big name acts (Not 100% sure how popular the Kemper is with big name acts, but I'm sure it's used by many as well). Not all of them use the Axe FX 2 as an amp. Some just use it for the FX alone. The FX8 is basically just a stripped down version of the Axe FX 2.
It's great though that they offer the AX8 which is the FXII without the poweramp and it's all built into a pedalboard. From what I read though it's not as transparent as the FX8 and has some other minor issues that bother some. If I like the FX8 I would probably wait for the next gen AX8 for some fixes and added features on the board itself it has in the current gen.

I have no problem with kemper but always hated that spaceship design they have going on. At least put the thing in a regular Marshall shell or something.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

After a long time being gone , I think randy would stay with Gibson for his Les Paul's, he would stay with Jackson due to liking his customs, and for some reason I think he would get a signature series from ESP
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Nick wrote:After a long time being gone , I think randy would stay with Gibson for his Les Paul's, he would stay with Jackson due to liking his customs, and for some reason I think he would get a signature series from ESP
Randy playing an ESP.

Yes.... i like it.
friday

Post by friday »

RR being from that generation would have gone full circle and be hanging off a signature Les Paul and a signature Marshall

Id dread hearing him play full classical solos , his style was stand out because it hinted at classical structure with rock/blues over the top = short and sweet .
YJM does the full classical thing , and its tiresome .